Hello There, Guest! Register

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Alcohol (propanyl alcohol) for adhesive-reduction
08-07-2013, 03:09 AM,
Alcohol (propanyl alcohol) for adhesive-reduction
Hi, so question is, that I don´t really wanna buy some expensive "adhesive remover", when I can go down to my local farmecy and get some cheap propanyl alcohol. Question is what percentage such alcohol should have. The one offering is 35 %?? the purpose is to get the adhesive to a temperary non-adherent state when attaching my unit, and also for removal of the unit.

Any suggestions on this one? Don´t wanna buy some expensive hair direct stuff and pay extra for the added lemon flavour. Don´t need lemon, need removal.
08-07-2013, 04:52 AM,
RE: Alcohol (propanyl alcohol) for adhesive-reduction
I use 92% because thats what I can readily get cheaply.
But people say that 99% is MUCH better.

I don't think 35% is going to do the trick.
08-07-2013, 05:30 AM,
I`m no expert in ` percentages`...... I tried Surgical spirit before---- no use for breaking -down the residue on the lace or scalp.....it was ok-ish for de-bonding the lace but that was about it..... I now just use it to wipe my scalp with a cotton- pad before bonding to remove oils [even after shampooing in the shower, scalp can still have oils in the pores] ....the surgical spirit makes the skin squeaky-clean and ready for tape / glue. The best thing to release your system from glue/tape is `Lace-release` and then use a glue -melter such as ` Pure` [alcohol-based] or a citrus-based solvent such as C-22, or Desolvit, to remove residues on the scalp and / or lace / poly.
Citrus solvent must be shampooed out of lace otherwise it will interfere with your new bond, whereas ` Pure` will evaporate off, therefore does not need shampooing-out.
08-07-2013, 05:40 AM,
So 99 % wont damage my scalp nor the system?
08-07-2013, 05:47 AM,
Alcohol won`t damage your skin..might sting a bit if you have an already-irritated scalp or scratches, otherwise no. I like to keep it off the hair as much as I can [because alcohol can be ` drying` on the hair] by using a dropper such as is used to put drops into the ears or eyes...that way, you can get your lace release literally onto the lace immediately above the adhesive in a more accurate / targeted manner....yes it`ll get onto the knots, but that can`t be avoided.
08-07-2013, 08:05 PM,
99% alcohol user here.great tool in a wearers toolkit
Just to be sure of a squeaky dry scalp I might light wash with hand soap if im not happy with
Alcohol.
Remember wash you're hands
As during clean up you dont want to be testing the dryness of you're scalp and transferring
Broken down goo from you're fingers back to you're scalp
If in doubt clean you're scalp again
Hell of a lot quicker than a clean up after a failed bond
08-08-2013, 12:14 AM,
There's a theory (not mine!) that using alcohol on the skin to cut through & clean off oils actually then causes to skin to over produce more oils to moisten the dried out area.

You can't win really!
08-08-2013, 12:30 AM,
Or as my hairdresser state's
Vigorous rubbing of the scalp will produce along with bleeding,
Plasma and you'll never get a bond till that area heals
Not crucial unless its the hairline.
But still undesirable.