Hello There, Guest! Register

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
How do you avoid "wall of hair"?
11-08-2008, 02:01 PM,
How do you avoid "wall of hair"?
How do you specify the front hairline so you don't get an abrupt wall of hair that looks so un-natural? I usually order 55% with graduated to 45% in the front but I get as much hair in the front as anywhere else, if not more.

For realistic hairline, I think having finer strands of hair at the very front helps alot. Can you request finer hair in the front?

I think BA offers a service where his ventillator in Canada finishes the front hairline. Has anyone tried this service? How did it work?
11-08-2008, 02:43 PM,
Re: How do you avoid "wall of hair"?
very good question. I think it depends on the ventilator. Sometimes I get the wall, sometimes I don't. Maybe ask for a "thin" or "graduated" hairline. Even better, you could try sending a picture of the hairline you want.
11-08-2008, 04:16 PM,
I suggest you request a staggered hairline, and also, a flatback ventilation at the front. In my opinion, flatback ventilation at the front is the way to go for almost any type of hairstyle, even a comb down style.

Regards!!
11-09-2008, 03:46 AM,
jaycee Wrote:How do you specify the front hairline so you don't get an abrupt wall of hair that looks so un-natural? I usually order 55% with graduated to 45% in the front but I get as much hair in the front as anywhere else, if not more.

For realistic hairline, I think having finer strands of hair at the very front helps alot. Can you request finer hair in the front?

I think BA offers a service where his ventillator in Canada finishes the front hairline. Has anyone tried this service? How did it work?

As already suggested, order a graduated hairline. If the unit comes in without it you have two options. Remove some hair yourself (easy to do) or send it back. BA and John will take care of it, no problem.
Also, if you order less density in the front (and you surely should be able to see a 10% decrease as you ordered) and it doesn't come in like that, send it back. They'll make it good, trust me.

IMHO, the biggest mistake that people make is ordering too high of density, though in your case it doesn't appear so.

Smile
Fred
11-09-2008, 03:55 AM,
Sometimes I just build my own hairline by carefully plucking individual hairs after I`ve applied the hairpiece.

Get the hairs good and wet all the way soaked to the base, then use tweezers or something with a good grip to get a hold on the hairs and pull them slowly until the knot comes untied and keep pulling slowly until the hair is pulled out.
Do the same with some of the other hairs in a staggered and random fashion to recreate a natural hairline.

You want to pull the hairs out by the knot. You dont want to pull too fast and break the hair, ir you`ll be left with the knot and a short hair, get a bunch of these and it`ll look out of place.
It may be necessary to to apply some conditioner so the knots will loosen up.
11-09-2008, 04:59 AM,
I also specify a staggered and graduated hairline in my orders.
11-09-2008, 05:44 AM,
MichiganBaldy Wrote:Sometimes I just build my own hairline by carefully plucking individual hairs after I`ve applied the hairpiece.

You want to pull the hairs out by the knot. You dont want to pull too fast and break the hair, ir you`ll be left with the knot and a short hair, get a bunch of these and it`ll look out of place.

With French lace I do this with the unit off the head with the hair dry. If you use eyebrow type tweezers (the kind with the "paddles" on the ends) and grab the hair close to the knot and pull quickly, it will break the knot (which is the weakest point) and both sides of the hair will come out.

You just have to experiment for yourself. There isn't a right or wrong way to do it, as long as it works for you go for it.

My last thread "Hairline so real it's SCARY" was done this way. Granted, it has shed down more since then and has some thin spots, but it has looked good since day 1.
11-10-2008, 07:46 AM,
Isn't there an ancient Chinese warning against messing with one's hairline on a hairpiece? Seriously, I think several others have posted in the past about not messing with your hairline. I like to think that I'm not the clumbsiest of bloaks when it comes to servicing my own piece, but I have also botched up several hairpieces over the years by tampering with the hairline. I know it is all too tempting, because that wall of hair is annoying. I'd like to see a video showing someone crafting his hairline with before and after pictures.
11-11-2008, 03:54 PM,
dino Wrote:Isn't there an ancient Chinese warning against messing with one's hairline on a hairpiece? Seriously, I think several others have posted in the past about not messing with your hairline. I like to think that I'm not the clumbsiest of bloaks when it comes to servicing my own piece, but I have also botched up several hairpieces over the years by tampering with the hairline. I know it is all too tempting, because that wall of hair is annoying. I'd like to see a video showing someone crafting his hairline with before and after pictures.

I think it depends upon the ventilation that you start with. If the hair is ventilated single strand and the knots are bleached well going far enough back, it isn't going to hurt to do a little plucking.

I don't have any before and after video, but my recent thread shows a pic of a pretty incredible looking hairline that was heavily modified.
11-11-2008, 05:48 PM,
As MB recommended, I think you have to pull out the entire hair. I was not patient enough and plucked hair with a pair of tweezers, ususally breaking 1/2 of double knots at the base. It looked ok for a while but after a few days, the other half of broken double knots unraveled and started to fall out. Not the density is too thin, with some bald spots. I had to send it to Debbie to get hair added.