Hello There, Guest! Register

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Certain Hairstyles...
05-12-2014, 11:33 PM,
RE: Certain Hairstyles...
Perfect technique means getting the glue coverage to exactly match the area of the piece, and getting the piece to sit on that area flat, without any wrinkles. All-lace pieces are floppy and a bit stretchy, and you have a limited time to get the base into exactly the right spot before it becomes stuck, so that is easier said than done. It's not too hard to get it looking pretty decent, but to get it absolutely perfect requires a bit of luck. I only get a perfect hairline about every third application. However, that works fine because my hair is brushed sideways from a soft parting, so only about an inch of hairline is fully exposed, and the rest is slightly shaded. Good enough for a windy day or a roving hand.

Getting a lace hairpiece to look good is a micro task. It's misdirection, like a magician's trick. You've got mesh glued to your head with hairs knotted to it, but nobody notices them because they don't know where to look or what to look for. Small things, like the way a particular lock of hair lies, are important to achieving a natural look. You would be amazed when you start wearing how much attention you will pay to those small things. One of the factors in getting the mesh to disappear is to create little shadows from the hair above which confuse the eye. Even if by chance a strand of mesh is visible, there are too many other hairs and shadows of hairs for the brain to register it. Obviously if you scrape all your hair back, you have minimised the possibility of any misdirection - now the punters are looking straight at your fake hollow thumb with the silk scarf in it.

If I had a slicked-back style under the office fluorescent lighting, I would be checking it 3 or 4 times a day. At night time under lower lighting (which is the condition in which I would usually use this style) I would be more relaxed.

Not telling you not to go for this style if it is dear to your heart, but just be aware that it is harder to get right. It would make a big difference if you have a significant other who will help you put the piece on.

Messages In This Thread
Certain Hairstyles... - NoHairNoFair - 05-12-2014, 04:18 PM
RE: Certain Hairstyles... - Baldrich - 05-12-2014, 05:51 PM
RE: Certain Hairstyles... - NoHairNoFair - 05-12-2014, 06:45 PM
RE: Certain Hairstyles... - Oldwearer - 05-12-2014, 07:43 PM
RE: Certain Hairstyles... - NoHairNoFair - 05-12-2014, 08:06 PM
RE: Certain Hairstyles... - Oldwearer - 05-12-2014, 10:05 PM
RE: Certain Hairstyles... - Baldrich - 05-12-2014, 11:33 PM
RE: Certain Hairstyles... - SilverStreak - 05-13-2014, 12:08 PM