Hello There, Guest! Register

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
best way to remove glue from SFS/and glu query
03-13-2009, 10:03 PM,
best way to remove glue from SFS/and glu query
Hi All

Ok not been wearing long at all couple of questions to you experienced guys please

I have been using tight grip (white glue), now I have shaven the areas of attachment clean I have then cleaned with 99% alcohol (that stung) then applied scalp protecter (stung again) I have then applied two thin layers of the glue left for 5-10 min and then attached. Ok now the problem I am having is this!

Within a day some of the lace has come away from the scalp by the third I could peel the unit off by hand with minimal effort and throughout all the time I had it on the glue remained tacky?

Do you think this means that the glu is no good for me and perhaps I should try another one (I have basebond and ultra hold also to try)?
Once you get the unit off what is the best way to clean it? (I tried mirror slide but still has loads of glu on is there a better way)?

thanks in advance
03-14-2009, 02:58 AM,
Re: best way to remove glue from SFS/and glu query
I can't get any of the thinner white glues to work for me. I might use a little basebond to touch up, but for the main hold it has to be a strong tape, a cream type white glue, or UH (which I don't use much anymore).

For glue, if you get the proper amount of UH on your scalp and the piece is clean it won't budge.
03-14-2009, 04:41 AM,
thanks jrob any tips other than the mirror slide for removing this glu?
03-14-2009, 05:34 AM,
7thson; tight grip is not a white glue...you may be using super grip white glue or perhaps the new walker safe grip??
if you like the white glues, I would highly recommend walker's new safe grip (if its not what you are using now)white glue...if that doesn't work, you may want to try the ultra hold (not a white glue).
when cleaning glue off your scalp, put some PURE adhesive remover on your scalp and allow it to sit for a few mintures...the glue will be much easier to clean off and your scalp won't be so raw (hence the stinging). the pure if more gentle on yoru skin than the lace release or 99% alcohol.
I hope this helps!!
DebbieS.
03-14-2009, 05:50 AM,
thanks for the tips debbie. yes it is the walker glu I will try the ultra hold next

any tips for getting the glu off the lace? thanks again
03-14-2009, 01:00 PM,
the7thson Wrote:thanks jrob any tips other than the mirror slide for removing this glu?

As a matter of fact I do....

I showed this to a few people at the conventions already, but if you get ahold of stretch wrap that is used to wrap shipping pallets, it works wonders for pulling the glue out of the base. I have some that is super tacky and I use it when the mirror isn't taking all of the glue off or if I don't feel like cleaning the mirror.

Debbie uses bubble wrap. Someone needs to invent a bubble wrap that is made with the tacky pallet wrap plastic. Now THAT would remove some glue!
03-14-2009, 03:07 PM,
Hey jrob...wouldn't that stickey shipping wrap pull the hair out of the lace???? Fill me in....Cheers
03-14-2009, 04:41 PM,
For me, the the problem isn't really to remove the glue from the SFS, but to do it without pulling out hair from the base. Debbie's knot sealer will help in that regard, but I sure wish they could find a way to seal the knots for good without making the front more visible.

Regards
03-15-2009, 08:08 AM,
It doesn't seem to pull any more hair than the mirror slide.

One thing to note on that- I always use a spritz of adhesive remover on the glue. Not too much.....just a light coat, enough to loosen the glue. The added benefit to doing this is that it reduces friction. The glue has less of a chance to "grab" the hair.

I can get 95% of the glue off of a piece with the mirror slide and no adhesive remover, but with a little spray of the remover and a piece of the stretch wrap I can get it even cleaner. You can even do a mirror slide to remove the bulk of the glue then turn the piece upside down on a styro head and wipe the remaining residue off with the plastic wrap.

Incidentally, I brought some not-as-sticky stretch wrap home from work and it worked great.

If you know someone who owns a store or something that receives pallets have them save you the wrapping from a shipment. Then all you have to do is cut off a little as you need it. Best of all it's free.