Hello There, Guest! Register

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Hairstylist in NYC
12-27-2008, 05:48 PM,
Hairstylist in NYC
Hi members,

I am not sure if anyone here tried one of the hairstylists in NYC (never saw any posting about her so far). Her name is Blanca. Just in case you are wondering if she is experienced. Well, she has over 30 years of experience in hair cutting. I gave it a shot and I was blown away by how well she "created" my looks. She blended in with my own hair VERY WELL on the sides and back which you will not see colors mis-match at all. She trimmed my own hair first and then cut in the pieces one after another (with the tapes on, of course). By the way, you got to cut down the bases yourself before you go there.

She is extremely friendly and outspoken. She talked to me anything from hair issues, work, watches to smoking ;o) She's located right across Empire State Building (opposite Walgreen/next to Chase bank) and salon is called Blanca's Hair Design and the address is 347 Fifth Avenue NY, NY 10016 tel# 212-213-0351 (strictly by appointment only). Although it in the heart of the city, do not expect it to look very fancy. It is just a regular hair salon (the hairstylists downstairs cut real hair) and she is on the top floor (so, it is semi private as the hairstylists downstairs will not go up there in case you do not feel comfortable being seen by any stranger). She is the only hairstylist that cuts in hairpieces and she makes templates too.

Call and set up an appointment with her and I am sure you will walk away with no disappointment (yes, with GREAT SATISFACTION) just like me. Show her the hairstyle(s) (on your camera or print-out) and tell her the lengths that you desire, she will work with you. Rest assured that your piece(s) will be in good hands.

Happy 2009 in advance........signing out..........
12-27-2008, 08:05 PM,
Re: Hairstylist in NYC
Tell blanca I said hello. I have been to her before twice. She does a nice job. shes a nice lady, and makes you feel very comfortable. I recommend her as well.

regards
12-28-2008, 04:11 AM,
Hi Xeon,

Yes, I will.

She is indeed a very nice lady. Glad to know that you liked her too ;o)

Greenery
12-29-2008, 06:45 AM,
What are her rates for cutting a new piece?
12-29-2008, 03:45 PM,
Hi Tapehead,

Call her to find out (tell her how many units you have).

Greenery
12-30-2008, 03:21 AM,
What experience does she have with pieces ?

I go to Di Di in New York City ....
She apprenticed in the Vidal Sasson hair salon
and worked for years in Richard Farrell's hair
replacement center ...

She's at this website

<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://www.hairnaturallyperfect.com/">http://www.hairnaturallyperfect.com/</a><!-- m -->
12-30-2008, 05:10 AM,
Hi Thecount,

If I am not mistaken, she has over 15 years of experience in pieces (30 years of experience in hair cutting in total). In some instances, people in the same industry for decades but still not able to "perfect" something to make customers happy. So, it depends on the person's willingness to learn, share and how fast he/she learns things (very important to keep up with the times and upgrade the skills from time to time). Of course, sometimes no matter how good a hairstylist is can never please the entire world. All I can say is that at least I am happy with her skill and personality and I feel extremely confident now. So is Xeon (satisfied).

I believe Didi is good even though I never tried her. It is just a preference and cutting in hairpieces should really be undertaken hairstylists recommended by members instead of those that work in regular hair salons (some are good too but I am sure nobody wants to take a risk).

You can always let her cut-in a piece and see if you like it before letting her cut in 2nd or 3rd unit. Always remember that two-way communication is very important and she's very open to suggestions (she will tell you whether or not the style/length suits you).

Hope the above helps.

Greenery
12-31-2008, 11:25 AM,
Thanks Greenery ...
Appreciate your remarks ....

Always good to have another stylist on
the backburner .... especially in the NYC area ...

Growing up in Greenwich Village, and going to stylists
when I had a plethora of hair ... even though you may be
happy with a particular stylist ... sooner or later
Mine ... either got married .. had a kid .... joined
a cult ...or disappeared from the industry
completely

... or they Simply move to a new salon and never
contact you .... (and the old salon will never give out
their number)

So ... I appreciate the info ....

I'm going to keep your stylist in mind ... just
like I do with Di Di .... and Erin in Bayonne ...

Hey ... at the prices we pay for these pieces ..
(even though Toplace is the industry leader in providing
an extraordinary bargain and service in the
industry)
and the waiting time involved in the
manufacture of your piece ...

...... mine costs a bit extra because my order is
for longer hair ...

You certainly don't want a novice using your NEW piece
to begin learning a new skillset ..

And the more reviews of stylists on here ... the more
benefit for everyone on here ....If only to understand
what it is they should be looking for in a hair stylist

Bless those who have the time to spend 3-6 hours a week to
tweak their hair ...

For some of us . like me ....
it's way less expensive to learn a little self maintenance
and drop by a skilled stylist every 2-3 weeks .... Let her
do the roto-rooter job of making sure the little rug rat is
positioned ...washed and blended in perfectly ...
for undetectability ...

BTW: What are her rates ....?

I know for templates ... Erin in Bayonne is 45 .... Di Di
in 75 (but most of that goes to the Salon where she works
on percentage) .....

And cut-ins ... I'd have to check a back post of mine to
gather that info ...
01-03-2009, 06:50 PM,
Hi thecount,

Sorry for the late reply as I was out of town for a few days and just flew back today.

Yes, it is always good to know more than just one hairstylist in the same state.

Not too sure about her rates as to making templates (I do not send template as I always cut down the bases myself). Again, call her to find out.

Thanks.

Greenery