Hello There, Guest! Register

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Just curious about something.
12-16-2008, 09:55 PM,
Just curious about something.
I notice there are always a lot of questions about telling a prospective girl about wearing and there seem to be several different schools of thought. Some guys recommend just being up front and getting it out of the way,while others simply can't bring themselves to do that so easily or in fact, not at all. Some guys are worried about being intimate and I've heard guys come up with pretty out there statements and ideas about telling the girl about sensitive scalps or whatever to prevent a girl from running their hands through the unit. My question is how many guys would feel different about dating a woman who wore a full wig? I don't mean partials, which are fairly common for women, or small pieces to create a fuller look. I mean a woman who was completely bald and wore a full wig. I know there are women who post here and I'm not trying to make anyone uncomfortable, but I'm curious if it would be an issue with some of the dudes. Say especially if she wasn't up front about it and you discovered it one night while running your hands through HER hair or some similar situation. I'm reminded of the Seinfeld episode where George, who was wearing a piece discovered that a blind date was bald. His reaction wasn't pleasant or positive. Years ago I met a stripper when I was in college and it was dark and late and we'd all been drinking and this lovely girl with long, flowing hair caught my eye and somehow we ended up having an intense, conversation and we connected quite well. She was staying in a local hotel that weekend and we made plans to go to a local mall the next day and when I showed up, her roomate let me in and when I opened the door to the girl's room, she let out a shriek and there on a styrofoam head was her flaming read hair from the night before.

The poor girl turned out to suffer from a form of alopecia and wore several wigs on a regular basis. I hate to admit it, but I thought about it the whole time and while she was attractive, it kinda killed the whole mood and my attraction to her wasn't as intense as it had been before I found out about her wig. She had kind of a punk look to her and actually could have pulled off the bald look if she had wanted to. She just didn't have the nerve or whatever to do so. I hate to admit that it was an issue. I don't know if it would be at this point in my life. I'm in my late 20's now and not nearly as shallow as I was then. I was also not receding as I am now. Sorry for the epic, but It's just something that I've been thinking about the last few days. Would this bother many/any of you guys?
12-17-2008, 12:00 AM,
Re: Just curious about something.
This is an interesting question. But recently I've had to ask myself this, as my girlfriend is suffering from a disorder at the moment and her hair has gotten a little thinner. I asked myself "would it matter if she had to get a wig"? And the answer is no. It wouldn't matter to me now, and I would be happy to help her get a good toplace, if her condition worsened.

If it was a first date though, and I was a younger guy and more immature, I think it would possibly be an issue. But it's something anyone would be able to get over as long as they learn to love the person first for who they are Smile
12-17-2008, 02:18 AM,
Mid 20's here... in all honesty it wouldn't matter to me if the girl was so much beyond looks, (having a great personality). From my years of dating I have come to the road now where shallowness, immaturity is such a turn-off. I have no issues trying to improve your appearance, for the right reasons.
12-17-2008, 06:56 AM,
Quote:I'm in my late 20's now and not nearly as shallow as I was then.

I'm not sure you were that shallow then, at least not necessarily more than Mr.Burns and Kevo88 are today.

Both Mr.Burns and Kevo88 talked about their ability to accept a wig on a girl, but from my understanding they meant a girl who they know for enough time, one who is worth their time, they didn't talk about a blind date who tells them she's wearing a wig on the spot.

With all due respect to the "intense conversation" that you had with that stripper, how much time did you know her before you found out about the wig ?, 4 hours ?, that's not nearly enough time to fall in love with someone.

When you found out about her wig, it was at a time where looks still mattered most, since you didn't know her well enough for something else to become more important.

I think that if you would have spent a month with her (without knowing she's wearing), and discovered that she's an amazing person, but her very good looks is partially because of a wig, you might have felt differently than you said.

Something else, you talked about her wig as very long with bright hair. I think that wig had a HUGE impact on how she appeared. I don't think that the usual wig has such an impact on a man's look, the fact that he has something to frame his face is important, but apart from this it's not one of the main features that define his looks... (like it was with her).
12-17-2008, 07:13 AM,
Well you gotta take something into consideration with that question. I think there def is a difference between a guy going bald and a girl. Its more common for a dude to lose his hair. There are guys out there who are considered very attractive by girls with a completely bald head. Chris daughtry is an example. But you dont see girls who are bald out there marketing that style. It is common for some girls to wear wigs or weaves etc, especially black girls, but big difference when a girl is completely bald. I believe they would have it rougher being bald then a dude. So guys might be more effected over a completely bald girl then a girl would be for a guy, since its more common.

For me personally. If she was like really pretty, and i liked her a lot. I think it wouldnt bother me or I would get over it if it did. But thats me, but like i said, Its less common for a girl to be completely bald, so its more of a shock. But again, personally, i would get over it. Hair is just a dead substance. Its not even alive. Wearing a wig dead substance is just as dead as if it was your own hair. just some food for thought.
12-17-2008, 01:15 PM,
You also have to take into consideration the way she reacted to it. I'm sure it had an impact on your perception of the situation. If she would have TOLD you nonchalantly it would be a bit different
12-17-2008, 03:50 PM,
All good points. And Jonesy raised a good point, but suggesting our conversation was very brief and of course it was after a long night of drinking. Also the fact that the wig was obviously a bit over the top. And JRob's answer was probably the most right on. She didn't react in a relaxed, matter of fact way. She pretty much freaked and of course that added anxiety and weirdness to an already strange situation. After posting this earlier this morning I started thinking about a girl I went to high school with who had very thin hair and didn't get much attention due to the fact. She was quite attractive, friendly and very kind. I ran into her at a class reunion and she had gotten herself a very subtle, well styled wig that only added to her attractiveness and I recall a lot of guys commenting on how great she looked with it. I think most of the single guys would have dated her in a heartbeat, or tried if she hadn't shown up with a date. I think I wouldn't have a problem with it myself. I'm just trying to honestly figure out if this is true.
12-17-2008, 04:10 PM,
I have a female friend visiting from out of town this weekend.

She is young (23), and when I officially told her about the hair you could tell that the response she gave was steeped in prejudices and misconceptions. She kept asking, "Why don't you just shave it?" and hounded me to see pics from when I did shave my head, which she thought I looked "great" in.

The images people carry in their head influence the way they feel about wigs. and it's an automatic response. They are simply reacting to the myths they carry in their heads, not reality.

Unfortunately, you really aren't going to be able to change most people's misconceptions, especially if they find out in an awkward moment where they don;t have time to assimilate all of the information. half of THEIR reaction is based upon YOUR reaction. People will never accept it MORE than you do, so if you give off the wrong vibe it sends it spiraling in the wrong direction. That's part of the reason why I love the freedom of knowing that most people around me know I wear, and they know that I myself accept it and am not self conscious about it.

Confidence goes a long way in this game.
12-17-2008, 04:19 PM,
JRob Wrote:half of THEIR reaction is based upon YOUR reaction. People will never accept it MORE than you do, so if you give off the wrong vibe it sends it spiraling in the wrong direction...

Confidence goes a long way in this game.

Very well put, Jon.
12-17-2008, 08:09 PM,
I could care less if she wore a wig, system, unit or whatever. It's about the person inside that counts. If you are attracted to the person and found out later she "wore", so what. I would not be creeped out whatsoever. That's my two cents....