Hello There, Guest! Register

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Advice? I can't get my front edge to stay down...
01-11-2009, 10:30 AM,
Advice? I can't get my front edge to stay down...
Hi all,

So far I've tried ST tape, blue liner tape, red tape, and combination of the tape with an extra base bond or silicone glue coating (I put a good layer of the glue on the adhesive bottom of the tape after applying to the hairpiece). The ST tape seems to work the best, but eventually I always get the edge lifting up. When I try to do touchups, the edge won't hold for more than a day if that.

Any suggestions on things I can do to get a better hold in the front lace? How do I go about doing a touchup that will last??

Thanks!
01-11-2009, 10:41 AM,
Re: Advice? I can't get my front edge to stay down...
Make sure your not sweating, and apply the glue in a cool area. I've had a few times when I've been in a rush to do a quick fix up before my girlfriend came over, and couldn't get it down b/c I was sweating like crazy.

Also, make sure both your lace, and your head is completely free of the old glue residue. You can probably get away with having a tiny bit left, but it's best to try to get it as clean as possible. Also, this may sound weird, but I take my head and rub it against my mirror to get all the glue residue off.. and take a Qtip with 99% alcohol to break up the little bit of glue on the lace, and try to rub the lace up against the mirror by pressing my head against it.

The only problem is the cleanup, as this always makes a bit of a mess, but it works for me on touchups..

Usually the front on most people will only last 3-4 days max b/f you start to get either lift, or a little dirt at the hairline from airborne pollutants, dirt from getting caught up in the glue hairline if you have a tiny bit of glue exposed at the edge.

I'm not an expert.. so you will want to hear what others say.
01-12-2009, 04:05 AM,
Folliman gave very good advise. the front needs to be very, very clean and dry.
I'm just having a little giggle over thinking of folliman running his head down the bathroom mirrow. LOL
thanks for the visual , folliman.
DebbieS.
01-12-2009, 01:44 PM,
as a last resort.... lightly clean the front base with a magic foam eraser cleaner.
01-14-2009, 03:02 AM,
I had issues recently with my skin piece - seems more difficult to keep the front edge down.

What helped me a lot was a strip of ST30 tape running from the from to the back of the head (it doesn't have to be very long, even just a little bit) as it eliminates the pull on the unit from the back.
01-14-2009, 05:05 AM,
My last attachment was with tape only.

This is the first time I tried an all tape attachment on my full cap. Not only were the edges easily detectable, but the thing lifted after three days. Last night I simply peeled the thing off my head while I was watching TV.

My usual method of attachment is tape 1/4" behind for strength, and white glue at the edge to finish. This works great because there are no tape edges lining up with lace creating stress points that tend to move and buckle. the glue is so much thinner has more room to "flex", it seems.
01-14-2009, 03:15 PM,
folliman Wrote:Also, this may sound weird, but I take my head and rub it against my mirror to get all the glue residue off.. and take a Qtip with 99% alcohol to break up the little bit of glue on the lace, and try to rub the lace up against the mirror by pressing my head against it.

Hey folliman, I think this calls for an instructional video of you demonstrating this highly advanced cleaning technique! Big Grin

Thanks for the tip anyhow, I never thought of doing it that way. I always ripped out a piece of a page from a magazine and rubbed it against my head to get the glue off where the lace had lifted from. I tried rubbing my forehead against the mirror this morning and it works much better.
01-15-2009, 05:22 AM,
I think an instructional video of him running
his head up the mirror might achieve him Youtube
"Video of the Week" status ...

And I'd certainly be interested in seeing that
myself ! Smile
01-15-2009, 06:38 AM,
Hi
new to this forum, but have been wearing for a years. I use vapon no tape for my edges. Because I have oily skin, I alway put glue down first and let a dry, then put proflex tape down on top of dried glue for maximun hold usually 3 weeks. It holds longer but I have to wash and condition every 3 weeks and to prevent the glue from melting in the unit. Hope this helps
Smile
mulder Wrote:Hi all,

So far I've tried ST tape, blue liner tape, red tape, and combination of the tape with an extra base bond or silicone glue coating (I put a good layer of the glue on the adhesive bottom of the tape after applying to the hairpiece). The ST tape seems to work the best, but eventually I always get the edge lifting up. When I try to do touchups, the edge won't hold for more than a day if that.

Any suggestions on things I can do to get a better hold in the front lace? How do I go about doing a touchup that will last??

Thanks!
01-18-2009, 05:32 AM,
Jrob...interesting that you have poor success with tape too. I just got a new full cap of 64 lace and although it is a great unit, i am having poor results with tape only such as ST30 and Blue Liner. The hold is pathetic. Problem is also that I am having trouble using just glue because it is so difficult to get the glue line just right all around my head, especially the back of the head, to line up with the glue...glue line is either too short or too long, even though I mark it. Too short, then I have to spend way to much time adding glue to the back of my head, and too long, then hair sticks to it, and a pain to remove the stuck hair.

Therefore, I am wondering what glue placement technique you use. I'm also giving serious thought to going back to thinkskin perimeter on the next units...yes, detection is a problem with thinkskin, but a secure attachment is not a problem.