Hello There, Guest! Register

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
If your serious about hairwearing, some advice.
03-20-2009, 07:51 AM,
Re: If your serious about hairwearing, some advice.
Too much 'line in the sand' ball swinging; I guess that excess testosterone vis a vis hair loss thing is true! :lol:
Like most of life, everbody is right, but in diffrent degrees and circumstances.
Me for example: I went to a pro, got my hair & piece cut, but it didn't look right until my tweeking & products got applied. I also trimmed down my back & sides. And, there's more I have to do on my 2nd piece, which I'll post in another thread. My circumstance required both me and a pro.
Diffrent styles lend themselves verbatim to DIY; others, the exact opposite. Then there's the in between. Again, everybody is right.....just speaking from different Points of view.
03-20-2009, 09:54 AM,
MrNY

That is said best. Nuff said.....
03-20-2009, 10:37 AM,
NotGuilty Wrote:What I would like to know is how many of you who are participating in this discussion (sester, hairagain, that other moron) have gotten your wig cut and styled be a real hair stylist, not a wig stylist? My guess is zero.

First of all, if "that other moron" you are referring to is me and you are grouping me with sester and hairagain, I will take that as a compliment. Smile

I've been a DIY'er for 2 years now. I had a piece cut in by Debbie at the convention in Windsor. Would you classify her as a real hair stylist or a wig stylist? :lol: She did a fantastic job. By having her do a cut in it reinforced my belief that complete DIY is not only possible but fairy easy if you are willing to learn and experiment a little bit.

Go to the library and get a couple books on cutting hair and coloring hair. Learn about angles and elevations and the color wheel. With my Flowbie I was able to figure out the length, angles and elevations she used and can duplicate her cut in. Or I can try a different style or vary lengths. It really ISN"T rocket science.

Color match will ALWAYS be a problem (unless you can afford a new piece every 2 months) because the piece WILL fade. So learn how to color hair.

Differences in hair texture is a problem for some. You may have to get a little creative with with your blending to help hide the differences. Is it textbook? No. But what good is a great textbook cut if it doesn't look right?

Stick with your high level stylist if it makes you happy.

As for me, I'm perfectly happy with the knowledge and confidence this forum has given me over the past 2 years. I never have to go to a salon again.

Thanks again to everyone here, people like you and even morons like me is what makes this the best place to learn. Big Grin

One more time for anyone that will listen -

READ THE OLD FORUM!
03-20-2009, 11:03 AM,
:lol: :lol: :lol: Buckeye!! Classic post, us morons gotta stick together Big Grin

In all seriousness, i couldn't' give a hoot who thinks what or says what about me. I just feel sorry for the newbies who get misguided by some utter rubbish posted sometimes.

Sam
03-20-2009, 11:57 AM,
Here's my .02...

A good home cut is better than a crappy stylist cut, BUT for the style that I desire I wouldn't even begin to be able to cut it myself.

Now full caps are a different beast, and I would highly recommend letting a pro cut them since there is no blending and it's just about the same as real hair. With a topper, if you are able to get the desired result at home, that's probably your best option.

Me? I'm not skilled enough to give myself a textured cut like my stylists are able to give. My current full cap would be a work of art if I didn't have to use relaxer on the sides which flattened the hair and lost some of the realism. Joe spent a good 30 minutes or more with a razor and scissors transforming the piece into something that could be worn on the stage of a rock concert....no lie. There is simply no way other than training and years of practice that someone can pull that off.

Truth of the matter is that I see some guys who look great with a home cut, but if they had a good stylist they could probably look even better. That's a big IF though, since I know how hard it is to find a good stylist. I'm pretty lucky in that I know a good dozen stylists so I never have to worry about that.

I'm stopping in Philly on the way back from the UK convention to meet up with Dino and hopefully we are going to get it set up to get him a full cap cut in by a stylist. he's one of those guys who has been cutting his hair for years and with his more traditional hairstyle he is always able to do a great job, but he's like me and looks younger than he is so I think he would look amazing with a little flair added to his cut. Hopefully he doesn't chicken out :mrgreen:
03-23-2009, 08:14 AM,
So you are a Moron if you dont go to a stylist :lol: Give your head a wobble mate, Take it from me and others who have been wearing over 25 years, I have been to every Tom Dick and Harry and found very few who can cut my hair and piece how I like it, If you can find a good one and are happy with him/her well good for you, But a lot of people have not found a good one and cut them in themselves as surely they know how they want THEIR hair cut and styled better than any stylist, Theres a case for both sides and only a moron would say otherwise, Oh hang on Wink