Hello There, Guest! Register

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Comfort of wear, different combos
11-15-2008, 01:53 AM,
Comfort of wear, different combos
In reading thru the forums, it seems that most posters find SFS the most comfortable to wear. I'm interested, as a soon to be new wearer, what peoples opinions are on different combinations.

Example, does a SFS unit that you attach with glue on the complete bald area still let your scalp breath, or does the glue layer(s) seem like a sheet of plastic wrap?

If attached with ST-30 around the perimeter & Walker contour front, does the tape create a torsion pull on your scalp?

Is a Thinskin base attached around the perimeter, or glue over the entire bald area? Is it recommended for somebody who runs hot (i.e. I sweat, can't sleep with the heat high in winter)

SFS vs. French - do they feel the same or is one rougher/scratchy?

Is the silk pillowcase thing a necessity?

What would survive & be breathable in a tropical climate, where a beach, water park or pool would be the everday event of 7+ days?
11-15-2008, 09:19 AM,
Re: Comfort of wear, different combos
Mr.NewYork Wrote:Example, does a SFS unit that you attach with glue on the complete bald area still let your scalp breath, or does the glue layer(s) seem like a sheet of plastic wrap?

Glue doesn't give a "plasticy" feel. Skin bases can be uncomfortable, especially in heat. Skin perimeters are a little better, but lace is the ultimate in comfort and invisibility.

Quote:If attached with ST-30 around the perimeter & Walker contour front, does the tape create a torsion pull on your scalp?

Depends on if you stretch it or not.

Quote:Is a Thinskin base attached around the perimeter, or glue over the entire bald area? Is it recommended for somebody who runs hot (i.e. I sweat, can't sleep with the heat high in winter)

Generally only the perimeter, some people also put a strip of glue or tape down the middle.

As for whether or not it's good for you....I recommend trying ALL common base types. Chances are you will favor one over the others, but a lot of people have several units with different base designs. That way you have options which can be helpful (skin base for quick cleanup, french lace for the "workhorse" piece, SFS for date night)

Quote:SFS vs. French - do they feel the same or is one rougher/scratchy?

I find SFS to be more comfortable than French, but it isn't nearly as durable.

Quote:Is the silk pillowcase thing a necessity?

I haven't broken down and bought a satin pillowcase yet, but I can tell you from researching moisture properties in processed hair that a pillowcase made from absorbent material like cotton most definitely wicks moisture out of the hair.

Others might tell you different, but I don't think that the pillowcase material has any bearing on "wear and tear" such as shedding. I wear full caps and my units shed evenly, despite the fact that I sleep on my back and only one part of the unit touches the pillow.

Quote:What would survive & be breathable in a tropical climate, where a beach, water park or pool would be the everday event of 7+ days?

Start with French lace and go from there. If you are going to be outside that much I would cover the hair as much as possible though. The UV rays will kill the color FAST.