Hello There, Guest! Register

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Have Toplace changed the density chart?
01-10-2009, 04:20 PM,
Re: Have Toplace changed the density chart?
What would the density be in the higher density pics of Mr Burns? That's basically the density I like as well!
01-11-2009, 06:58 AM,
James, I wish I knew the answer! It doesn't seem to be an exact science. But in the past if I asked for 73% I woud get something like the pics you've seen. These days I'm not sure, but maybe next time I will ask for 77 or 80 at the hairline, and 70 for the rest.

My advice to one and all is to send photos with your order. Whether it's pics of you with your favoutie piece, or a model. This is a really good idea!! Communication with words is sometimes insufficient.
01-14-2009, 03:00 PM,
I have had the same experience as Mr. Burns. Today's 65% density looks like yesterday's 55%. I'd love to ask the factory if they changed their standard or if it was just a coincidence.
01-15-2009, 08:11 AM,
As I have posted before on this forum concerning density...when I order a custom it usually is less dense than a stock unit...even though they both are at 65%. that being said I think the point that most are not taking into consideration is the fact that this is not an exact science as it has been said many times before...I really don't know all the ins and outs that go on at the factory...but I think most of the ventillation is someones conception of what 65% really means and then I assume it would be left to quality control to make that determination...I would also assume that the least experienced ventillators would be doing stock units and the pros would be producing custom units...it is also possible that when you order multiple units they are being produced by various people and that may be why some units...even though it is the same order will be somewhat different in density...Just my thoughts...If someone here knows the production procedures of the factory...and gives us a heads up about what is happenning then that would be beneficial to us all...Cheers
01-15-2009, 03:56 PM,
Yea.. I've noticed the stock pieces are at least 10% thicker as of late. Also, the solution is always to just keep sending them back until you get the correct density added/subtracted by the factory. This means you always have to have 3 or so good pieces as backups and stuff. The problem is waiting for all of this perfection, and it never seems like I have more than one good piece, and a few real crappy backups at most. But, everything is still a good deal.
01-15-2009, 10:49 PM,
Yes folliman, the best option is to keep sending it back until it gets to the correct density. You should also send photos each time.

Bottom line; toplace will get it right and will sort it for you, which is great service.
01-17-2009, 12:36 PM,
Just got my all 68 full cap and it is right on the money. About 2 percent lighter than my 70 that is just like burns thick piece.

This 68 is quite full i'll post pics tomorrow.
It gets debbie's sealer and it'll last 7 months.
Knots perfect ready to go.
01-17-2009, 01:25 PM,
snipe;
you have switched to a full cap??? wow, can't wait to see pics!!
DebbieS.
01-17-2009, 04:02 PM,
DebbieS. Wrote:snipe;
you have switched to a full cap??? wow, can't wait to see pics!!
DebbieS.

I declare we have officially banished the full cap boogeyman!

We're takin' this thing global......
01-20-2009, 12:32 AM,
How much is a full cap as a matter of interest? I think a normal piece (sfs/64) is 190 at the moment.