Hello There, Guest! Register

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Please help with oranging
01-28-2009, 12:03 PM,
Please help with oranging
I have medium ash brown hair and I can never go more then two weeks without my units getting that orange tint to it in certain lighting. If I color the unit it clears it up for a few days, but if anybody has any suggestions on any preventative steps or products that may delay this change they would be much appreciated.
01-28-2009, 12:06 PM,
Re: Please help with oranging
Depp Wrote:I have medium ash brown hair and I can never go more then two weeks without my units getting that orange tint to it in certain lighting. If I color the unit it clears it up for a few days, but if anybody has any suggestions on any preventative steps or products that may delay this change they would be much appreciated.

Don't shampoo the unit or do so very rarely.
Nothing seems to really alter the color faster than shampooing, regardless of what brand you use.

Smile
Fred
01-28-2009, 12:12 PM,
How often do you wash the unit? The less washing the better.

What kind of shampoo/conditioner do you use? They should be both be color safe and sulfate-free.

How much time do you spend in the sun? Do you use any sort of products that contain sunscreen? It can help if you spend any time in the sun.

I wear a similar color (#17...a little lighter). You are a #6 or 7ash?? I don't have those problems at all. I'm guessing that there is something wrong. Could be the hair you got, but it could also be something in your routine. Need more info....
01-28-2009, 02:35 PM,
I probably shampoo the unit once a week. I condition the unit about three times a week. I am more of a 5 ash then 6 ash. Right now there is not much sun where i am right now. I just checked my shampoo and one of the ingredients is sodium laureth sulfate. In my conditioner there are hydrolized wheat protien and cetyl alcohol which i am not sure if they are bad for the hair or not.
01-28-2009, 03:00 PM,
get a $30 water filter for your shower. I have a client that comes in every 3 weeks for service, every 3 weeks I had to color his hair as it turned orange....he got a water filter for his shower at home depot...problem solved. there was no discoloration when he came in again. amazing results.
DebbieS.
01-28-2009, 03:14 PM,
Are you using a high quality dye? I order #8 and use Wella Color Charm to color my unit one shade darker. I use the same tint with 10 volume developer to color the piece and 30 volume to color my own hair and never get the orange tint. Perfect match every time. Since I wear my hair 2 - 21/2" I can go about 6 weeks before recoloring my own hair and maybe every 3 monts doing the piece.
01-28-2009, 03:31 PM,
I think Debbie is spot on about the filter.I had the same exact problem.There is some rust or other metal
in your water in trace amounts,that after a few weeks,starts glowing orange like.I spent some money and got a
good filter.In fact,I am getting a second filter for the boiler room sink,if I only want to wash the unit.
You also need purple and/or blue color in your hair to offset your problem right now.That will cancel out most of
the orange you are seeing.Sally beauty supply has something called red/gold that will do the trick.I think Debbie
also sells something with blue in it,not sure.I used something a few years back called Black Melva that worked great.
Dont give up,you will slove this.
01-28-2009, 06:05 PM,
is this due to chlorine? I live in nyc. so the water is pretty clean, but i wonder if the chlorine fades the hair
01-29-2009, 03:36 AM,
yes, chlorine does fade haircolor.
but I think there are other things in some water that also discolor the hair...like rust, hard water etc.
01-29-2009, 01:08 PM,
Good point Debbie.

I have a filter on my shower and one in the kitchen where I wash my unit most of the time. For me, the effects are negligible, but water varies by area. I definitely know it doesn't hurt.