Hello There, Guest! Register

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
ThinSkin and Sweating/Long-term wear.
05-21-2009, 04:01 AM,
ThinSkin and Sweating/Long-term wear.
Hi there everyone.

I'm a musician. I'm on tour for a month or more at a time, and there's often very little room for me to do daily/weekly maintenance (ie. taking a piece off and washing it and the scalp). For that reason, I had decided to do a thinskin base, something I could do a more long term 3-4 week hold with.

I know there are naysayers that say you can't do this without scalp odor/health issues. But there are firms like Virtual Reality, Transitions, and others, that seem to have great success with this long-term bond method. I've even met a few people that say it's really no big deal, and that the concerns about odor and sweat are overblown.

That said, I have read it the other way too. And before I go into this whole world of things, I need to know if a guy like me can manage. It's a catch 22, because a stage performer needs to look *great*, all the time, and my hair is thinning out in a nasty way. But with that said, I'm also on a stage 15 times or more a month, and each time, I sweat like mad. I'm concerned that the sweat will cause problems over the course of a 3-4 week bond.

What I really want to hear is from people that have chosen this route: thinskin, with a 3-4 week bond (ie. not taking it off at all, and going in for monthly cut-ins and scalp treatments). It's really the only method that would work for me considering my on-the-road schedule.

Has anyone made this work? How much do you sweat/exercise?

Thanks.
05-21-2009, 06:22 AM,
Re: ThinSkin and Sweating/Long-term wear.
As an add on, I just spoke with another singer who also wears a Virtual Reality piece (which is a really really thin thinskin), and keeps it on for 3 weeks, and has never had a problem with odor or health issues, or loosening.

Anyone have any comments on this?
05-22-2009, 05:31 AM,
Well to me personally, I think it is pretty disgusting and very unsanitary to wear a skin piece for that long. I would not even like to wear lace that long. The material is not porous, meaning air and water do not escape. So all the sweat and bacteria is going to be trapped there for weeks. I am not really sure how anyone can wear a skin unit that long and say they have no problems. I have very dry scalp and do not sweat all that much, and I even think i would have a problem after all that time. Its like taking saran wrap and wraping it around ur scalp and leaving it there for weeks lol
05-22-2009, 05:43 AM,
Hey Xeon, thanks for the reply. Have you ever tried it though?
I mean, that's what people say, and I've certainly read it a few times already.
But these firms have many clients, many of whom I have spoken to about it, and they claim it's really no big deal.
So I guess I'm just at a loss... who is right?
05-23-2009, 06:14 AM,
I have a thin skin system, and I would not wear it more than four days. Just think about it for two seconds. Your scalp is full of sweat glands. If your outside on a hot day, you are going to sweat right? Now just look at the thin skin material. It is non porous, air nor water can get inside. That plastic is going to be firmly on your head, ur scalp will not breath. Now maybe for those in these salons, they are not as aware of it because their heads are completely slathered with glue in a full head bond. So the glue is probably clogging all their pores or something. then they saturate their scalps with alcohol to get the bond removed and the alcohol starts killing all the built up bacteria so they might not notice a smell . But me personally, I wouldnt want glue and plastic on my scalp for that long. I just think that is very unsanitary. I mean would u want to wear plastic socks for that long?
05-23-2009, 06:58 AM,
I guess their argument is that the way these bonds work, they're fully sealed to the scalp... so there's no room for anything to go anywhere. If it were lace or a looser bond on a skin system, then it would allow outside "stuff" to get under it and cause issues, but if it's totally sealed, water and other things can't get in to create an environment for bacteria to grow.

It went on yesterday, so I suppose we'll see if it's true. If not, I'll likely order from toplace and learn how to do my weekly attachments, I guess. But my lifestyle would make that really hard to manage, so I hope this works!!
05-23-2009, 07:26 AM,
Matt

The majority of people here are those who got fed the BS from salons that looked to create/maintain a stranglehold clientel, where all things hairpiece went through their salon. If you can shower everyday with bathroom time to yourself , you can maintain a 2 hairpiece rotation under heavy sweat conditions. Read my "stress tests" thread on Got2bGlued - I run sprints - do full capacity weight s and am able to get days out of that attachment. A rinse out is all it takes, attaching takes all of 2 minutes & you're done
05-23-2009, 09:40 AM,
Mr new york, you use the got2bglued freeze spray or the spiking glue? Do you use it all over, or just the perimeter?
05-24-2009, 12:27 AM,
Xeon,

Here's the attachment :

1) Make sure scalp is bone dry. Not necessary, but I do an alcohol wipe down & let dry
2) Squeeze out some of the spiking glue & work it to a "just slightly white" thickness layer over the whole bald area
3) Start from front or back according to your preference & start to slightly stretch around the perimeter
** NOTE ** I did it back to front for the first time & my back/sides are the best, most flush to the "line" alignment Ive done so far
4) Take a comb and get betwix the hairs & press down the hairline
5) Take a towel and pull down snug on the whole thing ( except the hairline)
6) Give it a few minutes & go back over the hairline & whole thing with a proper brush to free any hairs that got pressed into the "glue". Since it doesn't stay tacky, it's easy.

Now I'm doing this with a full lace......if you're using any type of skin, I would imagine a RIDICULOUSLY tight bond!
05-24-2009, 08:40 AM,
I get a pretty decent bond on the base, but the front hairline isnt that great. I notice it can lift up in spots pretty easily. thats my only real problem area using the got2bglued spiking glue on skin. Its not that great for the very front hairline for me.