Hello There, Guest! Register

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
How to achieve the styled "dry look"
01-10-2009, 10:05 AM,
How to achieve the styled "dry look"
I'm trying to find a styling product to style my full cap with. The problem with most hair gels is that they cause the piece to look too wet and thin. I need to make the hair look less poofy and doll-like, and also make it slightly darker. Is there a styling product out there that I should try?
01-10-2009, 12:07 PM,
Re: How to achieve the styled "dry look"
Waxworks - it really is perfect
01-10-2009, 12:31 PM,
Hey E, got your email. I will shoot you the eBook ASAP.

As for styling with a "dry" look, Waxworks isn't going to work. It's the wettest looking wax I have used. Great stuff and it has its place, but it gives that "runway model" hair look. I would suggest picking up a tube and trying it. You might be able to use a little and get less shine, but you won't be able to tame the hair without using enough that it will make the hair shiny.

You might want to try a mousse. Kinda old school, but I tried some of the 3-in-1 alcohol free mousse and it gives a nice light hold.

You could also try a spray gel or water down some regular gel. The only one that I have tried that doesn't dry the hair is an alcohol free version made by John Frieda. You mentioned about ordering some of the Blue Max CCS....if you do give me a heads up and I will throw in a couple of samples of waxes, putties, and gels.

Keep in mind that with a new piece you might be forced to use more or different product for a couple of weeks until it settles. The piece I just applied tonight I have worn for about a month and it is just now at a point where I could throw some CCS in after washing and conditioning, lightly style, and go. Up until now it was too poofy, even with a fairly low density.
01-10-2009, 01:13 PM,
Thanks JRob! I will definitely take you up on your offer about those samples!

I don't mind the wet look really.. it's just that even at 75% density, when the hair is wet, it looks incredibly thin. I don't have this issue when it's dry.. in fact, it's just the opposite - way too poofy. I am trying to find a product that would be the perfect blend. Something where I don't have to expose this much scalp like with the regular gels, but I'd like to have some product in there so the hair looks more natural.
01-10-2009, 01:21 PM,
Also, do you happen to have the exact name of the John Frieda spray gel you recommended? I tried doing a Google search, but couldn't find what I was looking for...

Thanks!
01-10-2009, 03:06 PM,
Hi quick question

How often and how do you guys remove the styling products from your hair?
01-10-2009, 06:39 PM,
Just get something with a matte finish. American Forming cream i think would be good for what you want to do. I think its low shine. There are a lot of different products out there. Just have to try something different then gel. They have alot of matte products. creams and waxes etc. Just have to find the one that works best for you. I personally like products that have a good amount of shine in them. Helps with the color blend for me.
01-10-2009, 06:55 PM,
Xeon, will the alcohol that's in the American Forming Cream damage the hair do you think?
01-10-2009, 07:17 PM,
Also, what do you guys think of Paul Mitchell Tea Tree Shaping Cream?
01-11-2009, 04:40 AM,
Look up Snipe's old thread on styling products. He's probably the only one who has tried more of them than I have!

Keep in mind that when you order the Blue Max CCS the coolest thing about it is that it will allow you to use pretty much anything. Of course you should test each product yourself, but I have found that ONE DROP of CCS in any of the styling products that I had used before that would tend to dry the hair out would give them exactly the opposite effect- it would make the hair retain moisture BETTER than even the CCS alone.

I generally avoid anything with alcohol, but keep in mind there is a difference between SD alcohol, alcohol denat, etc. and the "fatty" alcohols such as cetyl, cetearyl, and stearyl alcohol are actually good for the hair and help to condition it. Here is an article that explains what i am talking about http://hairbraider.spaces.live.com/Blog/...!293.entry. So read up on your alcohols cause they aren't all created equal!

The gel i spoke of isn't a spray. It won't give you a "light" hold, but it does a good job of keeping moisture in the hair. Here it is http://www.walgreens.com/store/product.j...sku3868073

As far as removing styling product.....I just wet the hair to re-style, and wash it out when I remove which is every 4 days or so.