Hello There, Guest! Register

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Question for Debbie & others with stock system experience
10-31-2008, 01:55 PM,
Question for Debbie & others with stock system experience
I have never cut a lace base on a stock system before and am wondering if you can tell me how to cut the base without cutting the hair that would lay over edge of the cut? I am assuming this is best done with the system upside down on a styro head with the template pinned over it? Using hair clips helps a little but it seems hair is always in the way. Also, using clips presents challenges when turning the hair system upside down on the styro head to make the cut as the lace no longer conforms to the styro head with clips underneath. Any help you can give would be much appreciated.
10-31-2008, 02:52 PM,
Bump
Bump
10-31-2008, 05:24 PM,
Re: Question for Debbie & others with stock system experience
This is a personal preference, but my rule of thumb is to use scissors when you aren't cutting into the hair itself, and use a sharp xacto knife when you are cutting a base with hair on both sides.

The trick to using a knife is to hold the piece in such a manner that there is no tension on the hair. The tension should be on the BASE. Any hair that is in the vicinity of the knife should fall loose and free. If you do it this way, there is very little chance of cutting the hair itself. I even used this method to trim excess from a piece that was ON A PERSONS HEAD!

Scissors will work too, but you have to be really careful not to get those hairs trapped where they will be cut. I just find it much easier to use a knife once you get the feel for holding it correctly.
11-02-2008, 02:21 AM,
Thanks Jrob. I was planning on using a styrofoam head however that would probably cause the hairs to push up against too close to the base I am cutting with the blade. You must have the hands of a brain surgeon if you trust yourself enough to cut a base with a razor while on someones head Confusedhock: That is unless brain surgery was the intention :lol:
11-02-2008, 02:48 AM,
Actually, with lace bases, I've found that a small pair of very sharp scissors (like manicure scissors from any drugstore) works better than a razor blade or anything similar.
The lace bases are stretchy and I've always found the blade to be harder to get a nice line.
With the small scissors it's easy to get just the very tip of the blade under the lace (without stretching the base) and still away from the hair.
Give 'em both a try.

Smile
Fred (StealthTJ)