Hello There, Guest! Register

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
New to this game, just asking a few questions
12-07-2008, 10:37 PM,
New to this game, just asking a few questions
Hi, I am currently in the process of thinking about getting a hair system. I have strong recession on both sides of my hairline but not sure if I am at the hair system stage just yet, but nonetheless have a few questions that I would like to clear up in case I suddenly decide to take the plunge. I have done a fair bit of research on these forums lately but would like to clear a few issues up.

Making the template:
As I said, I have strong recession but generally a strong supply of hair elsewhere. So when I make the template, I am willing to shave as much as my head as need be, but where should i end the template at i.e. how far past the crown. Is it better to give the template some area below the crown or can I stop it around the crown area if this would make blending at the back easier.

Also, people say it is best to give some recession to the templates. I would like a relatively straightish hairline, so I would obviously put a bit of recession in it to make it natural, but can you still pull off a relatively straight hairline and make it look natural? And when i say straight, I do not mean dead straight but not a hairline where someone can see the obvious recession.

Applying the system:
As I said, I am willing to shave my existing hair all off, but I am petrified about shaving the right area for the system. What I am trying to ask is when you are shaving existing hair which the template goes over, at the outer edge of what you are shaving, is it easy to shave too much (i.e. past the template barrier) and how accurate do you need to be. I am just a little bit scared that if i do all this by myself, I may stuff up the shaving area as I am not particularly skilled in this area and then the system would not be able to work because it would not cover the required area. Can the systems be easily stretched if you are a bit off in certain areas?

Attachment method:
What is the best way to attach? I have seen the dvd advertised on this site and seen the tape across the frontal area, however in the dvd he does not put tape all the way across the front region. I was just wondering if it is okay to put tape across ALL of the front part or if is is best to put tape across most of the front but leave the edges untaped.

Glue question:
Are the white glues water resistant i.e. can I take a shower in my system without the bond being weakened.

Also do the other glues like ultra hold allow you to shower without the bond being loosened (I would prefer to wear white glue but would use ultra hold if it meant I could take a shower without the bond being loosened)

Also, what are people's recommendations for the best white glue and how long a hold would I be looking at being able to achieve?

Final question is on the system itself. As a first timer, what would be the best system to get. I obviously would like an undetectable hairline but I would also like thick hair elsewhere, so would a sfs front and maybe a polyskin base be my best bet as a newbie? Or a sfs front and french lace base, keeping in mind I would like rather thick hair and I read the psb would be best for this.

Sorry about all the questions, just would like to get other people's opinions on these issues.
Thanks.
12-08-2008, 05:47 AM,
Re: New to this game, just asking a few questions
snell Wrote:Making the template:
As I said, I have strong recession but generally a strong supply of hair elsewhere. So when I make the template, I am willing to shave as much as my head as need be, but where should i end the template at i.e. how far past the crown. Is it better to give the template some area below the crown or can I stop it around the crown area if this would make blending at the back easier.

You don't want to start the unit right on the crown. If you can do it in FRONT of the crown it's better, but if you have to go, behind, not right at the crown.

Quote:Also, people say it is best to give some recession to the templates. I would like a relatively straightish hairline, so I would obviously put a bit of recession in it to make it natural, but can you still pull off a relatively straight hairline and make it look natural? And when i say straight, I do not mean dead straight but not a hairline where someone can see the obvious recession.

Recession is one of those things that can add realism, but at the same time a lot of guys use higher densities and little to no recession with great results. It all comes down to preference after you have factored in your temples. If your temples are strong, you have a lot of flexibility. If they are weak, you need to craft the hairline accordingly.

Quote:Applying the system:
As I said, I am willing to shave my existing hair all off, but I am petrified about shaving the right area for the system. What I am trying to ask is when you are shaving existing hair which the template goes over, at the outer edge of what you are shaving, is it easy to shave too much (i.e. past the template barrier) and how accurate do you need to be. I am just a little bit scared that if i do all this by myself, I may stuff up the shaving area as I am not particularly skilled in this area and then the system would not be able to work because it would not cover the required area. Can the systems be easily stretched if you are a bit off in certain areas?

The systems will stretch a little, especially swiss lace.

Keep in mind that if you are ordering all lace you can order it a little bigger than you think you will need and cut off excess if need be.

Quote:Attachment method:
What is the best way to attach? I have seen the dvd advertised on this site and seen the tape across the frontal area, however in the dvd he does not put tape all the way across the front region. I was just wondering if it is okay to put tape across ALL of the front part or if is is best to put tape across most of the front but leave the edges untaped.

Just a personal preference, but I like to use tape 1/4" behind the hairline for strong hold, and white glue in front for a clean finish.

Quote:Glue question:
Are the white glues water resistant i.e. can I take a shower in my system without the bond being weakened.

It might weaken temporarily, but it will set back up after the hair dries.

Quote:Also do the other glues like ultra hold allow you to shower without the bond being loosened (I would prefer to wear white glue but would use ultra hold if it meant I could take a shower without the bond being loosened)

Ultrahold is awesome, but the cleanup can be a pain. If you use the tape/glue combo you won't have much to worry about getting the system wet.

Quote:Also, what are people's recommendations for the best white glue and how long a hold would I be looking at being able to achieve?

Unfortunately you will probably have to try them all and see what works best for you.

Quote:Final question is on the system itself. As a first timer, what would be the best system to get. I obviously would like an undetectable hairline but I would also like thick hair elsewhere, so would a sfs front and maybe a polyskin base be my best bet as a newbie? Or a sfs front and french lace base, keeping in mind I would like rather thick hair and I read the psb would be best for this.

I always recommend straight French lace for your first unit. Durable, easy to modify, still very undetectable.....overall the best choice to start out.
12-08-2008, 07:01 AM,
I agree with everything JRob said.
to answer your question, all hair replacement glues are water RESISTANT, some like ultra hold are water proof.
yes, after a shower (especially a hot steamy one), the bond will weaken and soften , it hardens back up once completely dry.
It would be helpful if you could post some pics, if you have receding hairline and a good supply of hair everywhere else, you perhaps may want to go with a frontal partial.
DebbieS.
12-08-2008, 08:40 AM,
snell Wrote:Also, people say it is best to give some recession to the templates. I would like a relatively straightish hairline, so I would obviously put a bit of recession in it to make it natural, but can you still pull off a relatively straight hairline and make it look natural? And when i say straight, I do not mean dead straight but not a hairline where someone can see the obvious recession.

Obvious recession adds to it my friend, as does lower densities - I think people go for systems that are too thick - I was a victim of this. True advice as you're new to this - email BA some pictures of your current hair/hair system and ask him which density will work best for you.

He did for me, and the results are perfect.

snell Wrote:Applying the system:

You'll be able to shave it with your eyes closed after a while - just be sure to take your time on your first few goes. I can actually shave my back and side of my head without a mirror at all - doing the front is a different story (as I keep a little bit of fringe...

snell Wrote:Attachment method:

Glue question:

Also do the other glues like ultra hold allow you to shower without the bond being loosened (I would prefer to wear white glue but would use ultra hold if it meant I could take a shower without the bond being loosened)

Also, what are people's recommendations for the best white glue and how long a hold would I be looking at being able to achieve?

Okay - you'll have to do some trial and error as most people have to. I did research on here with what seemed to work with most people, along with which gave the longest hold and easiest clean up. I figured out that the best combo is: ST30 for the side and back with a strip down the middle.

The fantastic thing about this tape is that you can apply it directly to your head - magic!

As for the glue - I use a white glue called Perfect. The finish is matte and the hold is very good. Clean up is a synch - I recommend it. Makes the hair line look very good.

Today I did the brave thing and had a shower with my system on. I could feel that the glue was a little loose - but an hour later and it had reset... superb. I could get all the gel and grease out of the hair... Takes a bit of guts, but you can do it!

snell Wrote:Final question is on the system itself. As a first timer, what would be the best system to get. I obviously would like an undetectable hairline but I would also like thick hair elsewhere, so would a sfs front and maybe a polyskin base be my best bet as a newbie? Or a sfs front and french lace base, keeping in mind I would like rather thick hair and I read the psb would be best for this.

Sorry about all the questions, just would like to get other people's opinions on these issues.
Thanks.

I've always had (thick) skin bases before with horrid knots. I went with BA's advice of an all SFS system, and it didn't disappoint. Very, very thin, fantastic on the scalp and a great hair line. It seems pretty durable to me - I take very good care of my systems, so that's maybe why... But the way some folks go on about it on here, you'd almost think that it dissolves in water. Go for SFS, you'll love it - ask for graduated hairline... although I think it comes as standard anyways.

Good luck, and get hairy!

Jazzy
12-08-2008, 05:00 PM,
Thanks guys, you've all been a great help.

Just one last question I forgot to ask, if I made the template over an area where I have a fair bit of hair and I have to shave it off, as these hairs grow back, do they do anything to the bond i.e. loosen it or cause the bond to break.

Thanks again.
12-09-2008, 02:40 AM,
if you made your template too big, you would just cut the base of the hair system down a bit....
DebbieS.
12-09-2008, 02:55 AM,
But what if I made the template so it was deliberately over some existing hairs (with the thought process of this achieving a better look than having a frontal system to just cover the front i.e. a piece for the whole of the top of the head rather than just for the front region), would these existing hairs that are shaved off lift the bond when they grew back?

Thanks.
12-09-2008, 07:57 AM,
snell Wrote:would these existing hairs that are shaved off lift the bond when they grew back?

Some types of really extended bonds can be affected by shaved hair growing back.... but we're talking hard attachments lasting WEEKS here. You won't bond your piece for weeks because it's gross, so you should generally be OK.
12-09-2008, 01:33 PM,
So if I aim to achieve a bond of 5-7 days, the shaved hairs growing back should never impact the bond?

Its just that with my situation, the system would be required for the front part of my head, but I am not interested in getting a partial system as it would be too much work for me and the blending would be too much for me to worry about, so I would get a system for the whole of the top of my head, but just concerned whether this is achieveable with thick hair on the back half of my head.