Hello There, Guest! Register

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Cleaning SFS
01-27-2009, 07:46 AM,
Cleaning SFS
What is the best way to clean white glue (Basebond) from sfs? I currently use the mag slide technique and it works great until the piece starts to get a little older. After a couple of month of usage, the glue gets stuck in the lace, turns white, and wont' come out during a mag slide. It's trapped in the little squares of the lace.

Thanks for the help.
01-27-2009, 08:54 AM,
Re: Cleaning SFS
gt20,,,you might want to spray some de-solvit on your unit and let it soak a little...others have used the citrus solvent...then take a micro fiber towel and try to remove any excess glue...I have even taken a toothbrush and tried to scrape away the glue and get the glue out between the holes of the lace... also make sure you run water or wash in dawn detergent unit lace side up to remove all the solvent...so when you reattach you'll get a good bond...hope this helps...Cheers
01-27-2009, 09:40 AM,
Well,, I know what you mean. After 2 or three attachements.. maybe less. some glue.. probably more than you think gets imbedded in the lace.

THe best thing to do IMO is invest in a textile gun. But, I can't get myself to spend that much money on one.

I also no that after multiple mirro slides, and 99% alchohol.. you can wash the piece and then before it's completly dry, you can mirror slide again... and tons more glue will come out.. but that also has a tendancy to weaken the knots when you do a mirror slide with a wet piece.. so I wouldn't suggest that.

Some have mentioned baking soda cleaning, etc.. do that all at your own risk. I mainly just worry about getting it as clean as possible with 99 and a mirror clide, washing.. and maybe go to more extreme methods for the front lace as thats the most important to keep 100% clean.
01-28-2009, 12:04 PM,
GT20 Wrote:What is the best way to clean white glue (Basebond) from sfs? I currently use the mag slide technique and it works great until the piece starts to get a little older. After a couple of month of usage, the glue gets stuck in the lace, turns white, and wont' come out during a mag slide. It's trapped in the little squares of the lace.

Thanks for the help.

I've been using BaseBond (in the front) for almost 2 year now and I normally get a ton of use from the units, typically 10 months or more.

If you're having problems with BaseBond, then you're doing something horribly wrong Wink

- I assume that you're using lace release or 99% alcohol to release the unit.
If not, that's problem 1.
If you are, you must give it a few minutes to work that is release the lace from the BaseBond.
If done correctly, the unit will come right off and all, of almost all of the BaseBond will remain on your head.
The lace should have, at most, maybe, just a few little spots of it.

- Mirror slide the remaining itty bitty spots of BaseBond that may be on the lace, immediatly, while the lace release/alcohol is still wet. This works perfectly with BaseBond

How much BaseBond are you using when you attach ?

Three (3) thin layers, with a minute or so drying time between coats, works well for me, easily giving me a weeks hold between removals.

Smile
Fred
01-28-2009, 12:18 PM,
First off you should make sure that you aren't going too long between removals. If I go more than 4 days I have a huge mess on my hands. 4 days is the magic number for me.

Also, use just a little bit of adhesive remover. Don't use too much. Put it on your fingers and rub it into the lace a few minutes before doing a mirror slide.

And in my opinion, the magazine slide is inferior for removing glue. Use the mirror slide and get some tacky pallet stretch wrap to remove whatever the mirror doesn't get.

Oh yea, and BTW.....this is for preventative maintenance. If you keep it clean you really shouldn't get buildup, but if you do you might have to soak the piece or use something that can pressurize and spray your alcohol or remover, like a fabric gun or a waterpik, (but you gotta be careful with these)
01-29-2009, 11:36 AM,
I never use any of the adhesive removers on the piece before mirror sliding. if the glue is real dry, it will grab the mirror better. (if you have an oily adhesive remover on it, it will not "grab" the mirror, it will simply slide around leaving the glue in the lace holes.
I release with lace release, if you do this correctly, MOST if not ALL the glue will remain on your scalp and NOT on the piece.....so your clean up job is nearly done already.
DebbieS.
01-29-2009, 12:46 PM,
DebbieS. Wrote:I never use any of the adhesive removers on the piece before mirror sliding. if the glue is real dry, it will grab the mirror better. (if you have an oily adhesive remover on it, it will not "grab" the mirror, it will simply slide around leaving the glue in the lace holes.
I release with lace release, if you do this correctly, MOST if not ALL the glue will remain on your scalp and NOT on the piece.....so your clean up job is nearly done already.
DebbieS.

I was doing this for the longest time. I would remove, let the alcohol dry for a few minutes, then mirror slide. Most times it would look like all of the glue was gone but I could feel tacky areas on the lace.

I finally started using just a tiny bit of Pure and it seems to remove the residue better. Maybe the lace release as opposed to the alcohol makes the difference??
02-01-2009, 11:31 AM,
I guess since he lace release costs more than the alcohol it should be better right. At least when I was in the Broadcasting world they thought the more money you threw at a problem the better you were!http://www.toplace.com/phpBB3/posting.php?mode=reply&f=2&t=611# I like the 99% alcohol costs less than $3.00 a bottle when bought by the case.

macmike