Hello There, Guest! Register

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Ditching AHS - Need Input From You Guys (photo)
05-14-2010, 12:47 PM,
RE: Ditching AHS - Need Input From You Guys
I was with Apollo for too many years, and just within the last 2 years broke loose and went DIY. I too handled my own maintenance until I ordered hair online. It was scary; I didn't think it was possible to get good hair by ordering off the net, but you can. I will share a bit of my experience.

First used HairDirect, mostly due to their marketing and website. Ordered some supplies from them, talked to the "hairtechs", then sent off for a kit. Ordered hair, it came in 7 weeks, and it looked super, best unit I had in years. It cost $500, but after paying over a grand at Apollo, it seemed cheap. Even came "cut in", ready to wear, in a nice box. But the cut was not quite to my liking , so sent it back in to have the hairtechs re-cut it. Came back looking good. Put it on, and I'm wearing it until it is retired this weekend. Sounds great, right? Now for the bad side.

Reordered from HairDirect July 09, same specs as before, and 12 weeks later, my hair came in too dark(no gray, I'm in my 50s), and too short. Returned it, explained what was wrong, HD said,"No problem, we'll remake for free." Even sent in an old unit for the cut. Came back 8 weeks later, same too dark color, but at least it wasn't too short. This time, I contacted the Boss HairTech, but that didn't go anywhere. HD sent me a hair ring at my request, and I re-speced my color according to what they had sent ( see HD does not look at the units before sending them out, so they have no idea if it is per order of not), and reordered again. Waited 8 weeks, no hair, called to find out what was going on, was told my new unit was sent back into production due to quality problems. I cancelled the order in March 10, ordered from Toplace.

This time, I had learned that the closer the hair is to a stock unit in size and color, the more likely success, and ordered from John at Toplace accordingly. My hair came in 6 weeks, looks great, at $300 less, BUT, I have to trim the lace and cut it. Very scary for a newbie, especially the cut, as I don't have a stylist. However, I ordered some barber thinning shears from Amazon for less than $10, and they work great.

There are pitfalls with online hair, as I found out. Proceed with appropiate caution, and all will most likely be well. But have a plan B, just in case.

Messages In This Thread
RE: Ditching AHS - Need Input From You Guys - mcnash - 05-14-2010, 12:47 PM