Hello There, Guest! Register

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Is it possible to make hair look less shiny?
02-13-2009, 08:44 AM,
Is it possible to make hair look less shiny?
I have an old spare hairpiece here that is rather too shiny a match for my own dry looking hair ... the colour match is fine ... the only thing that is putting me off wearing it is it seems a bit too shiny compared to my own hair.

I've washed this spare a few times in shampoo without conditioner and still is rather shiny.

Questions
(1) Are there any products that could make it look a little more dry?

(2) When ordering hair in future, is Remi hair more shiny, less shiny or just the same? .... is there any type of hair that is less young and perfect looking? Big Grin

(3) I am also going to try making my own hair a bit more shiny, apart from conditioner it is not something I've bothered with in past, which product should I try? I am not after a wet look.

Thanks
02-13-2009, 09:35 AM,
Re: Is it possible to make hair look less shiny?
To reduce shine you might want to pick up a small bottle of Jojoba oil from Vitamin Shoppe or another supplement store. Just a couple of drops on damp hair should dull down the shine. It's also very good for the hair.

As for ADDING shine, pick up a hair polish or serum that contains phenyltrimethicone, which is a silicone that is used to add shine.

Between the two of these it should help your problem. might take a little experimenting, and these two products are miscible (soluble) so you can even mix the two to get a different result.
02-13-2009, 12:10 PM,
Jrob, I see that your foray into the world of haircare (blue serum and such) is turning you into quite the chemist, hehe. Though it's hard to feel very appreciative when I'm getting ready to go out for the night or when I run into some girl from high school on whom I had a searing crush, I think I have hairloss to thank for my entire science education.
02-13-2009, 03:15 PM,
A very light dusting of baby powder (or something close to that), then brushed thoroughly out, will do the trick. Initially it lightens up the hair but when you put it in, but it returns to its normal shade as you brush it out and the powder takes off the shine in the process.

But baby powder has a very distinctive perfumy smell to it that I don't care to carry around with me, so I looked through the drugstore and settled on Gold Bond "ultimate body powder', basically baby powder for adults. The aroma was very mild compared to regular baby powder and it was cheap. You might even find some powder that's unscented that will do the same thing.

I have a backup synthetic long hair system that I slap on when I don't have time to deal with tape and glue. Synthetic is shiny by nature but the powder makes it look very close to my human hair system. Takes just a tiny bit. Shake it onto a brush, shake out the brush, and then comb it through. It washes right out next time you rinse the system, unlike jojoba oil which may take shampoo to remove.

An added bonus is that if you use tape in front like I do, the powder gets through the lace and cuts the shine on the tape at the same time as the hair.
02-13-2009, 06:06 PM,
hairykrishna Wrote:Jrob, I see that your foray into the world of haircare (blue serum and such) is turning you into quite the chemist, hehe. Though it's hard to feel very appreciative when I'm getting ready to go out for the night or when I run into some girl from high school on whom I had a searing crush, I think I have hairloss to thank for my entire science education.

Yea, I have gotten quite an education on hair product ingredients over the past year. If you do a little research you will see that there are lots of myths floating around that aren't doing us any favors. I had to weed through a lot of BS and do some of my own experimentation to figure out what is fact and what is fiction. And working with a talented lab team is pretty cool too Wink

It's kind of nice to be able to pick up a bottle of hair product and identify at least half of the ingredients right off the top of your head.
02-13-2009, 06:12 PM,
RD. Wrote:It washes right out next time you rinse the system, unlike jojoba oil which may take shampoo to remove.

There are so many variables in this game that it is often impossible to nail down a specific solution to a problem, but just for the record you don't' necessarily want to "remove" jojoba oil from the hair. It happens to be the closest natural substitute for your own natural hair lubricant/protectant (sebum) that exists. You don't want to saturate the hair with any oil, but a little bit will help to dull the shine and improve the condition of the hair.
02-14-2009, 12:27 AM,
Read my final 4 gel review in the info links thread.

Paul Mitchell Tea Tree does a good job reducing the shine.
02-15-2009, 11:07 AM,
Thanks for the replies. Much appreaciated. Let me try some of these, I will report back. :-)
02-16-2009, 08:23 AM,
Wear it about 14 months.....