Hello There, Guest! Register

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The Downside to Swiss Lace on a Full Cap
01-22-2009, 04:55 AM,
The Downside to Swiss Lace on a Full Cap
My latest full cap was made with a french lace base and swiss temples and hairline.

It never would have occurred to me when ordering, but the factory extended the swiss lace in the temples all the way back to behind the ears, and with the cut I have being VERY short directly above the ears, I am having problems.

As we all know swiss lace can fray very easily. What is happening is that the area above the ears is fraying for some reason causing it to lose hair. The hair in this area is little more than stubble, so as soon as it falls out it leaves a hole.

Now I have to dab a little Dermmatch there to cover it up, but it's going to get to the point where I will have to do surgery. This is good in a way because it will allow me to get it some video footage of a fairly complex base repair, but i just thought i would give this warning to anyone looking to do a short style.

Actually, after experimenting with swiss lace on my current units, I think from now on I will be ordering 100% French lace. Maybe swiss at the hairline, but to be honest french is easier to work with, more durable, and I can get it to disappear just as well as swiss.
01-22-2009, 05:14 AM,
Re: The Downside to Swiss Lace on a Full Cap
I agree JRob. I tried the SFS a couple of times and it is just too fragile for daily wear and tear. From the first reattachment it begins to disintergrate at the hairline very quickly ! And it tears very easily.
The French is so much more durable, never frays for me and I too am able to get it to disappear just fine !
01-22-2009, 06:25 AM,
I have an all Swiss lace full cap. I'm not having that problem, but I am pretty gentle with the piece. Also, I usually leave a little excess lace.
01-22-2009, 06:51 AM,
dino Wrote:Also, I usually leave a little excess lace.

That's the key. I suppose I could have done this, but I like to cut it right up to the hairline on the sides and back.
01-22-2009, 07:59 AM,
Dino, have you posted pics of your full cap ?
01-22-2009, 09:20 AM,
My full caps are all French with SFS only at the hairline. I too made the mistake once of ordering SFS temples and sideburns. I usually pull the sideburns down firmly when attaching so it stretches the hairline a litlle across the forehead. But of course one of the side burns ripped doing this. I eventually cut the SFS sideburns off altogether and grafted on some French lace ones instead made from an old wig.