Hello There, Guest! Register

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
If your serious about hairwearing, some advice.
03-19-2009, 07:32 AM,
Re: If your serious about hairwearing, some advice.
Cut hair with ROBOcut first but leave slightly longer, follow up with scissors, blending scissors or razor comb... so there should be not rough edges.... Thats pretty much what I did yestersday
03-19-2009, 08:53 AM,
hairagain: You are still not reading what I am saying. There are hundreds of highly qualifed hair stylists in every town/city. There's no difference between someone who cuts wigs vs. "real" hair. If you had your own full head of hair back, would you still use the robocutter or would you go to a great stylist and get a great cut? The answer to that is what you should do now with your wig (you have hairagain). I don't know too many guys who have naturally full heads of hair, with great styles, who use the friggin ROBOCUTTERS to cut their own hair. That's a joke.

So, to wrap it up once again:

1. Everyone can find a good hair stylist in their town (unless you live in the middle of the wilderness)

2. You can't do as good a job cutting hair with a robocutter than a good stylist can.

3. There are no advantages to cutting your own hair - unless you're a professional salon stylist yourself. Cutting your own wig is simply a waste of time and effort. In my opinion of course. I have better things to do than obsessing about every strand of hair on my wig. Getting good and efficient at attachments and detachments is time well spent and that's a bit of a learning curve as well.
03-19-2009, 09:17 AM,
"There are no advantages to cutting your own hair - unless you're a professional salon stylist yourself. Cutting your own wig is simply a waste of time and effort"

haha....probably 1 of the most infamous pieces of advice I have seen ever posted on a toplace forum. Just my opinion, of course. I guess the great MB wasted his time making his video.

Unbelievable I tell you.

Toplace is a fantastic source of information on DIY, second to none, however there certainly are some pieces of very, misguided advice.

Sam
03-19-2009, 11:09 AM,
:lol: Sam, you are dead on right with your posts. Sorry notguilty, you are totally clueless as to how to play this game and be happy in the long run.

I cant't stress enough that ANYBODY that really wants to be successful at this owes it to themselves to read to read THE OLD FORUM FROM BACK TO FRONT!!!! AND GET MB"S VIDEO. YOU WILL BE SO FAR AHEAD OF THIS GAME IT"S NOT FUNNY!

If you don't trust me on this, best of luck to ya Wink
03-19-2009, 11:21 AM,
Not Guilty,

I did read all you said and it does have merit. I am sure there are good quality stylists for many BUT!!!! for ME and for MANY of the people that have decided to DIY, a stylist has PROVEN to be a BIG disapointment,. I have had good haircuts that were what they stylist wanted and not what I wanted! Even going to the same person over and over, they have cut in the units differently, I assumed wrongly that they knew what I wanted and told them but it was always different. Sometime is was good and sometimes just OK and at times I hated it. When I do it, it's always what I want! The discussion is that if you can manage to cut your own hair, and you know EXACTLY what you want without communicating it because it's already in your head, then that there is the big benefit! When I have a hairpiece that is 3 moths old and because I KNEW to cut in EXACTLY the syle I wanted but a little longer, I can then trim it AGAIN. I know that blending the back is a skill that someone who cuts natural hair all the time does not know how to do. I can scissor-point cut, razor cut, robo cut or just plain scissor cut my own hair and the piece and I know what to do. WIth a medium hair length like mine, I know I have to cut my sides slightly shorter thent the hairpiece. I know that I have to razor cut around the perimiter of the piece to get a nice blend. I know that in order to remove some bulk from a hairpiece to stay away for the roots and razor comb out the bulk carefully. All the stylist I have ever used cut it too short, cut too close to the base while thining ( leaving a blad spot on a brand new piece), left a blunt line around the perimiter or SOMETHING else I may have forgotten. I get your point but for me and many of us here, we have figured that if we can take the HAIR OFF, stick it on a head form in front of us, we have the advantage of cutting our own hair because if it was growing out of your head, you cant take it off! You are right that guys with a nice head of hair will get it cut because they CAN'T take it off!

I agree that I can problably find someone to do it for me and am glad that some people have done that but at $200 a pop, I am not into the trial and error thing, and I have always been happy with my skill level.
03-19-2009, 02:00 PM,
I''m just about ready to give up. I'm astounded at the lack of understanding here. Maybe I'm just bad at writing, I don't know.

What I would like to know is how many of you who are participating in this discussion (sester, hairagain, that other moron) have gotten your wig cut and styled be a real hair stylist, not a wig stylist? My guess is zero. The numerous complaints you hear about are from wig stylists, who work at "wig salons", or they work from their home cutting-in wigs. The complaints aren't on some of the great artists out there who really know how make hair look great - wig or not. Again, every town/city these people exist.

You don't think a stylist knows how to blend hair? That's a joke. Ask Debbie, it's absolutely a "doodle" as ba says. They blend hair all day long every day of the week. A guy who gets his hair short and then faded up in length? That's like the defacto guys hair style nowadays. C'mon, get real. Can't blend, what a laugh.

And here's another question for your ridiculous premise: if you using robo cutters is better than a real stylist, why don't real stylists just bust out the robo cutter at the fancy salons? lmfao, this conversation is hilarious in its total absudity. Are we really arguing the same thing? Are you REALLY saying robo cutters do a better job than a top end hair stylist?

Regarding the MB video: what on earth are you talking about? Just cuz I don't think you shouldn't use a robo cutter to cut your wig, but let someone else whos capable of cutting hair well do it; that's somehow dismissing MB's entire video? Your reasoning skills are a bit odd. I think MB's video is great, GREAT. Helped more people than I could even imagine. But I simply think you can get a better cut at a semi-fancy to fancy hair salon. And it's only gonna cost you $25-40 (the price of a normal haircut). Some wig shops charge $100 to cut a wig, and they suck!

There's another advantage to this too: More salons that see these great quality pieces will help dimish the stigma of wearing toupees.

If you guys are embarrased to go to a normal salon with your wig on, fine, just admit it and stop making impossibly stupid arguments.
03-19-2009, 02:42 PM,
NotGuilty

I have had a stylist, not a wig stylist....cut and what I wrote in my previous posts are what happened.

The thing is, unless the stylist is perhaps as skilled as Debbie, or some of the others that I am not willing to do the serch and rescue for, I have been able to cut my own hiar BETTER that ANY stylist I have used. When I had my own hair, I had many great haircuts, so I don't know what to tell you has happened since my transisition to fake hair.

I use a robocut for the first cut, then I go back and taper and blend the hiarpice while it is off my head. My own hair I have used various methods depending on the style. I know there are people that would probably be able to give me a great cut but doing this myself saves me time, and the high chance of getting a cut that I would not like. I do have several books on haircutting and did not just dive in with know knowledge or any skill. I have always trimmed my hair when it was real and not that it is "hair again". Maybe I should have been a barber!

I have a new hairpiece right now that I re-cut and am more than pleased with the results, isn't that all that matters?
03-19-2009, 10:56 PM,
NotGuilty Wrote:I''m just about ready to give up. I'm astounded at the lack of understanding here. Maybe I'm just bad at writing, I don't know.

Ok buddy, here is my advice to you: go and find all of my photos. I'm not going to bother posting up links as I've done it before thousands of times, but you can search fro my old posts.

Now how does the cut look, in general?

I started using a RoboCut one year before getting a piece. So it wasn't any "added stress" at all, it was something I already knew how to do.

And another pont; I actually don't trust a hairstylist with my hair. Why? Because when I had my own hair, I would often not get the results I wanted - theyare not consistent. I always thought "I could do it better if I knew how", and now I can do that with the Robo. There is no way I'm going to let a hair stylist butcher one of my pieces, because they don't grow back! When they butchered my hair it was bad enough but at least it looked ok after a week or so.

I'm much happier and feel much more secure and relaxed knowing that I can always get a consistent style, which will always look exactly how I want it to. Adding a stylist to the loop would actually bring me more worry and would add stress to hair wearing for me. At the moment, I'm 100% happy with my hairloss solution and I feel relaxed about every aspect of it.

What more could I want?

I appreciate that everyone is different, but this works for me so maybe consider getting down off your high horse Smile
03-20-2009, 04:22 AM,
Ok,

Here is my take on this situation. I have been wearing for a long time and just now started to do my own attachments. I purchased a Flowbee mainly for privacy and time issue. I wanted to cut my hair when I wanted without having to go to my stylist. In other words why not cut my hair when I have my unit off. I wanted to be totally cabable of doing everything that was done at the club on my own. With the help of this forum I have mastered, removal, cleaning, attachment and basic between system attachment haircuts. Total time is only 40 minutes every two weeks.
The fact is and I was pretty happy that my attachments and haircuts are way better on my own than when I went to a sylist. I would have never believed it until I tried it. I have not cut my piece with the Flowbee but have done a couple of trims on the side and back hair during attachments. Cutting the sides and back does not take rocket science or much artistic talent of a high end stylist. I did find (suprisingly) that the Flowbee did a good job. It is mistake proof as you cannot cut too much hair off or make it uneven. I had my first Toplace unit sent to Debbie to have it cut in. I just received it and it is the best looking hair system I have ever had in all these years of wearing. Since I just attached I will try the system out on the next attachment and if needed I will tweek.
Some internet hair replacements companies send the units pre taped and styled so it probably is not necessary to have someone else syle your hair. But there is nothing wrong with going somewhere to have it done if you are happy. But I can vouch from my experience that my side and back hair do not require a special trip to a stylist.
03-20-2009, 05:24 AM,
Quote:I just received it and it is the best looking hair system I have ever had in all these years of wearing.

Well there ya go, that's what happens when someone who can cut hair cuts your piece. That's why this ridiculous argument that flobees - something seen originally on the HOME SHOPPING NETWORK - are better than a good hair stylist is so laughable.

Burns: I've seen your photos, so what? Yeah it looks fine, but it'd look better if you had it done by a pro. Just a simple fact. But if you're happy with what you can do on your own then more power to you! I dont' care where you guys get your hair cut, I was simply trying to give my advice to someone who might not want to try and tackle hair cutting, and I got a bunch of crap from people saying that cutting it yourself is the BEST way. That's crazy, the best way is to find someone who cuts hair for a living and is good at it. Maybe you guys don't live in an area where there are nice hair salons, ok, then I see your point. I don't know what it's like it rural UK. But I do know that there are a lot of people who wear hair and have very capable people right down the road from them.

You guys talk about it not being rocket science. Well then why do all these people at fancy hair salons get $50+ for a a regular men's haircut? Why aren't they using flobees? Why are there even jobs for stylists if it's so easy? It might be easy to get it looking decent, but I can promise you, and this is based on your photos Burns, that a good stylist could do much better. Not to criticize your hair, I think you did a good job considering you did it YOURSELF, but I think it's pretty shapeless and sort of just there if you know what I mean. In other words, you can tell it's not a pro cut.

I wonder if Elton John uses a flobee?