Hello There, Guest! Register

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
So many anti-wig people on forums
10-05-2011, 10:52 PM,
RE: So many anti-wig people on forums
(10-05-2011, 09:07 PM)fate Wrote: I've also noticed on hairloss forums, and particularly posts from transplant surgeons (that can sort of be expected) that they put down hair peices for some reason. In a way I'm kind of happy about the perception - it draws attention away from what illusion we try to pull off, but at the same time I'm unhappy that so many suffering hairloss don't see it as an option.

I don't see hair transplants as an option. Its a large upfront cost.. but who knows how far your hairloss will progress? Then its worthless, a total waste of money.. unless you transplant again - more money. The surgeons say about ongoing costs with hair peices, but what I see is

- Instant solution to a problem that can emotionally affect men/women
- Ability to don hairstyles you'd never get with a transplant
- A more managable financial contribution to hairloss

..I'm 24 and a student, theres no way I can afford a HT. I can afford a hairpeice though, and I can bet that my hair is going to look great - or at the very least least better than it would be with a hair transplant.

Yes I suppose its a natural thing for HT doc's to be anti wig, although having said that I had a similiar discussion on another hairloss website and a HT doc actually stated that a HT is the last resort which I thought was a much more balanced way of looking at it.

Most doc's are balanced in their view and understand having (lets face it) non essential surgery is a huge decision and shouldnt be taken lightly. And most HT patients have a similar view. But unfortunatly there are those who seem to take pride in knocking wigs.

Most people will understand that its an individual choice, some wouldnt dream of wearing a wig and others couldnt face a hair transplant.

My problem was continually looking at ht pictures and looking in awe at them thinking that could be me, unless you have booked your ht then its probably an unhealthy thing to do. Plus you only tend to look and think about the great results and forget the poor ones. Plus I'm sure a lot who recieve poor results wouldnt post their pictures anyway so you can get an unbalanced view of results.

I guess I am in a similiar position to a previous poster who had HT's. I cant help but wonder what my results might be, if they werent good well at least I tried and I agree with him at least he knows hes done everything he can and tried all options, I havent so I still have that nagging thought in my head.

At least if I do start wearing my hairline piece I am doing something positive and I wont have to look back in 5 years (if I hadnt had a HT by then) and think 'thats another 5 years with crappy hair', because the chances are even if I had a good HT the results would be similar to my hair piece anyway.

Messages In This Thread
RE: So many anti-wig people on forums - standbyme - 10-05-2011, 10:52 PM