Hello There, Guest! Register

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Advice from the vets - the first day back
02-16-2009, 03:19 PM,
Advice from the vets - the first day back
So my first day back in the workplace is Tuesday - somehow I get President's Day off Smile I'm a little nervous about my first day back around people who know me well, and will likely notice the change. I'm not going from 100% slaphead to superhero, but I was pretty damn bald in my crown and took no effort to conceal it - so at least some people will have to notice.

I don't care that much what people think, especially at the office, but can anyone help prepare me for what to expect as far as questions, comments, etc? I do know that I don't plan to deny it if someone asks if I got a "toupee" - just to say that I'm thrilled with the look and being able to have a hairstyle for the first time in many years.

What were your experiences?
02-16-2009, 04:29 PM,
Re: Advice from the vets - the first day back
If you had hair in the front and a some hair on the top of your head you'll be surprised that people really won't notice. One good thing to do is change something else about yourself. Wear contacts if you wear glasses, shave your beard if you have one, dress differently...etc... this way if they notice a difference they are not sure what is.
02-16-2009, 06:33 PM,
Definitely wear glasses if you normally don't or do something a little different.

Or, if you styled your bangs down, spike them up, or vice versa.

Like Depp said, you will be surprised that no one will notice.

If they do notice, don't say "what are you talking about?" That will be a dead give away.

If they ask, just say you had a scalp treatment done and ask if they notice it makes your hair look fuller. Just make up something simple like that.
02-17-2009, 05:25 AM,
Use some hair gel and gel it up into a funky new style. If you draw attention to your hair in a different style then people will think it's just... "a different style", and will think that is why it looks so good Smile
02-19-2009, 12:48 PM,
So far, nobody has mentioned anything relating to a hairpiece - though I'm sure some have noticed and made the connection. A few people said "did you get a haircut" and said it looked good, and our CEO (relatively small company, sits in the office right behind me and has been staring at my bald crown for the last year and a half) said "I like the hair" pretty darn loudly as he walked past my desk today.

Even the people I thought were most likely to rip on me, since we rip on each other all day for sport - didn't. Either they truly don't notice and think I found the most magical barber on the planet, or they just think it looks better than it did before and I should have done it sooner.

Not one cringe moment to report so far. My advice based on my experience to anyone who is letting this hold them back from wearing - don't. Not nearly as bad as I thought it could be.
02-19-2009, 02:03 PM,
Not to be a jerk, but they notice. A ceo is a ceo for a reason, thus the ambiguous loud comment.

Don't fool yourself.

Bald spots don't disappear.

That shouldn't matter to you, the only part of that comment that is important is the 'I like'.

When I first started wearing, I've never been bald, my best friend still figured it out immediately the first day, then said 'it looks fantastic'.
I realized then that I was good to go because that he knew didn't phase me one bit.

The biggest mistake a wearer can make is fooling himself into thinking that people who know don't really know.
02-19-2009, 02:47 PM,
Yeah, I'm not pretending nobody notices. I saw an awful lot of eyes drift toward my crown area when talking to people. However, I'm taking the compliments and otherwise quietness from people to mean that they think it looks stylish, appropriate, and not like a piece. That was my goal from the beginning - not to fool anyone, but to make people say, "damn, that looks pretty good, can't believe that is a hairpiece"

I haven't had one negative comment, or even anyone say anything mentioning a piece.
02-19-2009, 04:20 PM,
Snipe Wrote:The biggest mistake a wearer can make is fooling himself into thinking that people who know don't really know.

This is true in the beginning, however, one thing worth noting is that some people are likely to notice that you had something done, but with a good looking unit they aren't usually thinking "hairpiece". This is where hairpiece ignorance actually HELPS us.

The reason I know this is because I have officially "let the cat out of the bag" to several people who already knew that I was doing "something", but even after explaining to them what it is they still didn't seem to quite comprehend it. Only one person came out and asked me if it was a piece, and he's losing his hair so he was one of those people who are simply more conscious of it.

As long as it looks good that's all that matters.
02-19-2009, 09:37 PM,
This is one thing that makes me say " I wish I know what they are thinking!!!"
My first day back at work..everyone noticed..they all said the same thing.." You got a new hair style or something" and the occasional 'You got more hair!!"etc.. I never had a bald spot showing and have a decent hairline with thinning all over that was camoflauged with concealer but people still noticed..I dont think they conceive it to be a piece tho..
The person that made me the most nervous was in-fact the CIO..Mainly because he does'nt usually talk much but on this day he walks in and complimented my hair for about 2 mins in front of everyone saying stuff like.." You look younger, more professional more attractive etc.." Now most people can take it in a good way but I think not. Put it this way..he must be pretty switched on to be where he is and also HE IS BALD! so I think he pbly has an idea of whats happening.
The only other person thats really pissing me off is this loud..gay..bald guy that works in one of our other offices and comes in once a week..he f****n stares at my hairline when he walks past and says stuff like " Your hair looks different, you look 10 years younger" and the one comment from him that makes me even more nervous is " There's something going on here, your hair just looks SO different!!" This really makes me nervous but I keep saying to myself that it does'nt matter if he knows it is a piece but as long it looks good".
So there's my story so far buddies and dont ever think you can fool everyone..with a good piece you can fool people who never met you before but people who know you before will notice the change but most pbly dont think its a piece..Saying that I goto add that my ex-girlfriend that I've been with for 6 years and other people I've known for over 5 years did'nt even notice.. Big Grin So I think I'm doing pretty well.. Big Grin Big Grin Big Grin
02-20-2009, 02:07 AM,
Justerxr, you are doing great. And I would bet that most people don't know exactly what it is you've done.

Getting a piece makes you look drastically better so of course some people will be a little jealous! One of my friends noticed I had something done. I was a little paranoid for a while wondering if he was aware it was a piece, but recently he told my girlfriend "I know what Mr.Burns is doing, he's dying his hair, right?".

So all that time I thought he was looking at my hair thinking "it's a wig", when in fact he was curious about my grey areas. He is also going grey (he has long thick hair, but getting a little lighter recently).

Honestly, most people who meet you newly will not notice. And people who know you for years will start to adjust and will also forget about your new look after a few weeks... I promise Smile They will get bored of looking at your hair (that's unless they have absolutely nothing better to do!).