Hello There, Guest! Register

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Is lace visible without full head bond?
11-20-2011, 11:10 AM,
RE: Is lace visible without full head bond?
(11-20-2011, 07:43 AM)Hair Scare Wrote: Thanks! Thats really encouraging actually. To be honest, and I'm not entirely sure why, but I am more scared of getting the crown area right than even the front hairline. (possibly because I can easily see if my hairline looks bad but will have more trouble detecting if the crown is out of whack). But glad that the lace dissapears well even without glue or tape.

You're welcome ! It seems to me that much of the effort in improving hair pieces has been in the hairlines, so they are pretty good these days ... I, and others, do have problems w/ the crown sometimes. In my case, from my source (which is a salon/contract deal ... sucks), they are often too far forward to my eye. In theory, with a freestyle piece, one should be able to train the hair, crown, etc. in any direction ... but I've not had much success w/ that. But I haven't tried that hard either ... I've seen a video by Debbie where she uses a hair dryer on low heat and constant, gentle brushing to train hair in a desire direction ... FWIW.

This brings up another thought I've had on the subject ... and that is sometimes things might look a bit "off" TO US, because it looks different than our hair used to ... we're comparing to that standard, but others don't notice this discrepancy. Even someone who knows us, doesn't remember where our crown was, or what our hair used to look like ... IOW, this is just another worry that's mostly in our heads.

(11-20-2011, 07:43 AM)Hair Scare Wrote: I am also terrified of the color match and density blending, but I can't do much about that until my first piece arrives. So question for you, I am also blonde, have you found blending or individual fiber thickness to be more difficult? Some have expresses blonde can be tougher to work with in that regard but better in the case of knot color. Anything you've had to be more cautious about with blonde?

I agree w/ your assessment about the trade off ... blonde hair may reflect light in such a way that the blend point could be a bit more noticeable, but knots are less of a problem. The blending issue is just my opinion, based on what I've worn (not TL pieces) and I posted it in another thread on the subject ... based on a hair stylist telling me that blonde hair showed layers more.

For me, the biggest issue w/ blending isn't color mismatches, or even density (though this needs to be paid attention to) ... it is differences in texture. I have very fine hair, the strands are thin, and most of the pieces I get have thicker textured hair than my own. I'm not sure if it's just my source, or if I'll always deal w/ this inconsistency ordering from John or elsewhere ... really looking forward to trying some TL pieces, though.

But there are many tips and tricks to deal w/ this stuff:

* Back2Natural color depositing conditioner can help w/ slight color differences, without all the worries over chemicals, damage, etc ... and there are 2 blonde shades, I believe.

* Many use dyes to correct color mismatches/oxidation/fading ... or they might color the piece and their own hair to even everything out.

* Razor combs and thinning shears can help w/ the blend point, but I haven't developed much skill w/ these ... I'm never sure if cutting into the hair will give me the result I want.

* Biggest tools on a daily basis are hair products. Paul Mitchell WaxWorks is very popular here. I use it ... it puts texture into the hair, making it more uniform between the piece and growing hair ... it also does something to the color, deepening and enriching it, helping the blend. I sometimes go for a more wet look w/ spray gel to disguise any differences ... so this darkens everything and unifies texture. Pomaide is less crunchy, somewhat wet look, and helps make an overly thick density, or thick texture look thinner (helps keep softness as well).

I'm still always experimenting w/ stuff ... Our esteemed colleague Paul, and others, likes Brylcream as a Pomaide, and to restore softness ... though anything w/ mineral oils can weaken the bond a bit ... just have to try to use a little, and avoid the base.

Hope all this helps ... sorry for the novel Wink

FB

Messages In This Thread
RE: Is lace visible without full head bond? - furball - 11-20-2011, 11:10 AM