Hello There, Guest! Register

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
How do you make a template?
12-21-2008, 07:51 PM,
How do you make a template?
Is it possible to do so without shaving your head first? Right now I have a NW2 long hair but diffuse thinning. Is it possible to make a template without shaving or cutting my hair? How can I make a smooth transition without anyone knowing?
12-21-2008, 08:02 PM,
Re: How do you make a template?
Quote:Is it possible to do so without shaving your head first? Right now I have a NW2 long hair but diffuse thinning. Is it possible to make a template without shaving or cutting my hair?
I’m at the exact same situation as you. Going to make the template next week, and due to all the hair on top it’s not going to be as accurate as it could have been…
Quote:How can I make a smooth transition without anyone knowing?
Ah… the eternal question… 
First of all, indeed you have to make the first template over your existing hair (unless going with a hat all day is comfortable for you). You need to get you real hair long enough, so it would seem you have a head full of hair. The first wig should have some recession, and it needs to look like something that could have been achieved with what people think is your real hair, so you also need to be careful not to go with too much density.

I’ve read several stories here of people doing smooth transitions, it seems to be possible.
12-22-2008, 03:52 AM,
Here's a good demonstration of how to make a template from YouTube:

<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KFQX0Bv_8N8&feature=PlayList&p=E780909DE8127274&playnext=1&index=8">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KFQX0Bv_ ... =1&index=8</a><!-- m -->

Regards,
John
12-22-2008, 04:58 AM,
ToplaceUSA Wrote:Here's a good demonstration of how to make a template from YouTube:

<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KFQX0Bv_8N8&feature=PlayList&p=E780909DE8127274&playnext=1&index=8">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KFQX0Bv_ ... =1&index=8</a><!-- m -->

Regards,
John

Also an absolutely MUST for you newbee's is to buy MB DVD.
Why the hesitation with buying the DVD ?
It'll show you pretty much everything that you need to know to get started.

Smile
Fred (StealthTJ)
12-22-2008, 06:24 AM,
Here's what you do.

The key is to order all French lace. Make your template and take the time to get the hairline right on, but make the back part 1/2" bigger than you think it needs to be all the way around.

When it comes in and you are ready to take the plunge, simply trim the back and sides down to the size you need.
12-22-2008, 06:37 AM,
Quote:The key is to order all French lace.
Why French lace and not the more undetectable Swiss lace ?, if French lace IS important for some reason, is it ok to order swiss lace at the front, and French lace for the rest ?

Quote:Make your template and take the time to get the hairline right on, but make the back part 1/2" bigger than you think it needs to be all the way around.
So, as long as the template is bigger than the real bald area (apart from the hairline that needs to be perfect), there is no problem ?, will there be any problem if it's not 0.5" bigger, but 2" bigger all around ?

Quote:When it comes in and you are ready to take the plunge, simply trim the back and sides down to the size you need.
But will a *newbie* be able to easily trim it without compromising on the final look of the piece ?
12-22-2008, 06:58 AM,
I think what JRob was getting at about French Lace is that it is much more durable and "User-friendly" for a brand new wearer.

I can attest to that. SFS front is so fragile and will drive you nuts at first until you figure out all the delicacies and handling of it. The cleaning and gluing requires much more art and skill to get the hairline just right.

Try french lace at first, then once you get "seasoned" and comfortable with wearing, then go with the SFS!
12-22-2008, 08:38 AM,
Can people actually detect french lace once it's attached to the scalp ?,

Here is Kevo88 with an all French lace unit, can you detect the lace ?

[Image: PC190440.jpg]

if there is such a big difference in handling between french and swiss lace, and French lace is so undetectable, why would someone go for swiss if it gives only a very very marginal advantage ?
12-22-2008, 12:38 PM,
Quote:I think what JRob was getting at about French Lace is that it is much more durable and "User-friendly" for a brand new wearer.

Hi, if I'm going for a higher density, around 65-70%. Would an all-french lace be better then one with polyskin sides and back with a french lace front? Keeping in mind I will be doing sports often.
12-23-2008, 04:28 AM,
Jonesy123 Wrote:
Quote:The key is to order all French lace.
Why French lace and not the more undetectable Swiss lace ?, if French lace IS important for some reason, is it ok to order swiss lace at the front, and French lace for the rest ?

Swiss is fine, but you are better off getting french until you get the hang of everything. French is easier to cut, doesn't fray, and can disappear well. Does for me anyway.

Quote:So, as long as the template is bigger than the real bald area (apart from the hairline that needs to be perfect), there is no problem ?, will there be any problem if it's not 0.5" bigger, but 2" bigger all around ?

You can make it as big as you want, but if it's over a certain size they are going to charge you extra

Quote:But will a *newbie* be able to easily trim it without compromising on the final look of the piece ?

I am shooting video of base modification. When it gets finished you will be able to see just how easy it is. It takes a little practice, but it can absolutely be done by anyone. I said to order the hairline the way you want it because the less cutting in that area the better, but cutting the back with the method I use.....piece of cake and you won't chop the hair up.