Hello There, Guest! Register

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Wear hair over my hair?
10-31-2017, 10:20 AM,
Wear hair over my hair?
I wont drag this out, I want to switch over to a system, I'm very nervous about shaving my head. I'm wondering if anyone has ever been able to wear a system over their current hair, to just get a feel of what it's going to look like or until they are fully okay with the idea of going fully bald.

Thank you!
10-31-2017, 11:42 AM,
RE: Wear hair over my hair?
I did when I first got one. The piece was secured with 2 clips in the back, but I have no hair in the front so that was taped on. I thought it looked great, but now I know it was awful. A salon did it. I'm embarrassed to even think how much I paid for it and it was not even a custom piece, it was a stock. I did not know that at the time. You can tape a piece onto your hair if you go that route, but its best to keep it short.

I was under the impression that a hair piece was some very expensive and technical process that only a salon would know about; how wrong I was!!
10-31-2017, 02:07 PM,
bamac - I never did shave the top of my head, so I wear the HP over my extremely thin bio hair. The front is secured with either liquid adhesive or Got2B Glued, while the sides and back are held down with a gel, hairspray, or Got2B Glued. I used to use clips but they're not really needed. You can see the results here in the last series of images:

http://forum.toplace.com/showthread.php?tid=6491

Of course, you will get the best and most secure hold by shaving your balding area and using either tape or liquid adhesive; however, this works for me, since I remove my system at night and do not wear a HP every day (just a ball cap).
10-31-2017, 04:52 PM,
I just went for it, but it was very very nerve-wracking, especially since I look horrible with a shaved head and my hair loss wasn't that noticeable to most people because I had been using a lot of Toppik. I had two units on hand in case I screwed one up. It went smoothly, though.
11-01-2017, 05:05 AM,
(10-31-2017, 04:52 PM)sp1n3ch0 Wrote: I just went for it, but it was very very nerve-wracking, especially since I look horrible with a shaved head and my hair loss wasn't that noticeable to most people because I had been using a lot of Toppik. I had two units on hand in case I screwed one up. It went smoothly, though.

That was a smart move to have another piece on hand. I did not do that when I first started. Now I have a shoebox full!

How do you like it? Did you bring a picture in for the style you wanted, or just tell them to cut it?

It will all become a lot easier in time, trust me. And don't let a salon charge you an arm and a leg for the cut in. It is hardly any different than cutting real growing hair.

ill bet you look great!
11-02-2017, 07:37 AM,
(11-01-2017, 05:05 AM)thomasgrn Wrote: That was a smart move to have another piece on hand. I did not do that when I first started. Now I have a shoebox full!

How do you like it? Did you bring a picture in for the style you wanted, or just tell them to cut it?

It will all become a lot easier in time, trust me. And don't let a salon charge you an arm and a leg for the cut in. It is hardly any different than cutting real growing hair.

ill bet you look great!

I love it! I can't believe I almost let people on those hair loss forums talk me out of wearing. But reading the forum here is what encouraged me to take the leap. I went to a dr appointment today and the rad tech said "you have very nice hair, by the way". It's been several years since I've heard that!

My wife did the cut in. She used thinning sheers around the ends of the hairpiece and on my natural hair to help the textures blend better. My natural hair is more coarse and not as dense, but it blended pretty well. So far, the hardest part is getting the adhesive out of the lace whenever I take it off. It also takes me a while to get the hairline just right. But the results are worth it.
11-09-2017, 05:29 AM,
(11-02-2017, 07:37 AM)sp1n3ch0 Wrote:
(11-01-2017, 05:05 AM)thomasgrn Wrote: That was a smart move to have another piece on hand. I did not do that when I first started. Now I have a shoebox full!

ill bet you look great!

I love it! I can't believe I almost let people on those hair loss forums talk me out of wearing. But reading the forum here is what encouraged me to take the leap. I went to a dr appointment today and the rad tech said "you have very nice hair, by the way". It's been several years since I've heard that!

My wife did the cut in. She used thinning sheers around the ends of the hairpiece and on my natural hair to help the textures blend better. My natural hair is more coarse and not as dense, but it blended pretty well. So far, the hardest part is getting the adhesive out of the lace whenever I take it off. It also takes me a while to get the hairline just right. But the results are worth it.

I have been wearing for years and still don't get the hairline just right when attaching. Thankfully there is a product called "adjust a bond" it gives you about a minute to move it around on the head before the adhesive starts working. You can probably just use rubbing alcohol for this as well.