Hello There, Guest! Register

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Cut a lace piece to the size of another...
02-11-2009, 12:27 PM,
Cut a lace piece to the size of another...
Can someone provide detailed instructions on how to cut a unit to the size of another unit? I went out and bought a styrofoam head cuz I think I need that. What else will I need and how is it done? I basically need to to reshape an older unit to a newer unit.

What do you use to cut it?
What method do you use so it's accurate?

Thanks immensely for any help.
02-11-2009, 12:41 PM,
Re: Cut a lace piece to the size of another...
NotGuilty Wrote:Can someone provide detailed instructions on how to cut a unit to the size of another unit? I went out and bought a styrofoam head cuz I think I need that. What else will I need and how is it done? I basically need to to reshape an older unit to a newer unit.

What do you use to cut it?
What method do you use so it's accurate?

Thanks immensely for any help.

Place the unit you want to copy upside down on the styro head.
Make a template, just as you normally would using the size of the upside down unit.
Remove the unit from the styro head.
Place new unit upside down in the styro head.
Put newly made template on top.
Cut new unit to match the template.

Easy Wink

Smile
Fred
02-11-2009, 01:31 PM,
Sounds easy. What do you use to cut with, just normal scissors? I don't want to screw up the hair that will be used (i.e, cut up or uneven etc)
02-11-2009, 02:10 PM,
NotGuilty Wrote:Sounds easy. What do you use to cut with, just normal scissors? I don't want to screw up the hair that will be used (i.e, cut up or uneven etc)

I use a pair of manicure scissors.
Yes, you're correct in being a little worried about cutting the hair.
If the unit is lace you want to just barely slip the end of the scissors under the lace, trying hard to cut just the lace, not any longer hair with the lace.

BTW, it may not be clear from my previous post about making a template.
You put the plastic wrap on the styro head that has the only unit on it, upside down.
Then trace the outline of the old unit onto the plastic wrap, then apply some tape, etc.
So it's just like making a template of your head, except you're using the styro head and the base of the old unit to trace the "design" onto the plastic wrap.
Make sense ?

Smile
Fred
02-11-2009, 02:34 PM,
...better watch my lace cutting video too.
02-11-2009, 02:53 PM,
Thanks, Fred, that made sense about the template.

In terms of not cutting the longer hair attached to the lace... how is that possible? Seems like you will have to cut some of it.

Snipe: There's a video!??! Where do I get it?
02-11-2009, 04:37 PM,
Oh, and another completely naive question (lol): How do you get the wig/base to stay secure on the styrohead? I bought some pins but they are a bit too large in diameter for the holes in the lace. Do you use something else?
02-12-2009, 12:02 AM,
check the info links thread, it will show you how.
02-12-2009, 12:31 AM,
NotGuilty, you need to use what's called "T-pins". The vertical part of the T is the sharp part of the pin, and the top of the T keeps the head of the pin from going through the lace.

They're available in craft stores (try Michaels) or fabric stores like JoAnn's.

[Image: Tpin_Cluster_220x220.jpg]