Hello There, Guest! Register

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Scalp irritation
12-23-2008, 05:29 AM,
Scalp irritation
I searched the entire forum and either missed it, or there is not a topic regarding scalp irritation issues.

I have been wearing full poly systems for about 10 years. I use I-glue to attach to my scalp. Over the years, I find that I randomly have problems come up with my scalp becoming very irritated. It will start as one small area almost always on the side perimeter. When I take off the piece, there will be a wet area sometimes with some pussy-like substance and the skin is bright red and sensitive. The area that is irritated takes a long time to fully heal up. Even when it seems healed, it will come back within a few days of putting my piece back on even if I completely avoid sweating for 24 hours after putting it back on. The irritated area will get bigger and bigger without a very long complete healing time allowed. Sometimes I have to wait 2 weeks or more without a piece to fully allow scalp healing. I tried neosporin to speed it up, but that does not help much. It gets worse sometimes, then it may not show up for months. Sweating does not seem to be the main issue since it happens in the winter just as easily.

I am out of ideas as to how to deal with this since I can't wear a piece or put any glue on my head until it is healed. I thought about trying a lace piece with just perimeter glue or tape to allow breathing, but the perimeter is the place where I have the problem so that won't work. I noticed the I-glue smells completely different than it used to but I had this problem with the old and new I-glue so I don't believe that is an issue either. I have also tried the scalp protector and it does not seem to help either. I put it on one side of my head, It helps adhesion last longer, but Both sides were the same as far as irritation.

I wonder if drinking alcohol can effect anything? I know when you have drank quite a bit, the next day, you actually sweat out some alcohol. I wonder if that would be enough in the sweat to create irritation? No idea or guess is too far fetched for me right now. I just need to figure this out.

There has got to be others with scalp irritiation stories or solutions here. Please help!
12-23-2008, 06:58 AM,
Re: Scalp irritation
If you suddenly can't put the wig for two weeks, what do you do ???, call in sick for two weeks ?

When you attach the piece to your scalp, how much time does it normally stays before you take it off for cleaning ?
12-23-2008, 08:02 AM,
I had a little irritation on my scalp too ...

My stylist Di Di ...
(<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://www.hairnaturallyperfect.com/">http://www.hairnaturallyperfect.com/</a><!-- m -->)

puts vinegar on my scalp when she cleans it ..
it is pretty amazing ... also applies it on the hair ..
both real and natural ... (red vinegar) ....

It is an amazing aid to healing ... also does
wonders dealing with the frizzies .....

She says it is what people did years ago ...
(maybe in her native Bulgaria) ... and still
works today.
12-23-2008, 12:01 PM,
Jonesy123 Wrote:If you suddenly can't put the wig for two weeks, what do you do ???, call in sick for two weeks ?

When you attach the piece to your scalp, how much time does it normally stays before you take it off for cleaning ?

I work for myself at home so I can work around leaving it off for a while but more than a week or into a weekend is a problem. Sometimes I just tack it on in a few spots if I need to wear it so I can take it off again right away the next morning.

Normally, I can get almost 2 weeks out of it when my scalp is not irritated. I have been taking it off once a week more recently to let my scalp breath and to clean everything. Now my scalp is broke out so I can't put it on at all.

I might try the vinegar. I am open for anything at this point. I am very careful to clean my scalp and not to shave right before I put on the glue. It is really frustrating when this happens and there is nothing I can do when it is bad. Hopefully some ideas will come up and one of them works.

What is the difference between white glue and I-glue? I have always thought I used I glue since that is what I ordered but the last one smelled a bit like silicone and previous ones smelled like elmers glue without the silicone. I don't think that is the problem since I had this issue with both glues, but I am trying to narrow things down.