Hello There, Guest! Register

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
ThinSkin System With Pics
01-26-2014, 11:33 AM,
ThinSkin System With Pics
I promised to post some pictures of my thin skin (3mil thick system) in another post, but thought it would get more exposure if I started a new thread. To summarize my experience...I used to wear lace for several years but was not completely satisfied with the look especially of the hairline which I expose with a combed back style. I didn't like the matrix of the base visible at certain angles and lighting conditions. And of course as many of you have discovered the cleanup is quite an ordeal. Well, I have since discovered thin skin units 3 months ago and so far the improvement has been nothing short of amazing for me.

With skin I get a very clean matrix-free, natural looking hairline. No line at the edge, no shine, and no lifting despite a fully exposed hairline. And no knots that have to be dyed...hurrah! I use the G2B hair gel for attachment and detach daily or sometimes after 2-3 days. It's so easy to apply. No multiple layers and drying time between layers like other glues. Just put it on with a finger and attach immediately. It dries to a firm hold in five minutes for me. The cleanup compared to lace is superior with G2B; just peel off carefully, turn upside down and rinse with water and rub gently with your finger. You don't even have to get the hair wet. Let it dry and you're ready for reattachment. And the G2B is much cheaper than other glues... a huge tube for 5-6 dollars that will last forever compared to the 1-2 ounce bottles of glues costing as much or much more. Now G2B is only water resistant and may not work well if you're going to submerge your head swimming, I will say it worked for me during strenuous sweating, while installing a wall in my house. Also I can add that though I was sweating, I didn't feel excessively warm, a criticism leveled at skin units.

Of course nothing is perfect and skin is no exception. Having had my unit for 3 months I have accidentally torn it twice at the edge. It is fragile. Remember these units are very thin, like saran wrap. Repair was very easy though... just tape the rip carefully making sure the edges are in place and you're good to go; it's virtually as good as new.

I purchased my thin skin from another vendor, not TopLace, buying a stock system and receiving it in less than a week. The unit was light-medium density, but was still a bit too dense for me as I'm a fifty-something dude. So I plucked out hairs with a tweezer until I got it to where it was a reasonable density for me.

Anyway, here's some pics...

Close up.

Another.

And another.

Attached Files Image(s)

01-27-2014, 07:11 AM,
RE: ThinSkin System With Pics
I have a uts (Ultra Thin Skin 0,03mm) unit with a blond front. So I dyed it today with a comb and it was really easy not staining the skin. I actually got some on the skin but it came of easily (dark brown color). I have now dyed it and haven´t worn it yet (I´m a lace-wearer at the moment) but OMG. The only hurdle I had with thin skin was the colored hairs goingen down between the layers in the loop. That is now gone and it looks f*** amazing. holy shit I can´t wait. It blew my mind and I haven´t even worn it yet. If this turns out the way I hope I´ll share it in this thread.
01-27-2014, 08:57 AM,
Hey Jorn. Glad to hear you haven't given up on your thin skin unit. Looking forward to seeing your results. BTW I also noticed that color doesn't stain the skin base like lace bases. I got some color on my base as well when I darkened my hair a bit and as you said no staining.
01-27-2014, 11:28 PM,
Can you wash your hair under the shower when wearing a skin unit attached with G2B gel? Then only change the gel every third day, but wash the hair every day?

Somebody mentioned there is now an even stronger G2B.

I really want to try a skin unit.
01-28-2014, 03:08 AM,
I typically remove my unit every evening, but when I have kept it on for several days I have showered around my topper to clean my hair on the sides and back. I still got the unit wet on the side and back edges and it staid put.

On a related note I have even experimented with reactivating the gel attachment after removing my system after a day of wearing it. The next day I just sprayed a little water on the underside of the unit that had the old gel adhesive still on it and attached to my scalp. It was still able to give me a another day's hold with just a bit of added gel to the hairline area.

That is me that mentioned the stronger version, it's what I'm bonding with now. It's called "Got2B ultra glued".
01-28-2014, 06:18 AM,
Hairapparent,

Thank you! What do you notice different with the stronger gel?

I have to wash my own hair every day unfortunately as it gets very oily and is then darker than my unit.
01-28-2014, 07:50 AM,
I have not used the regular gel only the stronger one, so I can't really compare them.
01-28-2014, 07:11 PM,
Hi Hairapparent. Whats the density on your current system? I got one with - I think it was extra light - however I see a lot of shine. Have not attached it yet but will try soon. Maybe extra light isn´t suitable for ultra thin skin? What´s your remarks to that?

best.
01-28-2014, 09:06 PM,
I don´t think I´ll wear the thin skin (uts) for the front as it is too shiny and the edge to visible compared to lace, which dosen´t shine and blend in more naturally. I have not attached the uts but when I put my finger beneath but system it is obvisous which is the superior one.

However thin skin (uts) looks amazing when ordered blond and colored so I´m thinking of a lace front and uts on the rest or maybe silk top on the rest. My worries however are how the transition between the two different fabrics will effect the look and how far back I should place the transition? I wear a light density. Maybe 2 inches back perhaps?
01-28-2014, 09:54 PM,
My UTS has a cloudy white appearance until the glue is applied and its attached, then it becomes 100% transparent.
Even wetting the underside with some water might show you the difference.
The only time I got visible shine was when I used the clear Davlyn glue to attach.
The white glues dry matt and (for me) don't shine.