Hello There, Guest! Register

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Hi! A newb with a few questions!
02-25-2009, 10:51 AM,
Hi! A newb with a few questions!
Hi everyone, I'm a newbie with some questions to which the answers may be common knowledge or covered in other forums but just keep in mind that I've never worn a hairpiece ever in my life. I've made my template, got my hair samples, and I'm ready to ship them off and order 2 units as I'd like to have a spare one just in case. I've had a couple incidences that have made me decide to get a hair piece, a lady where I work thought I was in my 40's because of my baldness, and being a bit of a photoshop expert I added hair to my head in a photo and one of my co-workers said I looked about 10 years younger. Now for the questions;

I plan on getting a french lace unit and was wondering how long they last on average, I also want the ability to show my front hairline and was wondering how well the french lace dissapears once properly attached?

I plan on wearing for a week at a time using glue in the front (I've heard that using tape in the front gives quite a shiny appearance) and tape at the sides and back, I have a slightly oily scalp and was wondering if anyone could give some advice on good ones to use ( I realize that different products work differently on different people, but I'd like to start with ones that others have had good results with).

I'm thinking about going with light density and just a bit of grey in the unit as the hair I do have has always been fine and not really thick as well. I have a kit with samples from another company that I was considering whom I won't badmouth because they are a great bunch of people and their products look pretty nice, your products look just as nice and in some cases better but at a better price. I'm glad I found toplace and plan on ordering very soon, any advice you folks could give me would be appreciated greatly as there are questions I'm sure I haven't asked that maybe I should be asking. I know there will be a learning curve and some frustration at times as well as bad hair days so I'm not coming into this with unrealistic expectations, thank you for reading my long winded post and I look forward to your advice!

Cheers!

Kevin
02-25-2009, 10:15 PM,
Re: Hi! A newb with a few questions!
Hi Kevin!!
Welcome!! French lace will last longer than a SFS unit...But I have had French lace and I really don't care for them simply because sometimes the lace is too rigid and hard to stay put without lift...others on the forum swear by french...it's a personal choice and you would have to try one to see the difference...However if you get a SFS lace I would purchase Debbies knot sealer...It will definelty give you a longer life from the unit...My current unit is going on 8 months so you be the judge...I know most people on the forum think that all newbies need to start with french lace...but that's only if you don't have a clue about maintaing your unit...It all depends on your lifestyle and how hard you are on the unit...As far as products go...you will just have to experiment a bit adjusting for your own chemistry...I would get some ST30 tape and maybe start with Base Bond or Iglue...and go from there...As far as density goes a picture would be a good starting point and BA and John can direct you on those issues...I am 60 Years old and wear 65% with a little grey...and this seems to fit the density of my own virgin hair very well....again BA and john with a picture can direct you on your first order...most other companies have their own density charts that are different than Toplace. Hope this helps...Welcome to Toplace...they have treated me very well.Cheers
02-26-2009, 06:17 AM,
I agree, go with Swiss and just get Debbie's knot sealer. The French Lace gave me a LOT of heartburn as it is very difficult to disappear properly. Even if you do get it glued right (takes heavy strength glue), it will eventually start to show through in a few hours, especially if your forehead sweats after walking, etc.

SFS is the way to go. May as well go all Hollywood on yourself if you're going to do this right.
02-27-2009, 06:26 PM,
Thanks for the info, I think I will give the swiss lace a go as I would like to show the front hairline, if you are getting 8 months out of a system I'd be happy just getting half as long out of one, so it's good to know that with proper care they last. I'll post some pics as soon as I take some, I'm a photographer and don't have many pics of myself as I'm used to being on the other side of the camera. Once again, thanks for the advice.