Hello There, Guest! Register

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
How does colouring affect hairpiece?
11-24-2008, 09:58 PM,
How does colouring affect hairpiece?
Hi
I was wondering, is it ok to colour a piece after it arrives? or is it better to stick with the original colour? How does colouring affect the maintainance of the hairpiece?

I think it will be easier to blend in the hairpiece if I colour it together with my hair, but I'm worried the colours will fade at different rates and also the texture of the piece will be affected.

Regards
11-25-2008, 01:40 AM,
Re: How does colouring affect hairpiece?
If you send a hair sample or know your color (and highlight and/or grey if needed) by number and the factory gets it right, there's usually no reason why you should have to re-color a brand new piece. Plus, the original color resists fading and lasts longer than anything you do to it.
11-25-2008, 02:29 AM,
Di Di, my stylist, ordered my hairpiece blonde ...

She then dyed it dark brown, along with my
side hair, so the knots and base would disappear
into my scalp ...

And I guess from no one ever mentioning anything strange
about my hair ..

and I no longer see friends, relatives and strangers ....
discerning eyes traveling to the top of my scalp
like I did when I was using concealers for years ...
I guess DiDi's strategy is effective ...

Although ....I found, from my experience, that after
a week or so, the hair color she uses ... starts
to get a shade or two ... lighter in color ...

So now .. I have her touch up my own side hair
and the hair piece at the same time ... so as the color
fades ... both areas (natural and the piece) fade equally,

Keeping the hair illusion undetectable ...
the blend where the piece
meets my own natural hairline ....
11-25-2008, 10:03 AM,
It is my understanding that no matter what color the hair, it is all bleached blonde then died to achieve a standard uniform color.

I have an order for four units on the way but next time around I'm thinking of going all blonde and coloring the whole unit myself to ensure flawless knots. as was done with The Count. I would think that by doing this you wouldn't be adding any undue stress to the hair since the factory wouldn't have colored it the first time around, but on the other hand if it is has already been died by the factory and you are adding more color with a permanent coloring it could potentially reduce the life of the hair.

Debbie would probably be better equipped to field this question.
11-25-2008, 12:07 PM,
JRob:
I tried to send you a PM but it didn't work. So will ask. When you order 4 units how long do they last you before you order four more?

Macmike
11-25-2008, 02:59 PM,
macmike Wrote:JRob:
I tried to send you a PM but it didn't work. So will ask. When you order 4 units how long do they last you before you order four more?

Macmike

My only point of reference is the two units I have been using since February.

You are probably thinking "Ten months from two units! That's insane!", but you have to account for a few factors

1) One unit is currently unwearable, and the other is barely wearable

2) I have had a little hair added to both units one time each

3) One month out of the 10 I wore a temporary third piece that was a "defective unit" and not practical for everyday use so I technically got nine months out of 2 units

4) The density was about 5-10% too high to begin with, so that ADDED to the longevity

5) The hair itself wasn't the best I have had, and I had to bleach them a couple of shades which likely DECREASED the life of the systems

My guess is that I will probably be able to get a solid 4-5 months out of each with one hair add if the hair quality is good to begin with.