Hello There, Guest! Register

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
special challenges of full cap
01-27-2009, 12:48 PM,
special challenges of full cap
Someone asked me about the special challenges of a full cap. Overall, I am much happier wearing a full cap compared to a topper with thin sides caked in concealers. But here are my biggest challenges.

-the nape doesn't stay down for me that well attached with even the strongest glue I know of, ultrahold. With strong tape I imagine it would hold fine. But the tape would show through at the nape in my current full cap. The nape has the shortest hairs and is the least dense part of my piece. You have to realize that there is some tension on the piece in the nape area below the bone because of head tilting.

-the temples have a tendency to ripple a tiny bit, at least for me with Swiss lace. I have to be painstaking in my attachment. Practice may or may not eventually make perfect.

There are other relatively minor issues like a little more money for the full cap and more adhesive needed for attachment. I know Jrob wrote a post on this too, but i cannot find it here right now.
01-27-2009, 03:42 PM,
Re: special challenges of full cap
Thanks for the info.

How did you cut in your full cap? Did you do that yourself or have it cut-in?

On your next order, will you go a little heaver on the nape and use tape? Or do you desire the thin nape ( which looks awesome BTW )

Thanks,
fourFingers
01-28-2009, 04:48 AM,
I would order the same density that I ordered before, 65%, and hope that it comes back looking like my prior orders with 65% density. I don't want to up the density to 70% and then have it comes back like the "old 70%" which is pretty thick. On the other hand, if another order comes back like the present one, I will go up to 70% for the nape on the order after that.

As far as cut ins, I like to do it myself most of the time. I enjoy having the control. On the other hand, I can see mailing a full cap to Debbie and letting her cut it in on the wig block. There is no blending to do, so it might be easier to do a cut in with the wearer absent than for someone with a topper. If Debbie lived in my region, there's no question that I'd let her do the cut in with the unit on my head. I would also be curious to see what a very good barber could do. You could conceivably cut this thing in with clippers if you like to wear very short hair.
01-29-2009, 01:11 PM,
Funny, I don't have any of those issues. I think I mentioned it before but I would bet that it has a little bit to do with the way your muscles move in your face because I have zero attachment problems in the temple area.
01-29-2009, 03:38 PM,
I'm so glad I don't lose my hair like i lose my password and username for this forum!

Anyway, funny this should come up, I'm half way done on an attachment and was thinking to myself, I wonder when is the right time to go full cap?

I like the idea of sending a fullcap to Deb and then it coming over here to Oz. Our hair hat people here are typically pretty bad.

Umm, what's a nape? :]
01-29-2009, 03:55 PM,
Napean - This is a list of sentient species and races from the fictional universe of Star Trek.

Nape - Back of neck between crown and mantle.

I reckon I'd have this sort of issue. My long hair on the back always curls up there.
01-29-2009, 04:06 PM,
Jrob...The lace in the temples area fits me differently when my eyebrows are raised vs. when they are not raised.
02-01-2009, 11:38 AM,
I have thought about a full cap. I just hate to shave my head and be totally bald waiting on one to come to me. Plus would be worried about getting the measurements and drawings correct. I do have thin sides. I have wished several times I had gotten one of the folks at the Chicago get together a couple of years ago to have done me a template for a full cap.

macmike