Hello There, Guest! Register

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
THE acid test...Holiday photos!
12-17-2008, 09:59 PM,
Re: THE acid test...Holiday photos!
wantmorehair Wrote:Mr. Burns,

Your hair looks awesome. Is this a topper or full cap?

Hey man, it's just a regular topper.

Here are some more photos so you can see how it's done:
<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://picasaweb.google.co.uk/lokuttara/HairShotsMar2008?authkey=4C0QWYtV1Zk#">http://picasaweb.google.co.uk/lokuttara ... 0QWYtV1Zk#</a><!-- m -->
<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://picasaweb.google.co.uk/lokuttara/May2008_SFS?authkey=5a7U06lyi4s#">http://picasaweb.google.co.uk/lokuttara ... 7U06lyi4s#</a><!-- m -->
12-18-2008, 07:52 AM,
Mr.Burns,

Two questions:
1. How did you match the colors so well between the topper and your side hair ?, is it bascially luck that they had the exact same color of your natural hair ? (or maybe it's not exactly the same, but the camera can't show the slight difference ?), wait, maybe you just combed some of the top, down to your sides, and that's the reaosn the color blend look so well ?

2. Why don't you want to get rid of white hairs (in your natural hair and the wig's) ?, do you find that with white hairs it looks more natural ?
12-18-2008, 08:51 AM,
Jonesy123 Wrote:Mr.Burns,

Two questions:
1. How did you match the colors so well between the topper and your side hair ?, is it bascially luck that they had the exact same color of your natural hair ? (or maybe it's not exactly the same, but the camera can't show the slight difference ?), wait, maybe you just combed some of the top, down to your sides, and that's the reaosn the color blend look so well ?

2. Why don't you want to get rid of white hairs (in your natural hair and the wig's) ?, do you find that with white hairs it looks more natural ?

1. You need to send a good hair sample with your order. Send a new hair sample with each order, and send as much hair as possible. When they get it right, keep plenty of the hair you cut from your new system. Sometimes they don't get it right, and in that case I just return it cos the colour must be perfect - and they CAN get it perfect.

Yes, I comb it down and mix it with my own hair to blend. Also use robocut and thinning shears to cut.

2. The grey hairs add to the realism and actually help with blending.
12-18-2008, 01:23 PM,
Hi Mr Burns

Out of curiousity, are the May2008 and March2008 pictures the same hairpiece?

Regards
12-18-2008, 02:34 PM,
Mr Burns,
Great pics man! What kind of base is it? And what density? Also, do you get the highlights ordered at the factory or do you do it yourself?

Keep up the great work, doesn't get much better than that!
12-18-2008, 04:17 PM,
Jonesy123 Wrote:1. How did you match the colors so well between the topper and your side hair ?, is it bascially luck that they had the exact same color of your natural hair ? (or maybe it's not exactly the same, but the camera can't show the slight difference ?), wait, maybe you just combed some of the top, down to your sides, and that's the reaosn the color blend look so well

For some reason people are getting the idea that color matching the piece to your own hair is difficult. In most cases, it's not at all. You send a hair color sample for the match areas and possibly specify an extra uniform highlight color for the top and that's it. You have to stay on top of things to maintain the piece color one way or another over time, but it isn't that big of a deal.
12-18-2008, 08:13 PM,
Looks great, very natural like it would be your own growing hair. It passed the test!!!
12-18-2008, 10:50 PM,
undecided Wrote:Hi Mr Burns

Out of curiousity, are the May2008 and March2008 pictures the same hairpiece?

Regards

Yup! You can notice in May it has shed a bit more. So that's why I will never again start with a hairsystem that has light density. I always try to start a little on the thick side, let it shed, and then finish when it's just slightly below the perfect density. You will get maximum time out of it this way.

Tapehead Wrote:For some reason people are getting the idea that color matching the piece to your own hair is difficult. In most cases, it's not at all. You send a hair color sample for the match areas and possibly specify an extra uniform highlight color for the top and that's it. You have to stay on top of things to maintain the piece color one way or another over time, but it isn't that big of a deal.

The very first piece I ever ordered was a 100% correct colour match. And I mean 100%!! The next two pieces I ordered (with the same specs) were way off. I had to send them back. So it is not an exact science, and they will not always come 100% correct. But tolpace will do everything they can to get it right, so just send it back and send more hair samples so they can see the difference between your hair and the piece.
12-18-2008, 10:52 PM,
GQPilot 737 Wrote:Mr Burns,
Great pics man! What kind of base is it? And what density? Also, do you get the highlights ordered at the factory or do you do it yourself?

That one is SFS front and #64 base. But the base doesn't really matter... at the moment I have a SFS front and extra thinskin base, and it looks just as good!

I got a large grey % from the factory. That piece doesn't have highlights.

But yes, I do the highlights myself for all of my pieces. Those photos with highlights are in my older photos (look for my old posts).

Density I go for is usually around 70%.
12-19-2008, 03:47 AM,
Quote:For some reason people are getting the idea that color matching the piece to your own hair is difficult. In most cases, it's not at all. You send a hair color sample for the match areas and possibly specify an extra uniform highlight color for the top and that's it. You have to stay on top of things to maintain the piece color one way or another over time, but it isn't that big of a deal.

Well, at least scientifically speaking, this is a close to an impossible task. Toplace has what, 10 colors to choose from ?, but there are **infinite** number of shades in the real world, the chances that one of Toplace's 10 colors will exactly match your hair color might be greater than winning a first place in the lottery. And even if you "won the lottery", after several weeks the color of the wig will start to get weaker, and again you won't be able to get a perfect match. It seems like you can not win here, you can only hope that people around you aren't too perceptive...

Also, look at how many tricks and compromises Mr.Burns is using to get a better color blend (even though he say the color match is good): He keeps his white hairs (and ideally no one will want to do this because it only adds years to your age), he is combing the wig way down to the sides (which is kind of impossible if you want a shorter cut)... yes, the end product looks very real on his head, but there is a cost.

I have to say that in all the pictures that I saw in this forum (and I'm talking about good pics, that are big and were shot in good light), I never saw a perfect color match if there were no white hairs and if the top wasn't combed down heavily to the sides.

I think the only way you can get a perfect color match is if you order a blond wig, and color it together with your natural hair using the same dye. And even this won't be simple, because your own hair might take the color a bit differently than the wig's hair. And also, even if you were successful in dying both to the exact same shade, they still might be losing the color at different rates, hence you'll need to recolor quite soon...

Pretty depressing I might say.