Hello There, Guest! Register

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Wearing hair - not for everyone...
02-25-2009, 07:18 AM,
Re: Wearing hair - not for everyone...
How far did u get with the girl you brought home from the bar?
02-25-2009, 09:04 AM,
I think the experience you had was very normal. I felt the same way you did, you should try to give it more of a chance, a week is not that long. I think it took me about 3 months before I was satisfied with attachments and styling.
02-25-2009, 09:34 AM,
I definitely agree with the forum members regarding having to get used to the piece and feeling comfortable. Perhaps play around with it at home when you get free time. That way if you ever wanted to go back to wearing again, you would have gained confidence.

Trust me, if you felt paranoid that the girl was trying to feel your edges, she was not. If anything, she probably thought it was short hairs or gel, or didn't notice anything at all, which was more likely the case.

But you've got the shaved head look down fine. So that works well too!
02-27-2009, 03:39 AM,
I'm 50/50 about reading your post. On one hand, I'm disappointed that after reading a lot of positive reviews and success stories, someone had a bad experience trying to wear a system. On the other hand, I'm glad to hear the honesty and support from the community here that it can be trial/error at first but there are plenty of people around to help you get through it.

I'm finally getting to a position where I can order a system and make an appointment with Debbie and I'm getting a bit nervous, asking the same questions as you. But as I said, it's nice to know that there's people here to help me make the most of the experience. Hopefully there will be a point where you can give it another try and things will change for the better.
02-28-2009, 12:53 AM,
Wearing hair is not for everyone, yep. Shaving or wearing is a challenge. I've become more confident in myself after wearing, and at the moment I don't have the choice to shave...due to a medical condition with my scalp.
02-28-2009, 02:08 AM,
Stu Pidasell Wrote:I'm 50/50 about reading your post. On one hand, I'm disappointed that after reading a lot of positive reviews and success stories, someone had a bad experience trying to wear a system. On the other hand, I'm glad to hear the honesty and support from the community here that it can be trial/error at first but there are plenty of people around to help you get through it.

The only people who will tell you this is a flawless process are the crooks at hair clubs. There are ups and downs. But baldness is something that we can't help; it has happened to us, and we have to accept it, face the facts and move on.

Hair replacement is, imho, a positive way to deal with hairloss. It's not flawless, but there are NO easy or flawless options once you lose your hair. The advertisers will tell you that certain things are the ultimate perfection and will make your life perfect, but they all lie to sell you a product. Bottom line is that you were unlucky in the genetics and there is no quick fix that works for the rest of your life. Meds are dangerous (don't even get me started), transplants are too expensive and don't always give good results (and in the long term, there seems to be issues, you may need to go back a few times)... and I can't see any of this hair cloning stuff coming to fruition in the near future, and even if it did - price would reflect demand! ...which leaves hair replacement.

IMO, HR is the best option by a long shot. You won't get better than this, and you won't look as good as this using ANY other technique, and I can guarantee you that. And if you keep up the maintenance and DIY, it will work as a long term solution without any serious problems down the line. For me, this is the ultimate thing for a bald person - you get the hair you've always wanted and you do maintenance on your own terms, when you like, where you like. The systems aren't overly expensive either, and neither are the accessories. Not to mention all the support in these forums.

It simply doesn't get much better than this, and it won't for a very long time I would wager Smile
02-28-2009, 03:43 AM,
in reply, I have struggled with proper wearing and under huge stress for at least 6 months before i get things right

1) at first, i can't attach well, because lace always create these bubble.. it takes a bit of time to figure out the proper way of taping it, no gaps etc.. i was so depressed the days i go to work and find out i have a bubble on my head.. wishing nobody find out
2) and then it was inconsistent hairline position... i wasn't even using alcohol99% before attaching.. so if i got it wrong at first, i m screwed!! not until recently, i figure this out watching some video, and i can re-adjust my position so easily.. the hairline way more consistent.. but ya.. it took me 6 months to figure this out.
3) and then it is the maintenance, it used to take me up to 2 hours to take it off, clean it, and re-attach it, maybe 3 hours somtime... very very tiring after 8 hours of fulltime work... now i figured out ways to do everything in 30 minutes or so... maybe shorter... it is like an art
4) i was upset at the beginning that my scalp isn't clean... so hard to wash it thru the system yet i dont want frequent attachment it is too tedious. so i figured to use 1 day tape just for the back so i can lift and clean the whole scalp every day.. feel great... took me 6 months to figure this out tho
5) then it is the itchiness... wasn't cleaning and preparing my scalp properly.. got to try out different product to suit you

plus, many tricks i picked up such as hair cut-in (DYI), maintenance, styling and such... it is an art and i have to say i m still learning... i just ordered another piece from TL and going to try something new... it is stressful but it will pay off.
02-28-2009, 10:02 AM,
Look, for all you worried people on the fence: try it for six months and if you don't like it then don't wear. But you have to give it a good effort before you decide. It takes a bit of getting used to but like anything it can be learned and pretty soon you'll be finding that you are good at it and it's really no big deal. Trust us...

That being said, if you look good with a shaved head don't bother. That seems silly.
02-28-2009, 11:28 AM,
Yea, you have to give it some time. In a week you haven't even begun to get past the learning curve. Six months is definitely more realistic.
02-28-2009, 01:23 PM,
Cool... but yeah, you bailed on it way too early to give it a fair shot.

Even once you get your look right (highly unlikely to happen with the first order, etc.) it could still take even longer to get used to new photos, etc. of yourself.