Hello There, Guest! Register

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
full cap: how much more difficult
02-17-2009, 04:41 PM,
full cap: how much more difficult
the thought of attaching a full cap scares the living hell out of me. Obviously some people here do do it. How hard is it? My sides and back continue to thin and fade away and someday I might have to attempt this.
02-17-2009, 07:32 PM,
Re: full cap: how much more difficult
To be honest with you, my attachments have been 10x more consistent with a full cap than they were with a topper, even from the first full cap I ever attached.

I think I got lucky and found a method that works well for me on the first shot, and I have used it every time since (sometimes with minor mods)

I won't go into 100% detail, but I start in the back taping the piece at the nape. Then I set the unit right where I want it and flip the back edge up to peel the backing from the tape, then I tack it down in the center and move outward in both directions. Once the back is in place the piece will naturally fall into place in the front. At this point I usually roll it forward and mark a dotted glue line with a blue lipliner pencil at the front from sideburn to sideburn.

Then I flip the unit back and apply tape above the ears and up the temples, and I put a contour strip at the hairline, keeping everything back about 1/4" or so. Then I use white glue all along my temples and hairline, including on top of the blue liner or walker tape to kill any shine.

Once two coats of glue are applied and dry, I roll the piece up to just in front of the crown so it sits on the top of my head with the sides flipped up like wings. A little spritz of alcohol over the adhesive area, and then I attach the hairline quickly, followed by the sides and temples. The alcohol is the key so you can get it just where you want it.

My motto is "Tape for strength, glue for finish". I use blue liner so the piece isn't going anywhere, and white glue for a clean finish.

All you have to do is take your time, and this method could also be used front to back as well.
02-18-2009, 05:45 AM,
I think the general consensus on full caps is they are, overall, no more difficult that a topper. Pros and cons:

+ Very secure attachment
+ No blending issues (save time blending)
+ No colour issues (save time dying hair)
+ Can restore your youthful temples

- A little more time to attach because of base size (use more time)
- Requires a little expertise to get the temple points, sideburns and nape correct (use more time [initially])
- More expensive
- Not so good for excercise or hot climate because of heat build up / sweating

Overall though, I think it balances out nicely.
02-18-2009, 09:09 AM,
Mr.Burns Wrote:I think the general consensus on full caps is they are, overall, no more difficult that a topper. Pros and cons:

+ Very secure attachment
+ No blending issues (save time blending)
+ No colour issues (save time dying hair)
+ Can restore your youthful temples

- A little more time to attach because of base size (use more time)
- Requires a little expertise to get the temple points, sideburns and nape correct (use more time [initially])
- More expensive
- Not so good for excercise or hot climate because of heat build up / sweating

Overall though, I think it balances out nicely.

Pretty good summary there, Burnsy. I have a complete list (or as complete as I could compile) of the pros and cons of going full cap in my eBook and eventually the DVD :?
02-18-2009, 01:03 PM,
I agree with most of what's been said here so far. However, I find that I can attach front to back, the way I used to attach a topper. I initially had my share of difficulty with the application, but I have had several recent good attachments in a row---so I think the problem exists no longer. There are several good videos on youtube demonstrating African American women applying their full caps. Even though they wear a cap underneath their wig, I find the attachment process to be very similar to what I do.
02-18-2009, 05:29 PM,
Actually, since the back to front method has worked so well for me, i have never even tried it front to back. Maybe i will try it one of these days just for the hell of it......