Hello There, Guest! Register

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
First-Timer-Possibly ordered wrong size stock (pics)
03-06-2018, 11:39 AM,
First-Timer-Possibly ordered wrong size stock (pics)
Hi Everybody,

I recently made the mistake of miscalculating the bald area precisely. I intend to keep the front hairline and wear behind it. Due to time constraints on my end, I had to order a Stock for speedy delivery.

I ordered a stock with poly sides and poly at the front.

My problem is that i still have a horse-shoe rim of hair at the top that the salon guy advised is good hair and should keep as much of my own hair as possible.

Unfortunately, the size of the stock is big as in the poly would sit right on the rim of hair and the rim of the hair would need to be shaved. Only then can I make this work. The salon guy advises me to re-order a custom one (smaller sized) so it sits in between the rim of hair and saving as much as my natural hair is highly recommended. Apparently the balding area I have is only 3.5-4 inches wide. According to salon guy, it's really small.

Ive attached a pic of how my current state of affairs is. The second pic with the wider red outline is where the stock that i ordered has it's poly situated. The final pic with the thin red outline is the recommended custom that I should be re-ordering according to the Salon guy. That will leave the rim of natural hair on the outside available.

Finally I am attaching a few pics of the style that I want to ultimately achieve with a system.

1. Should I shave the rim of hair on the sides and attach or should I order a custom one and save this for another year when I lose the rim as well?

2. Since the area is pretty small 3.5 inches to 4 inches wide and I re-order a custom, wouldn't that NOT help me achieve the desired hairstyle? How could such a small piece help achieve the style I am going for?

Thank you so much in advance for any help!

Attached Files Image(s)

03-06-2018, 04:29 PM,
RE: First-Timer - Possibly ordered wrong size stock
Stock pieces are made to be cut down to size. Could you cut the size you need from the stock piece if you cut away the poly rim? It's not a good idea to have poly immediately behind your hairline anyway - it may be detectable when with the natural hair in front.
03-06-2018, 05:47 PM,
(03-06-2018, 04:29 PM)Baldrich Wrote: Stock pieces are made to be cut down to size. Could you cut the size you need from the stock piece if you cut away the poly rim? It's not a good idea to have poly immediately behind your hairline anyway - it may be detectable when with the natural hair in front.

Hey thanks for your response.

If i cut the poly rim. Then it becomes an all lace. Im trying to avoid an all lace as a first timer. Apparently, the style or the hair in the front should be covering the poly in the front according to the salon.
03-06-2018, 06:03 PM,
The alternative is to cut off the poly to size it down but all ill be left with is an ALL LACE.

Ive tried to avoid an all lace because
1. really my first time. poly provides ease
2. poly has firmer attachments
3. i prefer tape instead of glue
4. polys haveless mess and easier cleanup.

ofcourse this is what ive gathered so far from all the reading on here
03-07-2018, 03:12 PM,
RE: First-Timer-Possibly ordered wrong size stock (pics)
Going for all lace is not a disaster - in fact a freshly applied all lace piece is the closest thing in terms of look and feel to having your full head of hair back.

It is true that poly is easier to clean (because you can be rougher with it) and poly does give a nice glatt surface for tape to stick to, but the downside is that the poly rim can be slightly detectable to the touch. So if you are a younger guy, unless you have a very sweaty lifestyle the chances are you will eventually transition to all lace anyway. You can certainly use tape on an all lace piece, and the hold is fine.