Hello There, Guest! Register

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 2 Average
Finally making the break to DIY from rip off salons.....Advice Needed :-)
03-12-2012, 10:23 AM,
Finally making the break to DIY from rip off salons.....Advice Needed :-)
Hi guys,

Im finally making the break from being a hair salon customer to DIY maintanance. I was hoping some people who have gone down this road previously could give me some advice.

For the past number of months I have been trying to do the removal and re attachment of my hair (up until now a topper but shortly transitioning to a full cap). However when I reattch using the glue and tape, I never seem to get a proper fit like I do in the salon. It can lift sometimes as early as that day.

I shampoo the hair and base with the recommended shampoo, then condition the hair doing the same and shampoo one last time. For my own hair/scalp I apply some glue melter and comb out the glue. I then shampoo and wash my own hair/scalp, throughly rinsing atleast twice.

Using a hair dryer, I dry my own hair/scalp and apply a layer of glue, before using the hair dryer on the underside of the membrane. I apply tape to the membrane perimiters and wait for the glue to seep into my own scalp (normally about 10-15 minutes) and then attach.

Whilst it holds initially, withing a couple of days it becomes noticable and lifts a lot if I play any kind of sports. Is there some trick I am missing here that Salons do behind the scenes?

As a final question(Getting my moneys worth here lol) I have trouble with clumps of glue in the hair and on the edges of the membrane at the roots. Is there something apart from Glue Melter that I can use to get rid of these?

Also what products, does a first time self maintanace guy need to have?

Thanks Guys, I know its a really long one but any help is greatly appreciated.
03-13-2012, 10:10 AM,
RE: Finally making the break to DIY from rip off salons.....Advice Needed :-)
You can try to find out what kind of glue or bonding agent the salon was using and just see if you can get it yourself. They probably use some hard bond or some super bond stuff. What glue are you using now? Perhaps you just need to experiment more and try different adhesives till you find something that works best for you. Blue lace tape is very strong and should stand up to almost anything.
03-18-2012, 10:36 PM,
RE: Finally making the break to DIY from rip off salons.....Advice Needed :-)
Make sure you are bonding to skin not hair, if there is hair under it, it will lift. I use "Blue Liner Lace Front Support Tape Roll" all over and it works for 2 weeks without lift. Only time I had issue was my system was slightly off and over lapping my hair, the tape willnot stay stuck if hair is under it.

Hope this helps.