Hello There, Guest! Register

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
POLY-SKIN or VACUUM full cap anyone?
10-29-2008, 04:43 PM,
POLY-SKIN or VACUUM full cap anyone?
I'm looking for a full piece that stays on my head well, and looks natural around the edges if possible.

I've had a couple lace units. They have natural edges, but they aren't very secure and the hair doesn't look like it's coming out of my scalp. Has anyone tried a poly skin full piece? Does it really "vacuum" to the scalp like the Peggy Knight vacuum wigs? Do the edges look natural?

PS. I just received an iLace order, but it wasn't what I hoped for. I didn't know there would be a different lace (2"~3") around the edges. If I part the hair, I can see where the two types of laces connect. The only way it would work well is with bangs.
10-30-2008, 05:17 AM,
Re: Need Full Piece Advice
AlopeciaChica Wrote:I'm looking for a full piece that stays on my head well, and looks natural around the edges if possible.

I've had a couple lace units. They have natural edges, but they aren't very secure and the hair doesn't look like it's coming out of my scalp. Has anyone tried a poly skin full piece?

An all lace full cap is the ultimate.

Not very secure? How are you attaching? Are you talking about a piece for daily removal? If not, try using a strong tape such as blue liner, st30, supertape, walker no shine, or dura-flex, and finishing the very edges with white glue. the piece isn't going ANYWHERE, I promise you.
10-30-2008, 05:26 PM,
Re: Need Full Piece Advice
JRob Wrote:Not very secure? How are you attaching? Are you talking about a piece for daily removal? If not, try using a strong tape such as blue liner, st30, supertape, walker no shine, or dura-flex, and finishing the very edges with white glue. the piece isn't going ANYWHERE, I promise you.

Hi JRob,
Thanks for your reply Smile

I currently have a lace full cap, but I do take it off daily so on most days I just glue the sides. When I need it to be more secure, I use blue liner all around the edges.

It's been pretty good, but not quite as good as a vacuum wig which would be secured throughout, not use at the edges. I'm wondering if anyone has tried poly-skin pieces?
10-31-2008, 11:06 AM,
Re: POLY-SKIN or VACUUM full cap anyone?
Hi alopeciachica;
a vacuum cap that stays on the scalp with no glue is great for many of my chemo clients whose Dr's don't want them using glues or tapes. One must have a completely bald head in order for it to work though....there must be no hair at all for it to actually vacuum to your scalp.
If you remove daily, its a great option....as long as you have NO hair at all.
DebbieS.
10-31-2008, 11:52 AM,
Does the vacuum cap really stay on without any adhesive, Debbie?
10-31-2008, 12:32 PM,
yes, as long as you wet it a little (picture in your mind's eye those suction cup things that you have to wet in order for them to adhere to a wall or mirror). you will not get an undetectable edge with a vacuum cap though, its a polyskin unit, you can dampen your bald head slightly and it will adhere pretty good........but like I said, you will not get an undetectable edge with one....don't even try. Smile
you would have to wear bangs or something.
for an undetectable full cap...I think all lace is the only way to go.
DebbieS.
11-01-2008, 02:17 PM,
Thanks for your reply Debbie.

Dino, here is Peggy Knight and her well-secured no-glue full cap:
<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RNn9K2sy0RE">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RNn9K2sy0RE</a><!-- m -->

If it really stays on this well, I'd be able to do MMA lessons and such! Smile

As for the undetectable edge, PK seems to have started a new base - vacuum with lace edges:
<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://peggyknight.com/index.php?md=70">http://peggyknight.com/index.php?md=70</a><!-- m -->

If TopLace can do something like that - GREAT! If not, bangs will work. Guys might have to stick to a more skater/hippie/emo look.

Debbie, do you know if there is a difference between the thick and thin polyskin, and which one is better?
11-02-2008, 10:27 AM,
toplace can definitely do a vacuum system with lace edges....but it seems to me that the lace would elimate the actual vacuum. not sure though as I haven't tried it.
but yes, toplace will make anything you want....you design it, they can make it .
I would do the vacuum system with a 2" lace front ...that seems like it would be the best choice, but the lace will not vacuum to your scalp, you would need to glue or tape that small 2" frontal area.
DebbieS.
11-02-2008, 12:32 PM,
Thanks Debbie.

Is it possible to get a sample of poly-skin/lace combo before ordering the real thing?

I would like to see different types of poly-skins too, if TL has thin and thick ones.

I suppose these are question I should ask TL directly. I'll post back to the forum Wink
11-02-2008, 02:15 PM,
email John at <!-- e --><a href="mailto:[email protected]">[email protected]</a><!-- e --> and ask him about samples. he may have some lace samples and poly samples but I'm not sure.
DebbieS.