Hello There, Guest! Register

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Newbie with stained lace needs help/will polish remover work
01-16-2009, 04:57 AM,
Newbie with stained lace needs help/will polish remover work
Hello all, I have permanent marker stains on parts of my french lace base..the stains arn't too bad and I might just cut off the extra lace in front to remove the most obvious stained part..so the situation isn't too severe. But, I'm looking for methods to get out the stain before deciding to cut the lace off.

I've tried soaking overnight in Desolv-it and that didn't seem to work , though I didn't try to wipe the stain off too much after the soak, maybe I should have done that more.

But I was wondering if perhaps nail polish remover could be used to remove the stain and I wonder if nail polish remover is safe for the hair? If it can be used, how should one use it? And are there only certain kinds of nail polish remover that can be used?

Lastly, does anyone have any other suggestions? Soak in 99 alcohol? If so, for how long to soak in the 99 alcohol? Are their other solutions that can be used to soak the hairpiece in for a stain such as this?

Thanks all for any suggestions.s412

01-17-2009, 02:10 AM,
Re: Newbie with stained lace needs help/will polish remover work
do not use polish remover!! it will eat a hole through the lace.
try putting some 99% on a q-tip and removing with that.
DebbieS.
01-17-2009, 02:23 AM,
Hi S412

Can you tell me how you got the marker stain onto your piece? So that I can take care not to fall into the same situation.

Regards
Drog
01-17-2009, 12:38 PM,
Thanks Debbie, that sounds like solid advice, I will have to try that.

Drog, what i did was trace a marker line on my head, around my template while it was placed on my head. I made this marker line in order to have a guide of where to exactly place my hairpiece for a cut in. There was a tiny bit of extra lace on the sides and back and also some extra lace in front. When I put 99% alcohol on to release my hairpiece, it bled through and mixed with the marker line. The marker line then stained the lace.

I have heard this is a method to help place a hairpiece on correctly for a cut in. I guess the traced marker line should not go to the front hairline and that one should only attempt this if there is no extra lace on the sides and back at all. Maybe it would have been better to use an eyebrow pencil or crayola marker for a job like this also.

How do people fit a hairpiece on with complete exactness, for when getting ready for a cut in? Do other people have success with the marker line method that I described above?

Also, does anyone know other types of solutions one can soak a hairpiece in in order to get rid of stains? For my particular situation, soaking in Desolv-it has not worked yet.
01-17-2009, 01:23 PM,
what I do, is make little tiny dots with a sharpie around the template, then take the template off and apply the glue up to the dots (but don't cover them). then I remove all the dots except the front middle one with a q-tip sprayed with lace release. after the glue has dried, line up your piece just behind the front/middle dot and gently lay it down by rolling it backwards. now using the q-tip/lace release, remove the front dot. voila....perfect attachment!! and trust me, the tiny little dots are much easier to get off than a solid line of sharpie.
DebbieS.