Hello There, Guest! Register

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Can I wear without my family knowing?
03-04-2009, 10:51 PM,
Can I wear without my family knowing?
OK, so I'm much younger than most of you guys, and I still live at home with my mum, dad, and younger brother. What I need to know is, will I be able to wear without them knowing? I've been trying to tell my parents for over a year now that I'm losing my hair, but no matter what I say they just won't listen. I have absolutely no idea how they would react if they found out I was wearing hair, and I'd prefer to keep it that way. It wouldn't matter as much if my younger brother knew, but again I'd rather keep it to myself, it's just easier, less embarrassing and then there's no chance of him letting it slip to anyone. I'm hoping to get a full cap that looks something like this:

http://i44.tinypic.com/dpai34.jpg

A few questions:
- How often will I need to take it off, wash it and re-attach?
- When I'm washing it, how long will the piece have to be off my head for?
- Will I always need to have a spare piece handy, or will I only have to get one when I've been using my current one for a little while?
- When I get my piece, since it will be a full cap will I still need to go to a hairdresser and get it cut in? Or can I just attach it straight away?
03-05-2009, 01:29 AM,
Re: Can I wear without my family knowing?
Sean,

I feel your pain. My hair started receding at 18, I was desparate. I got transplants at 20, and that was a disaster.

My best advice is you HAVE to get someone in your family to listen to you. Tell them what you are thinking of doing and get them to help you with it. At your young age, you don't want to start an entire life hiding this from people you care about. It would be easier on you if you had some help with this. Ihope there is at least on person in your family that you can get on your side, maybe your mother?
03-05-2009, 01:55 AM,
If you're parents have that kind of attitude, then they definitely wouldn't notice you wearing a system. And it might be easier and less pain if you just went a did it yourself, and then maybe tell them after you have done it (they might scare you and discourage you from getting a system beforehand) especially if you have good results to show them and prove to them it works well.

- How often will I need to take it off, wash it and re-attach?

Once per week

- When I'm washing it, how long will the piece have to be off my head for?

Do you have your own room? If so, then it makes some things a little easier.

You could take it off before bed, get in the shower and wash the head and system, then wear a baseball cap incase anyone sees you for the remainder of the night. You don't need to take off the baseball cap (or beanie if it's a full cap) until the lights go out. In the morning get up before the other, get into the bathroom and attach (30 mins). If you have your own room you could do this in the room and that makes it even easier!

- Will I always need to have a spare piece handy, or will I only have to get one when I've been using my current one for a little while?

I only had one piece for like 5 months, so it can be done. But it's not recommended because they fade, so order two just incase.

- When I get my piece, since it will be a full cap will I still need to go to a hairdresser and get it cut in? Or can I just attach it straight away?

Yes, you need to get a full haircut. But you could attach it yourself, wear a cap (again) to the hairdresser, then get them to cut all those long hairs.

To be honest, with the style you are going for attaching will be easy. You are not exposing hairline and that makes a big difference. Just get the fullcap fitten on your head properly, get a firm attachment, and it's doesn't have to be 100% perfect.

You can do it Smile It's all trial and error.
03-05-2009, 02:58 AM,
I recommend you take photos of your particular hair loss and email it to BA or post in on the forum for advice before you order anything. It may possibly save you a lot of time and heartache.

Trust me, do it.

Sam
03-05-2009, 04:09 AM,
sean

how old are you ? are you in the us or uk
03-05-2009, 04:47 AM,
oh ok i see your 17 . im with sam send some photos to ba or post them on here . my be you dont need a full cap
03-06-2009, 01:52 PM,
Yeah, I agree with sesster. you say that your parents don't believe that you are losing your hair....if you are thinning enough to order a full cap, it would be very obvious. Perhaps they are just brushing it off because they love you just the way you are and don't think you need to be worried about your hair.....and , as a parent...that is how we are with our kids. don't be too hard on them, they think you are perfect just as you are. I think what you need to do is sit down and make them understand that the hairloss is truly bothering you, that you are not just being silly, it is REALLY becoming a problem that is bothering you to a point where you want to do something about it.
I honestly think your parents just don't understand how this is effecting you. I have many young men that come to my salon and I know how it truly effects their lives....but I think you need to explain that to your parents, they just don't understand what you are going through , once they have more of an understanding...they will be more apt to help you find a solution, ok?
DebbieS.
03-06-2009, 11:19 PM,
Hairagain: I can see where you're coming from, but honestly, I've tried so many times to tell them. it never works and I always end up wishing I hadn't said anything in the first place. They always say, "Stop being so stupid, your hair looks fine" or "Your hair looks the same as it always did" or something like that. But I know my hair is nowhere near the same as it was. I think it's time to give up trying to convince them and just take matters into my own hands.

Mr Burns: Thanks for the advice, and yeah I do have my own room so it should be fairly easy to do what you suggested.

Jake: I'm in Australia. And I definitely need a full cap because my hair is thinning out severely all over my head. It's not just in a particular area, it's literally all over, and there is no clear pattern to it. So anything less than a full cap would be useless to me.

Sester & DebbieS: The only reason it's not obvious to my parents that my hair is thinning is because I have to put huge amounts of paste and hair spray in there every morning just to make it look halfway decent. I wear concealer a lot of the time too. I honestly think that what I have to do with my hair now is just as difficult as what I would have to do while wearing a piece, and a piece would look and feel so much better. As far as my parents not understanding how it's affecting me, well that sounds about right. I'm sure if they could even begin to understand what I'm going through, they would help me straight away. But they won't listen, I've already tried so many times to explain to them. They just don't get it. I'm old enough to make my own decisions so if they're not going to help me do something about it then I'll just have to do it by myself.
03-07-2009, 12:29 AM,
Sean

You are determinded, and I understand that. I was determined at your age. Pick however you are closest to in you family and show them your hair WITHOUT the paste and concealer. Tell then you you are going to try what you are thinking about trying. If you hair is as thin as you say it is, they will get it. I just feel things will be easier for you if you share this with somebody. Your family may notice a difference when you go from thin hair to a full head of hair and if it makes you feel better, that should not matter. You can do your putting on and taking off in private, that you can keep from them. It's not permanent, and it wont scar you like transplants, you can keep it on or change your mind and go back.
Please let us know what happens.
03-07-2009, 12:58 PM,
By all means, good luck to you. I wish there was a way to get your parents to understand your dilema...having some family support would obviously make things much easier on you.
I wish you the best and let us know if we can help you in any way.
DebbieS.