Hello There, Guest! Register

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Coloring the hair system
03-28-2009, 08:59 AM,
Coloring the hair system
I have read somewhere that they recommend mixing water with the hair coloring solution, developer etc. and then dipping your hair system into it. Does anyone else do this method? Or do you guys recommend just combing the color through the hair?
03-28-2009, 10:47 AM,
Re: Coloring the hair system
Yeah, I've read that too. I also know where you've read it. I find it funny that nobody has posted that they have tried it and how it worked for them. :lol: To me it sounds like you would end up with one solid color and a stained base.

What I like to do when I color is put the piece upside down on a styro head and comb the color through back hair, then the sides and wait 10 -15 min. After that I comb the color through the top and front and wait 5 min. This way i end up with the darkest color undeneath and on the ends and a little lighter on the top and sides. Kinda like a real head of hair. Wink

It may take some trial and error to find the right color to use and to get the timing right, but I have found that if I use 10 volume developer I can go darker multiple times without damage to the hair. Of course once I found the right color its been a (is it doddle or doodle?).
03-28-2009, 01:39 PM,
I just used the clairol nice and easy dark brown think its #120. I pinned the system on a styro head and just combed the mixture t hru all of the hair the best i could. The ends were tough. My hair system is only once inch long. I think i left it on 10 mins. and rinsed it. I think its slightly too dark, but once i attached it and styled it, its not too bad. I have no idea what kind of developer they use. it was two bottles that i mixed together.
03-28-2009, 03:33 PM,
I wouldn't recommend mixing water with the color mixture.

If it was Clairol color, I'm guessing you used a 20 volume developer.
03-29-2009, 06:21 AM,
I honestly have no idea what kind of developer it was. Im not that keen on hair coloring, this was the first time I have done it. It came out slightly too dark. I think I need to go down a shade lighter. I just used this nice n easy brand because i remember it used to be recommended on here. Is 20 developer too high? I know your great with hair coloring. do you have any suggestions? I have two systems left that still need coloring.
03-29-2009, 06:39 AM,
Xeon005 Wrote:Im not that keen on hair coloring, this was the first time I have done it. It came out slightly too dark. I think I need to go down a shade lighter.

If the color is right but the shade is a bit off I would think that you could just rinse it a bit sooner to make it come out lighter??? I did this one time and it worked great.
03-29-2009, 09:00 AM,
yeah i was thinking that as well. I left it on for like 10 minutes. I think i might try the medium brown. i heard people go a shade lighter. Do you think medium brown is one shade below dark brown? Or are there different variations of dark brown. See I have no clue about color rofl.
03-29-2009, 10:27 AM,
Xeon...if and when I have to color I usually go one or two shades lighter...and keep it on for about ten minutes...I really don't have a problem...However and I think you know this...that going lighter takes some extra steps. If it is too dark try washing it a few times...it should even out somewhat.Cheers
03-29-2009, 11:16 AM,
Your best bet is to go a few levels lighter than what your intended result will be.

Reason being, alot of box colors will darken the longer you leave it on. You want a brown result, but if you leave it on for any length of time over the recommended minutes, you will get something closer to black. So keep that in mind. Time is very important. You're better off having it too light and having to color it again than having it turn out too dark.
03-29-2009, 07:04 PM,
great points. I will keep that in mind. I did only 10 mins with this dark brown. It is def passable for now. Perhaps slightly too dark under scrutiny. So i will try to go down to medium brown for 10 mins on my next coloring.. see how that plans out.

as far as the brand/ type of color. Do you guys have any recommendations, or does it even matter?