Hello There, Guest! Register

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
3 keys to getting 6 months out of your lace "unit"
02-15-2009, 05:59 AM,
3 keys to getting 6 months out of your lace "unit"
Ok, I developed a simple routine and process for managing my piece over the years and can get 6 months out of my wig np.

I've tested diferent processes and products, eliminating things to see what the cause and effect is and have narrowed it down to three keys.

I use Creme of Nature shampoo, the new stuff has sulfates and has been discussed here recently, but I have fantastic results, even better than Pureology. I also use CON conditioner, which is just unreal, thanks to JohnnyABQ for pushing it on me. I know both of these have changed ingredients since the last forum but they are just awesome, 4 bucks a bottle at Walmart. So, I'm not including these as one of the 3 keys, since over the years I've tried many shampoos and conditioners and still gotten 6 months out of all the wigs.

Here they are, THE 3 keys:

1. Paul Mitchell WaxWorks as a daily styling product.(Jrobs BlueMax is the only option and seems to work as well, but is sold out)
2. Debbie's Knot Sealer
3. Shower filter.

I was getting 4 or 5 months out of each unit but when AtlantaGuy turned me on to the shower filter, it was what put me over the top at 6 months or longer.
02-15-2009, 06:08 AM,
Re: 3 keys to getting 6 months out of your lace "unit"
This type of info is what being a Toplcae user is all about.People helping people,simple as that.
Great post
02-15-2009, 06:09 AM,
Thank you MD!
02-15-2009, 06:30 AM,
I'm gonna add one one more that I recently started using myself- a satin pillowcase.

And it's not so much about reducing shedding (which is almost always a result of dryness), it's about keeping the unit moisturized. Since I have switched from cotton I have noticed that the back and sides of my full cap does not dry out any more quickly than the top, as it did with normal cotton.

Every day that passes I am more and more convinced that the key to keeping these things looking good is moisture. Harsh shampoos, many styling products, alcohol, chlorine (hence the shower filter) heat, and anything that wicks moisture will prematurely dry the piece.
02-15-2009, 07:41 AM,
Snipe Wrote:Ok, I developed a simple routine and process for managing my piece over the years and can get 6 months out of my wig np.

I've tested diferent processes and products, eliminating things to see what the cause and effect is and have narrowed it down to three keys.

I use Creme of Nature shampoo, the new stuff has sulfates and has been discussed here recently, but I have fantastic results, even better than Pureology. I also use CON conditioner, which is just unreal, thanks to JohnnyABQ for pushing it on me. I know both of these have changed ingredients since the last forum but they are just awesome, 4 bucks a bottle at Walmart. So, I'm not including these as one of the 3 keys, since over the years I've tried many shampoos and conditioners and still gotten 6 months out of all the wigs.

Here they are, THE 3 keys:

1. Paul Mitchell WaxWorks as a daily styling product.(Jrobs BlueMax is the only option and seems to work as well, but is sold out)
2. Debbie's Knot Sealer
3. Shower filter.

I was getting 4 or 5 months out of each unit but when AtlantaGuy turned me on to the shower filter, it was what put me over the top at 6 months or longer.

Snipe what is Con Conditoner?
02-15-2009, 08:50 AM,
Quote:This type of info is what being a Toplcae user is all about.People helping people,simple as that.
Great post

yeah, i second that. Its nice when people post tips and helpful info like this to help everyone here out. Thanks Snipe.

Also, to ravid4 CON is short for Creme of Nature.
02-15-2009, 10:30 AM,
Thanks Snipe/jrob/xeon/ debbie/ ba /john etc. I hope I haven't left anyone out as I can't remember everybody...Where's Bobby phil....Johnny NM...Jake ....it's guys like you that keep the forum going and make everyday/incidentials/ and wearing easier for the newbies and the veterans....I read things sometimes and think oh well...and then I try it and it works...nothing is not important....it gives you insight to probelms that arise...My hat if off to all the contributors.Cheers
03-08-2009, 06:12 AM,
can u tell me what ur specs are? also, do u shampoo it in the shower and how often do u remove it?
03-14-2009, 11:19 PM,
wheels07 Wrote:Thanks Snipe/jrob/xeon/ debbie/ ba /john etc. I hope I haven't left anyone out as I can't remember everybody...Where's Bobby phil....Johnny NM...Jake ....it's guys like you that keep the forum going and make everyday/incidentials/ and wearing easier for the newbies and the veterans....I read things sometimes and think oh well...and then I try it and it works...nothing is not important....it gives you insight to probelms that arise...My hat if off to all the contributors.Cheers

True words well spoken

Peverel