Hello There, Guest! Register

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
What are hair clips?
11-13-2008, 06:57 PM,
What are hair clips?
I was going through the old board and I see some people mentioning clips. Whats are they for? Right now Im on the fence about getting a wig or not so Im just looking to find as much info as possible. thanks
11-14-2008, 02:19 AM,
Re: What are hair clips?
Hi Baldingsucks,
Welcome to the forum! Hair clips are small clips used to attach a hair system. The clips are sewn into the perimeter of a hair system and clip on to your existing hair in order to secure the system. The downside of this method of attachment is that it pulls on your existing hair and you could lose that hair too. It's called traction alopecia. Only a handful of our customers request clips. Almost everyone uses either tape or glue to attach. Another downside to the clips is that although they're not visible they are detectable to touch--you can feel them.
Regards,
John
11-14-2008, 11:52 AM,
Here's a picture of some clips:

[Image: yhst-75478444838093_2028_3911]

They're made of a type of spring steel that when allowed to bend in its natural direction, the space between the teeth and the plate they're mounted on closes up. If you flex them in the opposite direction, they snap open a bit to make room between the teeth and the plate. So you'd pop them open before putting your system on your head, and imbed the teeth through your own hair a bit, then snap them shut by pressing on them through the system. The teeth on most of them are coated with a kind of silicon rubber to keep them from sliding off your hair once they're snapped shut. It's actually a pretty clever little mechanical device.

As John mentioned, if you wear a system all the time and use clips, you'll need to become adept at cutting them loose from time to time and re-sewing them back into slightly different positions to keep them from always tugging at your own hair in the same spots. From personal experience, you don't want to sleep in a system that is attached with clips as they will dig into your scalp and keep you awake. Even reclining in a chair or resting your head on the back of the seat in the car can be painful with clips. They can be visible through lace depending on where they are located or if they are shiny.
11-19-2008, 04:08 PM,
Clips suck don't use them. I don't wear now but did for the 1st time in high school and it was attached with clips. I have to marks on my completly shaved head where the traction alopecia occurred. So now I shave everyday otherwise those spots become even more noticeable.
11-19-2008, 07:57 PM,
^ you wore in highschool man? had to take a lot courage I bet. Why dont you wear anymore? convenience?