Hello There, Guest! Register

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Question to JRob
12-27-2008, 05:52 AM,
Question to JRob
JRob,

Why is it so important for you that the full cap will have lace for its sides and back ?, if you used thin skin for sides and back, you could have had perfect hair direction which is a thing that bothers you with the lace, no ? (with perfect hair direction at the sides you could have gone with a shorter haircuts for the sides...)
12-27-2008, 09:51 AM,
Re: Question to JRob
My experience has been that the skin materials just don't cut it for full caps.

Now granted, i have not tried the latest, thinnest skin, but the bases I have had just won't work for a few different reasons.

First reason is that the thicker skins all have an abrupt hairline all the way around the piece. Now I have had a poly unit in the past where the skin extended beyond the hairline and even had a little lace injected that gave a decent transition, but the skin perimeter units lately are simply skin with hair injected right up to the edge. No way to expose hairline, and you'll be busted in half a second if someone touches it.

I might get brave and do a unit with a skin perimeter (if they can give it a proper edge), as I like to have something that I can throw on and off during the week in between lace piece attachments, but for now I'm simply sticking to all lace.

And as far as length goes....my current unit is as short as 1/8" (maybe even a little less) directly above my ears. I wouldn't buzz the whole piece down that short, but it looks good, believe it or not. The problem with going so short is that as the unit thins you are going to be able to see thin patches much sooner than if the hair was a little longer.
12-27-2008, 10:13 AM,
Quote:First reason is that the thicker skins all have an abrupt hairline all the way around the piece. Now I have had a poly unit in the past where the skin extended beyond the hairline and even had a little lace injected that gave a decent transition, but the skin perimeter units lately are simply skin with hair injected right up to the edge. No way to expose hairline, and you'll be busted in half a second if someone touches it.

If you use the TL700 for the sides and back, you should be able to get very good hairline (according to TopLace's advertisement).

Quote:And as far as length goes....my current unit is as short as 1/8" (maybe even a little less) directly above my ears. I wouldn't buzz the whole piece down that short, but it looks good, believe it or not. The problem with going so short is that as the unit thins you are going to be able to see thin patches much sooner than if the hair was a little longer.
JRob, I’m talking about short hair at the sides, but dense enough not to show any scalp, like the following examples:

[Image: 655416711_57d0a28f74.jpg]

[Image: boy1.jpg]

[Image: 1371224509_b9a9ca0609.jpg]

Here is someone who tried to do something like that:

[Image: JERMH1.jpg]

But when you look from the side, it looks just SO SO bad... the hair is so puffed and dense, it doesn't look like his own at all...

[Image: JHside1e.JPG]
12-27-2008, 11:27 AM,
Jonesy123 Wrote:If you use the TL700 for the sides and back, you should be able to get very good hairline (according to TopLace's advertisement).

I have seen the material and don't doubt that you can indeed get an amazing hairline with it. My issue is durability. I need to get more than 2 months out of a system. Plus, with the fragile nature of this base type it doesn't make any sense for me because I will have to spend as much time attaching/removing/cleaning as I do now with lace. I just don't think it would benefit me with a full cap.

Quote:JRob, I’m talking about short hair at the sides, but dense enough not to show any scalp, like the following examples:

[Image: 655416711_57d0a28f74.jpg]

[Image: boy1.jpg]

[Image: 1371224509_b9a9ca0609.jpg]

I wouldn't try any of those styles with skin.

Quote:Here is someone who tried to do something like that:

[Image: JERMH1.jpg]

But when you look from the side, it looks just SO SO bad... the hair is so puffed and dense, it doesn't look like his own at all...

your images are missing
12-27-2008, 12:28 PM,
How could you seen the first one and not he second one ?, look again at the end of my last post...

Regarding the hairstyles that you told me not to try with skin, why do you say that ?, you mean not with the TL700 too ?, but can they be done with lace ?, I haven't seen anyone doing such a short and dense style with lace for the sides...
12-27-2008, 05:50 PM,
Jonesy123 Wrote:How could you seen the first one and not he second one ?, look again at the end of my last post...

Regarding the hairstyles that you told me not to try with skin, why do you say that ?, you mean not with the TL700 too ?, but can they be done with lace ?, I haven't seen anyone doing such a short and dense style with lace for the sides...

As Rob mentioned, the last image isn't showing.

Smile
Fred (StealthTJ)
12-27-2008, 08:50 PM,
FredTJ Wrote:
Jonesy123 Wrote:How could you seen the first one and not he second one ?, look again at the end of my last post...

As Rob mentioned, the last image isn't showing.

Smile
Fred (StealthTJ)

Weird, I've taken them from the following link, they were ok yesterday, yet now they both disappeared:

<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://www.network54.com/Forum/241571/thread/1212933743/last-1213035644/Full+Cap+Photos">http://www.network54.com/Forum/241571/t ... Cap+Photos</a><!-- m -->
12-28-2008, 10:10 AM,

Most of the time you can go shorter with lace than with skin. I can't comment on the 700 as I have seen it but never used it.

I still don't know which picture you were talking about that looks bad.
12-28-2008, 12:01 PM,
Quote:I still don't know which picture you were talking about that looks bad.

It seems that BA removed it. I don't know why...
12-28-2008, 12:15 PM,
I think skin full caps have their place. Mostly as emergency back ups and for quick fit and removal as you can wear them without tape or glue as they sort of mould themselves round your head. Good for going to the hairstylist to get another lace unit cut in. You just remove the skin unit when you're there without having to do any messy detachments. And of course there are no knots to worry about being seen.

Having worn a couple of skin full caps I am firmly of the view that the cons outweigh the pros. They're hot and make you sweat heaps; the injected hair lays flatter and, in my experience, falls out sooner; the edge never seems to completely disappear; they're noisy to touch; air bubbles can occur at the crown.

I haven't tried the latest very thin offerings and I'd be interested to see a review on their long term viability.