Hello There, Guest! Register

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Elton John Live - a report!
06-12-2009, 05:48 AM,
Elton John Live - a report!
My sister had a spare ticket for Elton John and none of her friends could go, so I went along. What a great chance to check out that system up close and personal, and from every angle!

There has been a lot of debate about his pieces on this forum in the past, but after seeing him live I can confirm that it's a full cap! The piece looked amazing on the night, and was styled very well indeed. In the past, I didn't think he used full caps. But the latest piece is definitey a full cap, with his own sideburns.

As we know from photos of him online, his hairline is always fantastic and this gig was no exception. His stylist knows how to do a really cool and stylish cut in. The piece made him look much younger than his 62 years.. and that's saying a lot, because this guy is quite overweight, so the piece and his current style obviously does a lot for his overall look. It was gelled with a slight combdown at the front and a bit of a subtle mowhawk down the back. An area of interest was the nape of the neck. If I was to point out the weakest point of this virtually flawless attachment and style, it would certainly be the nape of the neck. The stylist didn't "run it in" to the neck, rather there was a slight "overhang", and it looked like his hair was left slightly long, and jutting out a little bit along the nape. So it wasn't cut short at the bottom and graduated. I think he can get away with this, because a lot of peope are leaving hair at the nape a little bit longer now, especially with the new mowhawk styles. And though nobody would ever notice anything strange, I personally thought the hair at the nape wasn't behaving itself like natural hair would, and it was hanging out just a small bit too much.

Apart from that though, he over all has a very good style and gets a 9/10 from this reviewer!

By the way, the gig was very enjoyable and he's a great performer. Played all the old classics, and never took a break for 2 hours!

His old system looked like this:
[Image: elton_john.jpg]

His new system, which he had at the gig in ireland, was like this:
[Image: Elton%20John%20big.jpg]
06-12-2009, 05:57 AM,
Re: Elton John Live - a report!
lol sounds like you only went to the gig to look at his hair Tongue
06-12-2009, 06:50 AM,
His current hair looks awesome ! And the density is perfect!
Wish I knew how to get that textured look. Maybe it's just highlights ?

I've seen his show a couple of times and he played for almost 3 hours without a break. Great show both times!
06-12-2009, 07:14 AM,
The two things that I highly recommend for a hair system are:

1) Highlights

2) A professional cut-in

Both of these go a long way toward that "textured" look you are talking about.

The highlights are self explanatory, but in my opinion a lot of guys underestimate the realism that a professional cut-in provides. Especially with a full cap.....it's 99% the same as real growing hair (unless the ventilation is funky) so pretty much any stylist can do a cut in. Go to a good one that knows how to texturize and the results can be spectacular.

I'm going to try to post pics of my latest full cap this weekend. It is by far the best cut, style, density, etc of any piece I have ever had. I have probably gotten a dozen compliments on it.

I will even try to include illustrations of the things that make this unit look so good. Aside from the cut, highlights, density, etc. there are several little tricks that add amazing realism.
06-12-2009, 08:58 AM,
Mr. Burns,
Thanks for the review. When you compare the two photos you notice how dense his hair was in the older photo. His hair is less dense in the current photo and much more 'age appropriate.' I've heard that he employs a full time stylist to take care of his hair--not the exactly the Toplace way but with the money he has it's probably pocket change to him.
Regards,
John
06-12-2009, 11:34 AM,
(unless the ventilation is funky)

WHAT DO YOU MEAN BY THIS?

cheers
06-12-2009, 12:28 PM,
jrob! i've heard off 2 people that my hair colour is probably the best for blending as its black and honestly i think its definately the case compared to blonde etc. I know people tell me that my hair looks real enough as it is but do you think if i had highlights like even with black hair it was accentuate its realism? Because i was considering it when i was younger i think it would be cool.
06-12-2009, 08:31 PM,
I'm sure he wears a full cap. I remember reading an article about EJ and a close 'friend' of his said something like ' It's terrible, he hasnt got any hair at all!' Well he has good sideburns, good eyebrows and a stylist who's the dogs bollox so good for EJ!
06-12-2009, 09:50 PM,
Yes JRob, I totally agree that the textured look is down to the highlights. I managed to get that textured look myself with one of my pieces:
[Image: colin_after.jpg]

In the above piece, the textured look was achieved using Jerome Russell BBlonde and also by cutting it in well using the robocut. I should also add that is was an older piece, and had lost some of the density, and actually had some holes in it - I actually think this helped with the textured look.
06-13-2009, 01:19 AM,
I think JRob is right, the highlights help give the appearance of texture but a professional cut-in is necessary to get a really nice true textured look. 8-)