Hello There, Guest! Register

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Newbie needs help
12-06-2008, 08:29 PM,
Newbie needs help
Hello all,

As the title so subtly suggests (not really), I am a newbie who needs a bit of help with hair replacement. But I'll provide a bit of background information first.

I have a diffuse sort of thinning going on. It's more severe in certain areas of my head (mostly the frontal area, the top area, and to a noticable extent, the crown). My hair is jet black and my skin it kind of light (though the top of my head is a bit tanned... Sad ), so the thinning is very noticable. I'm not really bald in a particular area either, but I can imagine reaching that point in a couple of years.

I'm looking into hair systems as a solution, and toplace has good credentials. However, I'm not really sure what to order for my particular needs. I definitely do not have the head shape to pull off shaving, and I can still pull off looking like I've got hair with a hat on, so I don't want to shave my head and totally depend on the system to get by in everyday life.

I went to a local hair replacement expert to ask for her opinion, and she said that since I don't want to shave, I could go with clips. Also, since I still have a hairline (though thinning in the front), she said that she wanted to use my hairline hair along with the system. I'm not really sure how that would work, since to my knowledge, if it's not clipped on, the system is glued/taped to secure the piece onto the head (especially the frontal area). And if that were the case, I don't know how she would plan on using my real hairline hair to make the overall appearance look good.

Is there a way to integrate one's real hair with hair system hair for the frontal area? If there is, how would it work? I know there are integration bases, but those seem too wide and noticable to use for the frontal area (and I don't see them on the toplace system base section of the site). I don't know how the taping process works for the frontal hairline, but I would think that I'd have to place tape on top of my frontal hair follicles to keep the system on/behind my real hairline (which wouldn't really be using my hairline if the tape is going on top of it).

I suppose my real question is, what is the best way for me to achieve a realistic look with these considerations? Again, I'd prefer not to shave my hair if possible. I've seen on other websites where people with similar balding patterns as myself have used clips for the side and a partial piece to cover the affected areas, but rely on the system's bangs to cover up the front (which I don't mind, since I used to have my hair with some bangs in the front anyway). I've also heard a member of this forum mention getting full caps too (would that require shaving the head?).

Here is a link for visual references. My hair is sort of like a mix of II-2 and frontal.
<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://www.americanhairloss.org/img/content/savinscale.gif">http://www.americanhairloss.org/img/con ... nscale.gif</a><!-- m -->

Any feedback would be appreciated.
12-07-2008, 06:52 AM,
Re: Newbie needs help
a full cap would require shaving.
yes, you can use small clips to attach a topper piece....but you should know that they can cause traction alopecia in some people, meaning that the clips could damage the hair further in those areas where they attach. it is recommended that you move them around every month or so , so they are not always effecting the same strands of hair.
I would recommend an all french lace piece and sewing the smallest clips onto the base.
you would not want to sleep in the clips so you would lose that option .....but its definitely do-able as long as you know the ups and downs of it.
DebbieS.
12-07-2008, 10:23 AM,
Be sure to read this recent discussion thread about clips:

<!-- l --><a class="postlink-local" href="http://www.toplace.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=327&p=1864#p1864">viewtopic.php?f=2&t=327&p=1864#p1864</a><!-- l -->
12-07-2008, 11:38 AM,
yes, and I should also mention that you will not get the best possible look with clips and hair under the piece. for a nice, flawless look, the head should be shaved and the piece glued or taped into place. I'm not saying some don't achieve a good look with clips....but it is definitely harder to achieve a good look using clips and having hair showing through under the lace. remember that pink scalp showing through the lace is what makes it look as though hair is growing from the scalp, if you slick your hair down and put a lace piece over it, that eliminates that realistic scalp look.
It is a personal decision you will have to weigh, that's all. almost everyone on this board has been there at one point.
DebbieS.
12-07-2008, 03:08 PM,
Thanks a bunch Debbie. I'll take what you said into consideration. And thanks for the link RD.
12-07-2008, 03:33 PM,
Reca; remember that you wouldn't have to shave off the front of your hair....leave your frontal hair there, and set the piece just behind it. I've seen a lot of people do this technique with great results., I just didn't want you to think you had to shave off everything, because that is not the case. once you get the piece, if you order all lace, you can then decide to use clips or perhaps you will want to use tape or glue...any of the bonding procedures will work with all lace so you won't be tied down to just one method of attachment. perhaps you could start with the clips, and then take them off as you get more comfortable with it. again, it will be something you will just have to weigh at the time. good luck to you. please don't hesitate to ask questions to help you in your journey. that is what we are here for.
DebbieS.
12-07-2008, 03:49 PM,
Debbie,

Thank you for the advice. It sounds like a great option if I can make the switch from clips to tape/glue when I'm more comfortable with shaving it all off.

However, if I set the piece behind the hairline (and decide to go with the clips at first), how would I secure the front part of the piece? Would the front section (behind the hairline) require shaving?
12-07-2008, 08:44 PM,
debbie, can glue and tape also cause traction alopecia? I'm looking into hair pieces as a solution for right now, but I wouldnt want to damage my hair in case some type of new stem cell technology becomes a real cure.
12-08-2008, 07:07 AM,
yes, especially the hard bond glues can cause traction alopecia. Most don't have any troubles with just tapes and soft bond glues...but there is the risk on futher damage that you must weigh.
nobody can tell you that the glues and tapes will not damage your existing hair. There is always somewhat of a risk of damaging hair when we glue, clip and tape hairpieces onto our heads.
DebbieS.