Hello There, Guest! Register

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Young guy looking into hair replacement
01-21-2009, 06:26 PM,
Re: Young guy looking into hair replacement
Cool, thanks, this is starting to sound like a really good idea. I've got a a couple of questions. What price would I be looking at for a full cap with this style? and how often would I need to order a new one?
01-21-2009, 08:34 PM,
good luck mate!!

i soon too will be making the plunge!! i'm 19 so not much between us, both looking at the longer style :mrgreen:
01-22-2009, 06:07 PM,
Hi Sean

Got this from a previous thread.
Quote:Toplace said:
$195 for either all SFS or all French topper, $229 for SFS front plus French topper, and $295 for full French cap

As for how long it will last, i think its anything from 3-6mths depending on how well you take care of it. If you want to be really conservative, I guess unless you go all out to wear it down, 2 months will be the minimum period one would last.
01-23-2009, 08:21 AM,
drogster Wrote:Hi Sean

Got this from a previous thread.
Quote:Toplace said:
$195 for either all SFS or all French topper, $229 for SFS front plus French topper, and $295 for full French cap

As for how long it will last, i think its anything from 3-6mths depending on how well you take care of it. If you want to be really conservative, I guess unless you go all out to wear it down, 2 months will be the minimum period one would last.

If you happen to get good quality hair and take care of it, the unit will just be starting to look its best at about the 6 week mark and should last well over two months. I would say most pieces last at least 3.

If you want longevity and you are going with a full cap I would highly recommend straight hair. They don't perm it so less processing means stronger hair most of the time.

I had two full caps last me about 9 months with one hair add. They were too thick to start with so that helped them last longer, but on the other side of the coin they were medium wave and I fried the hair by bleaching it so they both shed like CRAZY.

My current straight hair unit is about 7 weeks old and has barely lost a hair. In addition, I have been using the prototype shampoo and conditioner the lab sent to me and have been using the serum religiously after each wash, so I expect this unit to last a very long time.
01-25-2009, 09:12 PM,
OK. It's just that I won't be earning a lot of money this year because I still have one more year of school left, so I'll have to make sure I put away money on a regular basis so that I won't get caught without a fresh piece. I can't order anything until I turn 18 anyway, and that's still a few months away.

How long do you think I could wear this style before I would have to think about changing to something shorter? like 10 years?
01-26-2009, 03:17 PM,
Sean Wrote:OK. It's just that I won't be earning a lot of money this year because I still have one more year of school left, so I'll have to make sure I put away money on a regular basis so that I won't get caught without a fresh piece. I can't order anything until I turn 18 anyway, and that's still a few months away.

How long do you think I could wear this style before I would have to think about changing to something shorter? like 10 years?

Wow Sean, you're only 17???

You can certainly pull off that style at that age. You will look like a million bucks. At 37 I would look ridiculous with that style, but at your age you could wear it for years. You will probably want to change it up when you get around your mid 20's, but you can still wear a longer style, even in your 30's.
01-26-2009, 07:31 PM,
Haha yeah I am, I mentioned it in my first post. Anyway thanks for the help, it's appreciated.
02-03-2009, 05:51 AM,
I started losing at 16 so I feel your pain. By 19 I wore a thich Hair Club for Men piece of crap. At 30 I found Toplace and it's been a life saver. Here's a few things...

1) At that young age I found that it really did a number on my confidence to the point where I probably should have talked to a therapist. I was so self conscious about it. Now that I'm older I could handle losing my hair a bit better but having lost it at such a young age was so hard. Plays with your head. If you find you are shying away from doing certian things that's a key indicator.

2) Are you sure you need a full cap? You'd be better off with just a partial or standard TL if you can do it. Full caps are more work.

3) My hair routine takes about about 5 hours a week. I have to swap/clean units twice and it takes about 2.5 hours each time for me because the unit needs to dry before I put it back on my head. It is a time consuming process but is better than not having hair. You need a place all to yourself where you can spend the time to do it unless those around you know you wear.
02-05-2009, 10:58 PM,
funandsum Wrote:1) At that young age I found that it really did a number on my confidence to the point where I probably should have talked to a therapist. I was so self conscious about it. Now that I'm older I could handle losing my hair a bit better but having lost it at such a young age was so hard. Plays with your head. If you find you are shying away from doing certian things that's a key indicator.

I can see where you're coming from, but I honestly think I would be much more confident with the piece. My confidence has gone to shit in the last 6 months or so since my hair has started getting really bad. I'm already shying away from doing certain things and getting really self conscious because of the horrible condition of my hair.

I know a piece would take some getting used to but I still think I would be much better off with one than without one.

funandsum Wrote:2) Are you sure you need a full cap? You'd be better off with just a partial or standard TL if you can do it. Full caps are more work.

I'm pretty sure I would need a full cap because my hair is thinning out severely all over my head. It's not just in a particular area, it's literally all over, and there is no clear pattern to it. So anything less than a full cap would be useless to me.

funandsum Wrote:3) My hair routine takes about about 5 hours a week. I have to swap/clean units twice and it takes about 2.5 hours each time for me because the unit needs to dry before I put it back on my head. It is a time consuming process but is better than not having hair. You need a place all to yourself where you can spend the time to do it unless those around you know you wear.

Yeah... that's another thing. I want to wear without my family knowing but I'm not sure how easy that would be. The main reason being, I have been trying to tell my parents for over a year now that I'm losing my hair, but they just won't listen. I have absolutely no idea how they would react if they found out I was wearing a wig, and I'd prefer to keep it that way. I could figure out a way to make it work though, like doing it after they've gone to bed or something.