Hello There, Guest! Register

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Tape on Lace
02-26-2009, 12:44 PM,
Tape on Lace
Think this is unique problem but I can't seem to get ST30 tape to work very well on all lace full cap. Doesn't seem to want to stick to lace very well, but really sticks to scalp well. Brand new lace unit so wondering if there is some type of coating on the lace that rejects the tape from holding well. Also, has anyone ever tried to apply any type of glue to the lace first, then attach to scalp?
02-26-2009, 12:46 PM,
Re: Tape on Lace
ftwguy Wrote:Think this is unique problem but I can't seem to get ST30 tape to work very well on all lace full cap. Doesn't seem to want to stick to lace very well, but really sticks to scalp well. Brand new lace unit so wondering if there is some type of coating on the lace that rejects the tape from holding well. Also, has anyone ever tried to apply any type of glue to the lace first, then attach to scalp?

You did wash the unit, very well, after you got it, before you wore it the first time, didn't you ?

At any rate, the lace has to be very clean for much of anything to stick to it.

Smile
Fred
02-27-2009, 11:33 AM,
for the short version of what fred said...make sure its clean.
02-27-2009, 02:33 PM,
Yep guys, it was washed 3 times before wearing it. I taped it all around but tape still lifts alot from the lace yet sticks well to the scalp. Wore it 2 days and even when I removed it, it detached from the lace very easily and 95% of tape was stuck firm to the scalp. Very strange. I'd really like to use glue with it, but haven't come up with a way to get the glue line accurate on the scalp...either glue line is too short or too long in spots especially on the nape. That's why I was wondering if any of the glues can go directly on the lace first for attachment.
02-28-2009, 10:12 AM,
I have that same problem with my lace, but I assumed it was because I was most likely overusing non-frizz products that contain dimethicone . . . you know, like "Frizz-Ease" and what not. I've had luck using a bit of alcohol on the lace shortly prior to appling the tape, but it creates a catch twenty-two since the alcohol will ultimately dry out your lace and hair.
02-28-2009, 11:24 AM,
I have found that this is common with french lace.

I would guess that it has to do with the larger hole pattern (less surface area for the tape to grab) and the fact that it is made of nylon which in and of itself makes it resist sticking.

I'll bet the factories could develop a way to "rough up" the underside of the lace prior to ventilating that would create a surface that isn't quite as smooth that would give the tape something to grab on to. I would even try using a little fine sandpaper on the underside, but with hair tied into it it would be destroyed. Even if you could do that you might end up with a glue buildup problem....

I don't have a problem once the unit is on my head, but it can be tricky to remove the tape backing and keep the tape sticking to the unit as you are attaching if you are applying it to the lace first. One thing you can try is adding a little extra "stick" to the tape by applying some glue to the tape before putting the tape in the unit. That also helps knock down the shine if you do it the right way.
03-01-2009, 06:28 AM,
Hi JRob. I noticed that you suggested the glue on tape trick to me in my thread lamenting my shiny tape problem. Being a glue novice, I'm afraid I'll screw it up if I attempt it before asking you for more specific instructions. Would you mind? I'm sure you've laid them out before, but I've looked and come up empty.
03-01-2009, 08:50 AM,
Hey Lawyer,

All you have to do is use any white glue and smear a couple of coats on the tape. I have used everything from Basebond which is very thin, to cream glue which is very thick. Any of them will work you just have to get the hang of "smearing" the glue into the tape. The only real trick to it is to continue rubbing the second coat until it starts to dry a little bit. As soon as you start to feel your finger slow down from the glue drying that's when it will knock the shine off. Keep your finger on the tape as you are rubbing, because if you lift it up and put it back down most of the time you will stick to the tape. When you are done rub your finger on a piece of cloth and use a dry finger from your other hand to rub and peel the glue off of the application finger.

I'm in Orlando. Looks like you're pretty close. Shoot me an email and we'll trade notes.

<!-- e --><a href="mailto:[email protected]">[email protected]</a><!-- e -->