Hello There, Guest! Register

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
How much should a cut-in cost?
01-10-2009, 05:58 PM,
How much should a cut-in cost?
Hi guys,

I was quoted US$135 for a cut-in by a stylist who does cut-ins for wigs. Is this the standard rate and is it worth it? Cos upper-end salon cut costs around US$50 in my country, so I was wondering if I should just bring my piece to a salon.

Regards
Drog
01-10-2009, 06:36 PM,
Re: How much should a cut-in cost?
Its just another way they are taking advantage of us bald folks. I wouldnt pay that much for a friggin hair cut, that is a rip off. Honestly, The price shouldn't be much more then a regular haircut. Its a bunch of bologna really. Some stylists I went to made such a project out of cutting the hair, they like tied it up into sections and all this fancy crap, I just think they are purposely justifying the price.

I personally wouldn't want to pay more then 70. I would try to get them down to 50. But even that to me is kind of a rip off. best thing to do is just find a good hairstylist you like. and then talk to them and see if they will cut in your system. If you go to "specialized" people, they will just try and exploit you. A person who cuts hair well, will most likely do a good job on your system because it is just that hair. I got so disgusted with finding stylists, i just learned to do it myself.
01-11-2009, 03:26 AM,
cut-in costs vary widely by region. obviously if someone is renting space in New York City, thier prices will be higher than someone in small town America.
DebbieS.
01-11-2009, 04:10 AM,
I'm lucky since I know a TON of people in the hair business. And the fact that I could get just about anyone to cut in a full cap.....

This is also a supply and demand thing. Over $100 sounds like a lot of money, but if there are customers willing to pay it then that might be what that particular stylist should be charging. Point is, you are free to find someone else and if that means taking money out of that stylists pocket then they might eventually reconsider their prices.

One of my friends just started a year or two ago and gets like $23 for a regular men's cut (not a piece). But she told me that as she gets better and she builds clientele that she will charge more as business dictates.
01-11-2009, 09:52 AM,
My understanding is that a "cut-in" isn't anything mystical or magical, it is pretty much a haircut that anyone who is skilled at cutting hair can do. Thus, if you can do your own attachments and such, I would think you could go to any stylist and it would come out fine.
01-12-2009, 03:26 AM,
Thanks for the replies.
I don't mind paying the money if it will be a good cut(its my 1st piece).
If it's a stylist that is recommended from here, like Debbie, I won't mind paying even more for the peace of mind.
It's just that I don't have any background of this stylist so I'm just worried that it won't turn out well. Smile So i was wondering if I should just go to a experienced hair dresser (for real hair) or even my usual hairdresser, though I am afraid of letting her know I wear. LoL.

Btw, if its ok to know Debbie, can you tell me how much you charge? Big Grin Just so I can have a base for comparision.
01-12-2009, 03:57 AM,
mail order cut-ins are $34 for a topper and $44 for a 3/4 or full cap. If you came to my salon the cost would be $55. that includes shampoo, thorough cleansing of scalp, full head bonding and then cut and style.
the mail order cut-ins usually require some tweaking once you get them home and on.....I hope this helps.
we have a stylist list on the toplace home page. click on RESOURCES and then on TIPS. these are stylists that have been recommended by toplace customers.
DebbieS.
01-12-2009, 06:31 AM,
$55 is about what I pay for removal, shampoo, attach and cutin.
Seems like a decent deal. Now that I do my own attachments and will be trying out my new flowbee, it just gets easier to be independent.
01-12-2009, 07:23 AM,
well jrob is very correct, and someone just proved it lol

"don't mind paying the money if it will be a good cut(its my 1st piece). " if people dont mind, then they will charge that amount, why not. I guess thats how many things work in this world.

You have to keep in mind. this hair wearing thing is long term. Its not a one price deal. and not everyone of us is rich. if you need a new system every 3 months or so, and you have to pay 200 or more for a system, plus 130 for cut ins, plus all the supplies, glues and tapes you need, You add that all up, thats an expense that adds up over time. If the actual system is 200, why would anyone want to pay more then half the price just to cut the hair.
01-12-2009, 11:56 AM,
Hi Xeon,

Actually if its $130, I would at most just go once and will most likely do things myself once I see how things work for the 1st time. But after your advice, I think I will go to a normal hairstylist, there's just no guarantee the stylist will be better then a normal hairdresser, and very often, businesses who charge much higher prices then normal are just aiming to do a one-time business.

This is also why I am thankful for Toplace. John has been very patient with my questions and a absolute great help.

I'm not rich but I guess its the fear of the wig not looking right that makes me not mind paying a high price. (another example of how people like hairclubs try to screw us). I stay outside of the US in Asia so there's no one I can turn to for face-to-face help. I do wish one day, wig-wearing can be mainstream and friends will just tell us if our wigs don't look right, like a unzipped fly! Lol.

And if this forum doesn't exist, I would have been screwed without knowing!