Hello There, Guest! Register

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Should I get a hairpiece?
11-25-2008, 03:35 PM,
Should I get a hairpiece?
Hi guys

I'm 27 this year and have been bearing with thinning for the last few years and am seriously considering getting a piece. I am using toppik currently and it is doing an ok job of covering my hair but it does not look half as good as the hair I used to have. I attached some pictures of my current hair so you guys can have a better idea of my situation. I got thinning at the top and receding at the temples, and styling my hair is a royal pain at times.

<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://img208.imageshack.us/my.php?image=dsc00210rn7.jpg">http://img208.imageshack.us/my.php?imag ... 210rn7.jpg</a><!-- m --> (slightly wet hair without toppik)

<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://img377.imageshack.us/my.php?image=dsc00228go1.jpg">http://img377.imageshack.us/my.php?imag ... 228go1.jpg</a><!-- m --> (dry hair without toppik)

Here are my concerns
1. For those of you who are wearing currently, will you wear if you were in my situation? How does the hassle of wearing hair compare to the hassle of using toppik? I'm ok with my current hair but not exactly happy, and if I'm going to lose more over the next few years, I might as well shave it and start wearing now?
but then I'm concerned that the stubble from shaving my existing hair will make wearing uncomfortable.

2. What is the maintainance like? Can anybody give an example of the daily/weekly/monthly routine? Should I wash the hair daily? And is it true that I can shampoo it just like I used to with my own hair? I heard about this but am not sure if its good for the hairpiece.

3. I'm on propecia and rogaine currently and have seen some very slight improvement over the last 6mths. But I'm not sure if there is still room for improvement. So I'm torn between giving the medication a chance and just shaving it off.

4. My job requires me to shuttle between Australia and Singapore. Any stylists to recommend in the area or can I just go to a normal stylist? (any special instructions to give them if so?) Also, when ordering does ordering an exact template make any difference to ordering one slightly larger and cutting it down?

Sorry for being so longwinded, do hope you all can give advice.

Regards
11-25-2008, 04:18 PM,
Re: Should I get a hairpiece?
Dude-are you kidding? I would Kill to have that hair! You have to be joking!
-ANDREW (NEVER ANDY)
11-25-2008, 05:18 PM,
I wish I was, mate, the thinning is quite obvious at the top of the head. I can get away with it by styling but its a headache every morning.

Do you have a picture of your current system so I can see what I should expect?

I saw some other guys who posted similar topics to mine, the7thson comes to mind, so I guess I'm not the only one with this problem.
11-26-2008, 05:23 AM,
Before you do something drastic, why don't you try a different style first? How would combing your hair backwards look, since you still have a lot of hair in front (it seems), and the thinning doesn't appear too bad in these pictures.

Leamon
11-26-2008, 08:09 AM,
If you're bothered by styling your hair each day, wearing requires much more maintenance.

Might be a bad candidate for a WIG.
11-26-2008, 09:23 AM,
use a little dermatch and you will be good to go. Your thinning is not at a level that requires wearing, at least not if the photos look accurate on my monitor ....and sometimes photos are deceiving so forgive me if I'm wrong. Dermatch should not take you more than 2 minutes to apply each morning and is much, much less maintenance than wearing.....
wearing is great for those that need it, you are simply, in my opinion, just not there yet. Obviously this is something that bothers you or else you wouldn't be here, and perhaps you will need our services in the future, but I honestly just don't think you are ready yet......you would have to shave what looks to be good viable hair in order to wear....and that doens't seem to be a necessary step yet.
Of course, Toplace will sell you a hair system if you REALLY think you need one, but I really don't think you do...I'm just trying to be honest. Have you tried the dermatch yet, in my opinion it is much less messy than topik and some others, easy to use and fairly inexpensive. (<!-- w --><a class="postlink" href="http://www.dermatch.com">www.dermatch.com</a><!-- w -->)
Let me know if I can help in any way....as I am not trying to be unhelpful to you, I really just hate to see someone with this amount of hair take such a big step. I think with a touch of dermatch, you will look fabulous!!
DebbieS.
11-26-2008, 10:43 AM,
DebbieS. Wrote:I think with a touch of dermatch, you will look fabulous!!
DebbieS.

I agree.
11-26-2008, 06:23 PM,
:? :? Common mate, dont waste your time on wig boards, when u have hair as good as that!

If you get a piece, you must be the most misguided person i've ever seen on a wig board.

Your hair looks great! Get out of this wig board and enjoy your life for g-d sakes.

Sam
11-26-2008, 07:54 PM,
Thanks for the advice guys. I was tempted because all your pictures look so fantastic. I guess I'll stick to propecia and dermatch and see how it goes. Thanks alot and good luck to all of you.
11-27-2008, 07:57 AM,
If I woke up tomorrow and had as much real hair as you, I'd feel like I'd won the hair lottery man ! LOL !