Hello There, Guest! Register

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
How long do you leave product on your piece without washing?
06-07-2009, 03:39 AM,
How long do you leave product on your piece without washing?
Hi guys

I've been lurking for quite sometime now, I actually received my hairpiece few months ago but still havent got down to taking the plunge Smile . I am going for a major surgery in a couple of months so I think I will wait till after my op.

Anyway, just wanted to ask, some people suggest putting product to make the hairpiece look more realistic, and some people say not to wash the piece everyday. So what do you guys who do put product on your piece do? Wash everyday with water/shampoo? Or sleep with product in your hair?

Also, Im actually tempted to take the plunge now but I'm worried about going into an operation with a piece and waking up two days later without it attached! Big Grin
Anybody has any experience/advice?

Regards
06-07-2009, 03:54 AM,
Re: How long do you leave product on your piece without washing?
There are two schools of thought on this. One is that you shouldn't wash the hair any more than you absolutely have to. The second would be that you should keep the hair clean in order to maintain it properly.

I would say the answer lies somewhere in between. Personally, I remove every four days and do a full cleanup each time I remove. I don't wash EVERY day. I don't see that as being necessary.
06-07-2009, 08:48 AM,
drogster Wrote:I've been lurking for quite sometime now, I actually received my hairpiece few months ago but still havent got down to taking the plunge Smile . I am going for a major surgery in a couple of months so I think I will wait till after my op.

You could definitely be doing your research and even get an order sent in the meantime. It could be 5-6 weeks before it comes back if you get a custom piece, which is the most ideal but, obviously, takes longer to get.

With experience, it might seemm kind of wierd, but if you had to go for some major medical issue or whatever you would just go in without the piece.... hospital and medical people have seen a lot of stuff--- this wouldn't be a big deal to them.
06-07-2009, 01:36 PM,
Quote:Jrob wrote:
Personally, I remove every four days and do a full cleanup each time I remove. I don't wash EVERY day. I don't see that as being necessary

Thanks Jrob. Do you use other products other then bluemax conditioner? Gels, etc?

Quote:Tapehead wrote:
it might seemm kind of wierd, but if you had to go for some major medical issue or whatever you would just go in without the piece.... hospital and medical people have seen a lot of stuff--- this wouldn't be a big deal to them.

Hehe, I'll be under general asthetic, so will be out cold for a few days. I wont be worried if its just the medical staff but imagine waking up with the piece loose and all your family and friends seeing.. Big Grin.
Just wonder if anybody got advice on a strong attachment that will last for a few days while i'm unconcious. By the way, i got my hairpiece with me already, so there is no 6 week waiting period.
Been wanting to attach it sooner but these are the 2 concerns I have. haha

Regards
06-07-2009, 02:24 PM,
Don't wash too often, it'll hasten shedding and fading. The less you remove and replace the better for longevity.

I'd be confident going to hospital with the full cap on. But I'd make sure it was really anchored down strong - none of those wimpy 2 day hold glues, or tapes that melt away into the piece in a few days. It would be Duotac back to back so the strong hold side is both on the piece and my skin. This has the stregth of blue tapes but doesn't go off all gooey like those do after a couple of days.

Two to three weeks with absolutely no movement for me with this set up. If I use just one piece of tape on its own it lasts about a week. Only down side of the back to back tape arrangement is that it is a little bulky underneath so you might get busted when those naughty nurses start running their hands through your hair.
06-08-2009, 04:51 AM,
Yeah dude each attachment i've had has lasted longer and longer. It has everything to do with prepping your scalp and how you apply the tape. I was hating on supertape but it got me 5 days in my final attachment. I had to take it off because it was itching the hell out of me after 5 hours of football and it left my scalp abit red but i suppose thats body chemistry. Whenever it comes off i have to wash it.

i dont know what surgery you're having done mate but goodluck. Your head will be covered with a plasticy haircap thing during the procedure and taken off without you realising. But something like that will make no difference to your attachment. Now other than extreme sweating which i doubt i think you'll be fine. Just put the piece on when you're ready.
06-11-2009, 09:54 PM,
Some hospitals ask you to declare if you wear a hairpiece and request you remove it for during your stay in the hospital.
So you may want to wait till after surgery or clarify the hospital policy first.
06-12-2009, 04:27 AM,
sounds like a load of crap to me, but i can't vouch for other strange countries

then again i could be wrong lol but unlikely it just sounds way too bizarre
06-12-2009, 05:45 AM,
drogster,

I mainly stick to Waxworks for styling. I have a generic putty that I got from Sally's that I also use from time to time, but I have to mix a drop of Blue Max with it so it doesn't dry the hair.

It's going to take some time, but I plan to develop some Blue Max styling products that are made specifically for processed hair.

If you can't find it, create it! That's what I say.
06-12-2009, 10:40 AM,
Danger always has a habit of gas bagging or making pointless remarks even though he's clueless.

I worked in California at California Hospital Medical Center as an anesthetist a few years back and the policy then was to remove patients hairpieces, infections (bacteria buildup)and skin irritations are something that hospitals have to consider, control and guard against especially if patients are admitted for long spells.

Therefore there is this policy in place at certain hospitals so check before going in, if it is minor surgery it would not pose a problem, however if you had to be admitted for a few days or more it can be.

It is always best to ask, so you know for sure...that way it can give you peace of mind knowing.

Proper research is a key to success and and a foundation for good knowledge and good practical habits.

But I guess dangerboy knows it all...lol